Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 132299 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 12 - Shooting the Messenger
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2013, 08:03:14 pm »

Ekoka swears in the Southern tongue. (Well, one of them, but they all sound the same to northerners.)

Attempt to use Earth magic to turn the rocky things into a proper hand.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2013, 08:16:08 pm »

"Well this is...not great. Hey Cyrus, anything on your end?"
Still avoid Ekoka. Also avoid the body. Hang around Cyrus. Try to be better at the detection magic.

((By the way, was using life magic for detection something that surprised you, or was it something you figured would happen sooner or later?))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2013, 11:25:23 pm »

((By the way, was using life magic for detection something that surprised you, or was it something you figured would happen sooner or later?))
No, you surprised me there. I didn't even think of that application, but it certainly would work. And as such a minor crafting, Ekoka could do it too - though his range would be about a third of yours, I would imagine.

When I created this magic system, I was hoping you two would get creative in its application. That's why I've been so nebulous about what it can do. So I'm surprised, but definitely pleased!

GWG, good luck with your spell. That's another application I didn't exactly see coming, so I really hope it succeeds. It'll be difficult, but lets find out!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2013, 11:50:42 pm »

"I sense something disturbing about the body. Something unquantifiable, at the edge of perception."

Identify what the source of this wrongness may be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2013, 12:02:07 am »

When you're that general, expect creativity.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2013, 01:14:39 am »

When you're that general, expect creativity.
:D I know! It's like an adventure. Keep surprising me!
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2013, 08:01:41 am »

Double-check the body's wounds. Pay attention to any wounds that look like they could be inflicted by claws or teeth.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2013, 11:20:11 am »

"What in the bloody fuck is going on here...better get in the crow's ne-...oh...."

Get my bow ready, climb on top of the carriage and sweep my gaze in a 360° circle, looking very carefully for anything out of place 

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2013, 01:53:46 pm »

No, you surprised me there. I didn't even think of that application, but it certainly would work. And as such a minor crafting, Ekoka could do it too - though his range would be about a third of yours, I would imagine.

When I created this magic system, I was hoping you two would get creative in its application. That's why I've been so nebulous about what it can do. So I'm surprised, but definitely pleased!

GWG, good luck with your spell. That's another application I didn't exactly see coming, so I really hope it succeeds. It'll be difficult, but lets find out!
((So will "canon" difficulties of spell uses be determined by how easily we succeed at things? I mean detection seems like a minor thing, but if I keep failing it will you eventually come up with a reason for that?))

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2013, 08:09:55 pm »

((So will "canon" difficulties of spell uses be determined by how easily we succeed at things? I mean detection seems like a minor thing, but if I keep failing it will you eventually come up with a reason for that?))
:P yep, that your character sucks at detection magic.

Since it's so simple and you're rank 2 I should probably be giving you a +1 to your roll. It wouldn't have changed this roll much... Hmm. Maybe a +1 for each rank between caster level and spell level? Or maybe a +1 for every two. Either way it'll result in more hulkification, which might be interesting if applied to your party members.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 13 - It's Quiet. Too Quiet
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2013, 07:25:48 am »

GWG and BFEL both cast magic! Neither of them blow their limbs off!

Astounding.

- Turn 13: It’s Quiet. Too Quiet -

You’ve tried to search the body and come up snake-eyes. Time to get a closer look…

"I sense something disturbing about the body. Something unquantifiable, at the edge of perception."

Identify what the source of this wrongness may be.
"I sense something disturbing about the body. Something unquantifiable, at the edge of perception," you mutter. The others take a step back as you kneel next to the body once more, this time to take a proper look at the body itself instead of its worth.

(3+1)”DEMONS!” You yell and tumble backwards. The aura around those wounds is unmistakeably demonic, but… tempered with something. There’s certainly more to this than just demons eating people, but you’re far too shaken to work out what.

Demons, this far south? Oh dear.

Double-check the body's wounds. Pay attention to any wounds that look like they could be inflicted by claws or teeth.
Lyu stumbles back from the body and shouts about demons. That worries you a tad. You’ve never seen anything shake the forever-smiling priest. Shrugging, you crouch down to get a more temporal examination.

(2) The body definitely has no bite marks, but the wounds look absolutely nothing like any animal you’ve ever seen before. They look… “Human?” You mutter.

Lyu Brak shakes his head emphatically. “Demon. Can’t be human.”

Cyrus, silent until now, steps forward. “I’ve heard… tales… of demons taking over human bodies. What about that?”

The Yagalian priest shakes his head again. “Demons are… animals. From a different plane of existence. They’re not intelligent. And I’ve never heard of a demon capable of… taking over. Not in a dozen years of being a priest in Yagal.”

You shrug. Guess your wound-identification skills are better suited to weapons than animal attacks.

Ekoka swears in the Southern tongue. (Well, one of them, but they all sound the same to northerners.)

Attempt to use Earth magic to turn the rocky things into a proper hand.
You swear, loudly. It translates roughly to “Son of a bitch!” Cyrus looks at you for a second before shrugging and turning back to the body.

You decide that a rocky hand is better than nothing. Focusing the peculiar, dusty orange-brown magic of the Earth into your hand, you bend down and press the stump against the ground.

(5) Petrichor hits your nose first. Wan orange light plays out along the ground and pebbles clatter towards you. They swiftly pile up around your stump. As you straighten, the pebbles cling to the stump as though magnetically bound together. They form the rough shape of a spindly hand.

You don’t have any movement or feeling in your hand, but you probably could… With your other hand, you shape the rocks into a rough fist. It stays. So you can’t control it, but you can get some use out of it.

Limb Gained: Lesser Rock Hand! It’s inanimate, but poseable. Like an action figure. Later, with better skill, you could probably remould it from a slightly more suitable material (You think wistfully of a hand crafted from copper) and even animate it! Enchant it, reshape it, who knows.

Perfect Earth Casting! +1 exp!

(3) Your creative and exploratory magic takes a toll on your body. You feel your arms and legs cramp up painfully. Bit of stretching and you should be good, though.

"What in the bloody fuck is going on here...better get in the crow's ne-...oh...."

Get my bow ready, climb on top of the carriage and sweep my gaze in a 360° circle, looking very carefully for anything out of place 
"What in the bloody fuck is going on here...better get in the crow's ne-...oh...." Not for the last time, you curse your captain for deciding to abandon ship and walk fifty miles inland to Shas Isa. Why the hell did you follow him? You’re probably nuts.

You take your shortbow out of the carriage and rub the stave between your hands before bending and stringing it in a practiced motion. The glue seems to be holding nicely! Awesome. You climb onto the carriage roof and crouch low, one arrow nocked and ready.

"Well this is...not great. Hey Cyrus, anything on your end?"
Still avoid Ekoka. Also avoid the body. Hang around Cyrus. Try to be better at the detection magic.
"Well this is...not great. Hey Cyrus, anything on your end?" You edge away from the experimenting mage and towards Cyrus, but he seems to be coming up with nothing. They seem to have the dead body in hand, so you turn back to your magic.

(4) A wave of green light pulses from your outstretched hand, reverberating through the forest for a quarter of a mile in every direction. There’s life everywhere. Birds, foxes, deer, bugs, even a few rabbits. Your companions burn brightly in your mind’s eye. And just on the edge of your perception in what must be the village, a dwindling flame.

Huh.

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)

Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 13 - It's Quiet. Too Quiet.
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2013, 08:14:45 am »

Thuun addresses his comrades and passes on the frightening revelation: "It went to the village."

:P yep, that your character sucks at detection magic.

Since it's so simple and you're rank 2 I should probably be giving you a +1 to your roll. It wouldn't have changed this roll much... Hmm. Maybe a +1 for each rank between caster level and spell level? Or maybe a +1 for every two. Either way it'll result in more hulkification, which might be interesting if applied to your party members.
((If you feel roll bonuses are necessary you could do what piecewise does for "dynamic bonuses" in ER, specifically you could have any roll with that bonus go toward a 5, so a 6 would get a -1, but a 2 would get a +1.
That would make more sense for bonuses based on being particularly good with that magic at least.))
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:17:21 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19:24 am »

((If you feel roll bonuses are necessary you could do what piecewise does for "dynamic bonuses" in ER, specifically you could have any roll with that bonus go toward a 5, so a 6 would get a -1, but a 2 would get a +1.
That would make more sense for bonuses based on being particularly good with that magic at least.))

Hmm. I actually rather like that idea. I might just consider that. Thanks!
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2013, 08:25:39 am »

Hmm. I actually rather like that idea. I might just consider that. Thanks!
((YAY! I'm helpful!))

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2013, 08:26:33 am »

"Ah. Yes. How terribly wonderful," Lyu replies to Thuun, wondering what he did to deserve this. Can't a man just break some shins and get away with it occasionally? Really, now.

Compose myself. It's just a demon. Yagalia's full of the dang things, and most adventurous people there have at least one as a pet. So get it together already.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 74