Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3716 3717 [3718] 3719 3720 ... 4748

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 IC Thread: Antimagic and gods and souls oh my  (Read 3023549 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 IC Thread: Rising from the ashes
« Reply #55755 on: March 23, 2014, 11:06:01 am »

<Oh I get your point, I just chose to ignore it, as it displeases me.>
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #55756 on: March 23, 2014, 11:07:05 am »

<Sigh...>

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55757 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:27 am »

<What? Never heared of tolerance and diversity? You don't need to go around and spread your worldview so everyone believes in it. That's just offensive.>
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #55758 on: March 23, 2014, 11:12:41 am »

<True. But it's science :< I had it drilled into my head like, five billion times. And it's more useful than just believing, isn't it?>

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55759 on: March 23, 2014, 11:18:42 am »

<That is indoctrination. Meanwhile I read on the subject, and from that information made my own amalgamation of ideology. I think that is better. Also, while your model may describe some aspects of souls, it does not explain all of them, nor does it disprove other models that also accurately describe souls, nor is it properly combinable with other sciences. So it's not even proven to be correct in it's entirety, you just happen to have it indoctrinated into your worldview as the most acceptable answer to a problem that even most gods likely only have a rudimentary understanding of. And that is all fine and dandy, believe whatever you chose to believe, but please don't be offended when I find it less easy to just accept and then prevent as fact.>

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #55760 on: March 23, 2014, 11:25:11 am »

<Eh, maybe it's been indoctrinated into me, but the Spirit Department at least did a pretty damn good job of pretending people are going out and testing it, refining it. Like any model, it's just that. A model that happens to be the one that works best. And besides: Quantum mechanics and general relativity don't play well together, but that doesn't mean either of them is false. Things are simply complex and difficult to explain. Same with ours. Sure, it's a little rough around the edges, but for all intents and purposes it works. And at least at home, it's a bit more useful than string theory. There are spells that make specific use of it, and I've used a few of them in my time.

I'm from a thousand-year-old  educational city state. Honestly, if we didn't embrace the scientific method on everything ever, including fate, souls, and narrativium, I probably wouldn't exist right now. All I'm saying is that simply believing  in things is a bit weak.>

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55761 on: March 23, 2014, 11:33:24 am »

<It's not useful here though. Your model will no more make anyone overcome existential dread than an explanation of the dipol nature of the water molecule will quench someones thirst. If Kyle does not believe in souls, he will not particularly care wether some "spirit department" at some point in the past declared that their interpretation of some data that they may or may not have gained supports the existance of a "spirit field". Even a gods explanation is likely pointless. Just because they can manipulate and maybe even create souls doesn't mean they actually know a thing about them. A child can throw a ball, can it explain to you gravity, or the biology of his muscles? It can tell you that the ball is round, and that he took it from the toybox, where is mother put it, and that when he moves his arm in a certain way, the ball will fly for a short distance. All of those are accurate and true observations, but they don't mean anything.>

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #55762 on: March 23, 2014, 11:36:11 am »

<...it's not about overcoming someone's existential dread, though. Or convincing Kyle, although that would be nice.>

<It's like you're having a conversation, but not really.>

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55763 on: March 23, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »

<Beeps annoyed inquiring how to turn off this stupid bracelet, whirring that between this pointless pseudo-philosophical discussion and the wailing of grieving civilians around him he is barely able to concentrate on the paperwork>
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55764 on: March 23, 2014, 12:37:08 pm »

<You just have to loudly think the word : ->

ICARUS transmission suddenly cuts off.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55765 on: March 23, 2014, 12:52:54 pm »

<Aww dangit. the word is the opposite of ON. So, what happened in the ASMRA headquarters? Why were you so...different?>

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #55766 on: March 23, 2014, 01:01:34 pm »

<You'd be correct in void beings not having souls. Most of the time. At least, void-born don't.>
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55767 on: March 23, 2014, 01:03:32 pm »

<What about you? I mean, you were not born in the void, but you died here, and were re-born in the void - twice. Is your soul already in heaven, and your void-made body soulless?>

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55768 on: March 23, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »

<Aww dangit. the word is the opposite of ON. So, what happened in the ASMRA headquarters? Why were you so...different?>

<Buzzes that he has no idea what you mean, beeping he was just dazed from climbing so many stairs so fast. Whirrs that now at least that's not a concern anymore, as the rubble of what was the ASMRA HQ is no where near as high as it was before.>
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55769 on: March 23, 2014, 01:05:59 pm »

<I know a robot when I see one. For a moment, you totaly were a robot, but later you weren't. Maybe you have a magic ability that allows you to turn into a robot, and all the stress activated it?>
Pages: 1 ... 3716 3717 [3718] 3719 3720 ... 4748