Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Command Line World Gen  (Read 1498 times)

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Command Line World Gen
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:51:31 pm »

So, I've been playing around with world gen and legends mode lately.  I've been using the Windows SDL version from the command line to gen my worlds.  (Script here if anyone wants to see it: http://pastebin.com/WADBTCRL )

Anyway, I've had two issues.

The first, I can't seem to get the seed to work from the command line.  I've tried words, numbers and I copy/pasted the seed from an existing world, and the new worlds all end up having a seed of "null" (and with the same seed, they all end up identical.)  However, if I use the seed "RANDOM", it works (but with a random seed, of course).  Am I doing something wrong?  My command line: df.exe -gen $region_id $seed $worldgentitle
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Command_line

The second issue, I created a world with an interesting history.  I'm trying to rerun the world another few years to see what happens next.  I copy/pasted the parameters from region1-world_gen_param into data/init/world_gen.txt, changed the title & end year, and let it run.  The world's name and geography is the same, but the history is different.  I tried from within DF, and using the command line, and can't figure it out.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Command Line World Gen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:29:58 pm »

The second issue, I created a world with an interesting history.  I'm trying to rerun the world another few years to see what happens next.  I copy/pasted the parameters from region1-world_gen_param into data/init/world_gen.txt, changed the title & end year, and let it run.  The world's name and geography is the same, but the history is different.  I tried from within DF, and using the command line, and can't figure it out.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I believe I've heard somewhere that changing the end year of world gen will result in creatures being named differently.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!