Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 969 970 [971] 972 973 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 977223 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14550 on: May 31, 2014, 09:58:03 am »

well, we still have plenty time to work on the system, if people want it at all

also, I thin people used endurance when the magical attack was physical in nature, like a fireball
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14551 on: May 31, 2014, 09:59:54 am »

also, not quite sure how mana like that would work with ICARUS ability

Double her stats I guess? Or increase them by half or something.

also, I thin people used endurance when the magical attack was physical in nature, like a fireball

Other people then. I've been using Mind to reduce damage regardless of the magical effect.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14552 on: May 31, 2014, 10:00:33 am »

Uh, no. That's not what the stat does. It protects against physical attacks and is the main attribute for health. Mind is for magic attacks, aiming, resisting, and hitting hard with them.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14553 on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:45 am »

well rather than discussing the old system, KJ, thoughts on the proposed one?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14554 on: May 31, 2014, 10:03:33 am »

No. I don't want a new system. It seems like the big problem was people not actually using the stats right for some odd reason. We don't need this overly complicated system.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14555 on: May 31, 2014, 10:05:18 am »

nonsense, people using end against magic attacks happened rarely, and made barely any difference. the problem is that right now, dex does absolutely everything, and the stats are *horribly* out of proportion towards dice and healthpools

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14556 on: May 31, 2014, 10:06:54 am »

No. I don't want a new system. It seems like the big problem was people not actually using the stats right for some odd reason. We don't need this overly complicated system.

Mind is for magic attacks, aiming, resisting, and hitting hard with them.

Kj, the old system was more complicated than this new one. You had stats affecting multiple things and certain stats were used over other ones in different situations. The fact that no one used Mind properly is an indication of how confusing it was. In this new system Skill affects how well you can hit enemies period. Speed affects how well you can dodge. That's it, period, no complications or confusing situations. And that's not even counting Akroma's points of how the old system was obviously unbalanced to heck and back.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14557 on: May 31, 2014, 10:09:10 am »

And your point is? People will just end up doing it again. Nothing will change except things getting more complicated for GMs. We do not need this overly complicated system.

Mind is for magic attacks, aiming, resisting, and hitting hard with them.

Kj, the old system was more complicated than this new one. You had stats affecting multiple things and certain stats were used over other ones in different situations. The fact that no one used Mind properly is an indication of how confusing it was. In this new system Skill affects how well you can hit enemies period. Speed affects how well you can dodge. That's it, period, no complications or confusing situations. And that's not even counting Akroma's points of how the old system was obviously unbalanced to heck and back.
That sounds stupid. It's still going to cause people to use those stats over all else and and the only difference is them have less points in the long run for it.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14558 on: May 31, 2014, 10:13:56 am »

without a d50 to be added to your damage relevant stats, just taking those two will mean you will deal no damage whatsoever. this system is NOT more complicated, it is more simple. Each stat has just one use, and the lack of adding dice to them that stand in no balance whatsoever to what is going on only makes it more silly. Just look at the math I did regarding Luthar. It would take 40 turns to kill him, plus 10-ish turns to kill his demons. Look at the past turns, we are losing already - we simply can not play out 50 turns - which would also take like 2 months. That's not balanced at all. None of the numbers stand in relation to eachother whatsoever

edit: also the new system is less mah intensive, allowing for smoother turns

editedit: also, it's harder to minmax. Whatever you focus on, one field has to suffer, and it not being there does actually hinder you.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:16:19 am by Akroma »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14559 on: May 31, 2014, 10:15:44 am »

And you think adding more stats that weaken everyone if they don't take them is the answer? That's a horrible answer.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14560 on: May 31, 2014, 10:19:00 am »

And you think adding more stats that weaken everyone if they don't take them is the answer? That's a horrible answer.
Actually, USEC and Akroma's systems look pretty good to me. I wouldn't mind them at all.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14561 on: May 31, 2014, 10:21:17 am »

to avoid unbalanced minmaxing where some stats are simply HUGELY overpowered? Yes that is my answer.

the old system is flawed and everyone except you keeps complaining about it. if my answer is so terrible, go and find a better one, I am all ears.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14562 on: May 31, 2014, 10:23:45 am »

You act like no one will try to minmax their stats anyways. It's a symptom of playing games where you can control your stats. It doesn't matter if the game suddenly has more focused stats.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14563 on: May 31, 2014, 10:26:41 am »

I try very hard NOT to min max as I like to think my characters in these types of games. I like to think my characters are trying to fit a role their not often suited for.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14564 on: May 31, 2014, 10:35:43 am »

they can try to minmax, but at least now you can't minmax with just 1-2 stats. Everything has drawbacks for being low

No health? No need to explain why this is bad
No mana? Having mana is so useful that not having any left is very disadvantageous
No Speed? get hit lots
No Skill? Don't hit shit
No Mag? Your powers will be weaksauce
No Strength? Your attacks will be weaksauce - and when mana runs out....
No Defence? Take tons of damage.
No Resistance? Also take tons of damage.
No Mind? Well, I guess this one is a bit less important, yes

as it is now?

No Strength? You deal d50 damage anyway, Str is just a small bonus
No Mag? Bitch, you can basicaly choose wether your powers take mag or mind during char creation anyway, pick your fill.
No Mind? Well, you get your powers from mag then, and since you can just dodge fireballs with dex just fine...
No Endurance? Dex will handle it.
No dex? You are fucked

with the old system you just need *one* stat to be effective, it covers all bases, and the d50 covers all others.

with the new system, without the dice, there is no singular stat that can keep you safe and effective at the same time. People can still try to minmax, no system is safe from players who intend to exploit it - but it is a lot harder to do so with this system.

Anyway, minmax is really not the point, the point is that in the current system, the stat-numbers, the dice, and the size of mana and healthpool are all set in arbitrary sizes, none set with the other in mind. It's unbalanced. to a degree where stuff like Luthar taking 50 turns to kill is easily done.
Pages: 1 ... 969 970 [971] 972 973 ... 1030