Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Money In The Bank  (Read 32292 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: The 1st Punitive Mars Expedition: Destination Unknown [WL:4/6]
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2013, 01:13:54 am »

an explosion so big they can see it from earth.

[That goal is completely acceptable and also hilarious to imagine.]

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2013, 01:17:26 am »

I'm thinking find the planets biggest power production system then overload it, if they are as advanced as I think they are then it should have the " oh god what did I just do.... can I do it again? " effect.

Followed by every living being on the planet coming after me.

Come to think of it, what else can my ammo maker make? If it can make the explosive charge for rockets could it be used to make more refined explosives? In brick form like C4? Only much much stronger.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:31:33 am by Alexandria »
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2013, 01:38:14 am »

[You can make plastiques, yes.]

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2013, 01:42:41 am »

Nice, I'm gonna need quite a lot of it a bit later, I have a nice way to signal any other survivors in the area.

Do we have any special codes for communications or something like that for us to use to communicate with other survivors before we reach the rally point and see how many others made it?
Like special comm channels? Or a special kind of code similar to morse code?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:03:26 am by Alexandria »
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2013, 04:11:06 am »

I'm thinking find the planets biggest power production system then overload it, if they are as advanced as I think they are then it should have the " oh god what did I just do.... can I do it again? " effect.
[Sadly, that won't work. Kai use fusion power plants, which are decidedly non explosive. In fact, they're more likely to implode than explode. This counts for pretty much every type of power generation in existence, save for Matter-Antimatter annihilation plants, or the very first drafts of nuclear fission plants. Sadly, the first is actually a net energy consumer*, and hence won't be build. The second is practically impossible, and a very bad idea.

*Particle arcelerators require lots of energy, and you need them to make the antimatter

Unless, of course, they decide to run them on tropes.]

Actually, I think it might be more interesting to visit the terraforming installation. It should have decent comms equipment, and it's nuclear generator might still be functional.* Also, have any of you ever heard of the Osterhagen Project?

*First gen terraformer + lot's of power use = Nuclear is the only option
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:57:10 am by 10ebbor10 »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2013, 12:13:57 pm »

[Three things. One, what would we do with a nuclear power plant. Two, how much power does a smoke factory need. And three, there is psychicness. Don't try and be physics. Physics and psychics look alike, but can't stand each other.]

[Oh, and you forgot Explosive Power Generators. Those are explosive by nature, but are usually pretty small. They're like ammo for laser weapons.]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2013, 12:26:32 pm »

(( Overloading It for a massive implosion works, either way sends the appropriate I'm going to kill you all message to the aliens. ))
Now it never would.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »

(( Overloading It for a massive implosion works, either way sends the appropriate I'm going to kill you all message to the aliens. ))
Implosions aren't massive. If you're lucky, you can manage to knock out the reactor itself.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2013, 01:18:30 pm »

(( Not really, it's a game not a science report xo I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be realistic. ))
Now it never would.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2013, 01:51:20 pm »

an explosion so big they can see it from earth.

[That goal is completely acceptable and also hilarious to imagine.]

((OOC: That has just given me an idea. You know that massive manufacturing plant? you know you said it could make 'pretty much anything'?

Could it make...oh, i dont know, several dozen thermonuclear bombs?

Which we could then use to cause havoc?))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2013, 02:09:24 pm »

[It needs to have the materials. Fissile materials are pretty rare. Though well, maybe we could salvage some power supply generators.

[Three things. One, what would we do with a nuclear power plant. Two, how much power does a smoke factory need. And three, there is psychicness. Don't try and be physics. Physics and psychics look alike, but can't stand each other.]

[Oh, and you forgot Explosive Power Generators. Those are explosive by nature, but are usually pretty small. They're like ammo for laser weapons.]
We could use it to solve all our power needs, salvage it to make a dirty bomb, or trigger a runaway reaction(meltdown). It won't leave a big mark, but it will release quite a bit of radiation, and give those below something to think about.

Lots. Basically, the only thing a tier one terraforming plant has to work with are the underground, and the icelayers and gasses locked within. I assume that it works by melting the ice, running the result through the reactor(where it splices into oxygen and hydrogen), and then venting those into the surroundings. Needs quite a lot of temperature if you want to make a dent in the temperatures in the next 10 000 years.

And well yes, but those hardly make very big explosion. In general, power reactors focus on a controlled release of energy.

(( Not really, it's a game not a science report xo I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be realistic. ))
I like realism. A lot. It allows me to make big assumptions like those above.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2013, 02:28:15 pm »

((Everybody is making plans for explosions and I'm trying to think of where a good place to make a cave would be.))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2013, 02:30:28 pm »

[I like realism too. But...psychic aliens. Who are able to be psychic with humans. Physics just had an aneurysm. And we don't have power problems yet. And, this being Sci Fi, I can be pretty sure there'll be a reactor of some sort in the holdfast, too.]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2013, 02:34:47 pm »

It's more likely to use a smaller reactor, or maybe use solar.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2013, 02:50:17 pm »

((OOC: i think, based on the time period, all human technology would probably be based on Nuclear Fusion, with maybe solar and wind powering small self sufficient places like holdfasts. Still, it might be best to go to a holdfast first. We need supplies. and RAW.

Also, how far terraformed is Mars? is the atmosphere breathable?)).

IC:

To be honest, I'd rather hit as many places as possible. We need RAW and supplies, but preferably RAW. I'd prefer to hit the terraforming station first. and then everywhere else that might be of use. Hell, we could also see if we can infiltrate the manufacturing plant and commandeer some of the machinery to build some things that can go boom. It would at least give the Xeno's a headache....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:54:28 pm by kahn1234 »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38