Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526382 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2925 on: December 04, 2016, 02:23:51 pm »

Those are not things that you can do in a Dominions 4 mod (adding units with low morale is one thing, changing the game rules and adding new rules is impossible).
No, no... you could. It's not impossible. It's just not something that's supported and would take a lot more work than I think anyone's gotten around to putting into modding a dominions game. You'd have to figure out how to crack the game open and mess with its internals, which is something that usually starts at bloody difficult and scales up to and past ridiculous, but it's not strictly impossible.

Plenty of games get modded through straight up screwing with the game's programming instead of messing with available mod tools or whatev'. It's usually half-way or outright illegal (EULA violation, reverse engineering, etc.), but it's something that happens every once in a while. PC equivalent of an ASM hack of an SNES game or whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: December 04, 2016, 03:01:27 pm »

Those are not things that you can do in a Dominions 4 mod (adding units with low morale is one thing, changing the game rules and adding new rules is impossible).
No, no... you could. It's not impossible. It's just not something that's supported and would take a lot more work than I think anyone's gotten around to putting into modding a dominions game. You'd have to figure out how to crack the game open and mess with its internals, which is something that usually starts at bloody difficult and scales up to and past ridiculous, but it's not strictly impossible.

Plenty of games get modded through straight up screwing with the game's programming instead of messing with available mod tools or whatev'. It's usually half-way or outright illegal (EULA violation, reverse engineering, etc.), but it's something that happens every once in a while. PC equivalent of an ASM hack of an SNES game or whatev'.

Oh, sure, I know that. Like you said, Dominions isn't anything anyone has done it for, and as far as I understand it, every time it updated anyone who did make such a mod would have to reverse-engineer it again to find the new locations of the functions they were screwing with etc etc.

People who have actually done it would know more than me (and I know some of them are on these forums, but I don't know who they are). The extent of my beyond-normal-modding in the past has been reading and altering the data stream between client and server games by using a client-side proxy or replacement winsock dll.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2927 on: December 04, 2016, 04:26:05 pm »

It's also worth mentioning dominions is less true to history and more true to myth. The Dominions Random Number system makes no real sense even if we presume that 30 foot tall fire breathing dragons do exist, it's still possible, no matter how unlikely, to kill that dragon in one hit.

I figure that that's supposed to be the minimal chance that you hit that one dragon in the one place where it had a missing scale and just happened to nick the one artery... (The statistics of said dragon even having such a spot is part of the random chance.)
Check out my books at O and H Books

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: December 04, 2016, 05:26:22 pm »

Every once in a long, long while, the goat pack wins its fight against the dragon. I can accept a lot of other bullshit in the face of that, ehehe.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: December 04, 2016, 05:46:57 pm »

It's also how DFhack works.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: December 04, 2016, 07:40:29 pm »

Yes, I know.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: December 05, 2016, 08:22:30 am »

Alternativly: All the MTG colors (roughly) as nations would be amazing. Sorc/Instants as Spells, Creatures as Creatures..... mhmm

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: December 05, 2016, 09:03:55 am »

Why MTG colors as nations? MTG is already a bloody treasure trove of ideas with its expanded universe. Planeswalkers, the various world inhabitants, the Phyrexian "terrors from beyond", and all sorts of creatures and spells to draw (heh) from, with basically ready-made flavor. Dominions is, as I believe I've said before, the closest anyone's ever come to making an actual MTG TBS. Make the gem sites more common, base the whole economy around every province providing at least one gem of some color, and replace all units that aren't PD with summons. Basically, voila. You're playing MTG: The Strategy Game.

(if your first question is "if all units are summons how do you start?", then the answer is "don't start with a dormant pretender, as that's your only caster at first")
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:05:27 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2933 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:46 am »

(if your first question is "if all units are summons how do you start?", then the answer is "don't start with a dormant pretender, as that's your only caster at first")

What do you mean, "pretender?" Obviously, it's your planeswalker you don't want to be dormant. ;D
Check out my books at O and H Books

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: December 05, 2016, 10:11:15 am »

You know, a nation can start with a mage as one of their starting commanders... Ermor and Lemuria do it, might be a few others but those two I'm 100% sure of. (That said, no one said the mage has to be powerful, for instance Ermor only gets a D2 mage as a starter, understandable considering how Ermor is, but it's really not enough on it's own. If you do a MtG mod in the mass summon flavor, it is something to consider.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: December 05, 2016, 12:16:03 pm »

...I'm not crazy for thinking that, should there be an MTG mod, I would much rather prefer it to contain ther various in lore nations and units associated with them rather than make things one and only one color per nation. Or however it is. I'd recall what they were but my brain is fried at the moment.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: December 05, 2016, 12:27:22 pm »

You're not crazy.  There used to be a lot of one-color nations, but certain settings became famous for their entire schtick being multi-color factions (Ravnica for two-colors and...Alaxia, I believe, Alara for three...Shards of A-something, at least).  It's where a lot of multi-color deck names came from: Bant, Simic, that sort of thing. 

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: December 05, 2016, 12:53:54 pm »

Won't lie, part of me is wondering if you could do a sliver nation in Dom4, now. Would probably involve a lot of commanders with start-of-battle battlefield spells, likely mostly custom ones (pretty sure you can have spells target specific races or somethin' like that, anyway). Not entirely sure if you'd go with spawning, summoning, or gold costs for the things, though... nor how to handle troops. Something pretty similar to that Dom3 fungus mod might work, I'unno.

... I miss that mod, quite a bit. Think I tried to port it once or twice, but can't recall what got in the way (besides competence, anyway).
Ask not!
Ask!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: December 05, 2016, 01:09:14 pm »

Dominions is, as I believe I've said before, the closest anyone's ever come to making an actual MTG TBS.

Enh. You can argue it doesn't closely resemble what MtG has become, but when it was released, Master of Magic was very blatantly, ah, "inspired" by MtG of the time both in terms of lore and more than a few mechanics - moreso IMO than Dom ever has been.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: December 05, 2016, 03:34:56 pm »

Alternativly: All the MTG colors (roughly) as nations would be amazing. Sorc/Instants as Spells, Creatures as Creatures..... mhmm
The colors are more like magic paths than nations. Magic paths coupled with moral philosophies, but not nations. The nations of Dominaria and elsewhere would make good Dominions nations, though. Imagine having the Thran in the EA, and then both sides of the Brother's War in MA, and then I don't know, some neowalker stuff in the LA.

Phyrexia is the only nation I can think of with three ages though, EA with Yawgmoth as a mortal preaching phyresis as a philosophy, perhaps before even coming into the plane of Phyrexia itself (actually, accessing Phyrexia could be a national spell a la Steal the Sun maybe) and Phyrexia during the invasion of Dominaria as MA (monoblack, all the good zombie robots we know and love, able to superimpose Rath as a national spell) and then the invasion of Mirrodin bloc as LA.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 236