Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 79

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall Part 3: the Second Group... (Timeskip done)  (Read 73483 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Quote from: What started it all
POOF!! You are Dwarves!
You are at a Mountain!
You have picks, supplies, food for the winter, ere the Wolves grow hungry.

How would the population of the forums deal with a Dwarfish World?
Who would be the leaders?
What would be built or dug?

And most important of all... What would the NAME Of the fort be?
BayForm? Fortress Bay? Baynet?
YOU CHOOSE!

The second thread of the first continuity was fairly recently bumped back up again by Hugo's attempted continuation of the story.  However, the thread appears to have breathed its last from the length of the hiatus imposed upon it, and a general lack of any pathlines to follow for the majority of the players still left.  However, it being bumped again reminded me of the events, and stirred a longing within to go through it again.  However, with my major character dead, and two of three replacements hospitalized, with the third requiring more things to happen, I really could not do anything.  Thinking back, I recalled that this really only began to become a problem after the players slowly began to drop off for various reasons.  No new players could be introduced at that point for the most part, so it was a case of continual decline til it became that nothing could be done.

Then something came to mind.  Since there really was nothing that could be done with the characters of the old thread, since their portion of the story had reached its resolution.  However, the main antagonists, Clockwork, Ollioli, the Apprentice, and the one behind the taking, were still alive and acting.  Therefore, there had to be more to the story, but the old characters had finally reached the point that they could no longer continue, because of the resolution of their part had already come.  Therefore, the continuation must be in the hands of others, so I thought for a time, and came to the conclusion that a new thread should be created.

The events of this thread will take place sixty years after the end of the old story, within an entirely new universe created to prevent the new group from meeting up with the old for a long time, if at all.  There is still the possibility of a meeting, because of the various link-ups between all the universes of the DF multiverse, but it is extremely unlikely.  In order to prevent the confusion of time that wound up resulting within the first attempt at a (now out of canon) restart, whenever you feel as if your character cannot do anything more, put a triple horizontal rule, followed by a bolded statement of what your character will be doing over the period of time that will be skipped after all players have made the triple horizontal rule.  At the point all players make the triple horizontal rule, four hours will be skipped.  The day will work on a 20 hour clock, 12 hours of daylight, and 8 hours of night.  Unless someone wishes to perform an action during the night, it will just be skipped to the next morning.

In order to give an idea of how long a task will take, there is a calculation of how long it will take based upon the Skills you should put in your first post.  Be as honest as possible.  The calculation is X/(Y+1), with X being the length of time (in hours) it would take to preform the task, and Y being the skill level, with untrained (below dabbling) being 0 and legendary being 16.  The length of time is as follows: Workshop construction - 140 hours, Task at a workshop - 70 hours, Construction of a 1 DF block area for a wall, bridge, etc - 40 hours, Mining a standard DF block area  - 20 hours, Mining a 1 block area of soil or engraving a 1 block area - 10 hours.  (Note: Soil can only have a 3x3 meter cubed opening in it without collapsing, and rock can have only a 7x7 meter cubed area opening in it without a collapse.  Furthermore, the soil must have a 2 meter buffer zone above the opening to prevent collapse, and rock must have a 1 meter thick buffer zone above the opening to prevent a collapse.)

For a skill to level up to the next rank, the formula is X^2, with X being the next skill level up, dabbling being 1, and legendary 16.

As a final note: you can come in as any race that has a vanilla DF civilization.

Edit: In the universe that all forumite characters were taken from, DF 1.0 was released sometime late Q4 of 2014.

TVtropes page for If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:08:07 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:07:49 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall Part 3: the Second Group...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:52:31 pm »

Zanzetkuken awakens upon the ground.  After dealing with a minor headache, he thinks Where am I? after discovering he is not where he was just a few seconds ago.  Last I remember is I was downloading version 1.0 of Dwarf Fortress...shit.

Zanzetkuken looks around him and sees various people of varying appearance around him also coming to their senses.  He sees a small cave nearby at the base of a large hill, and what he thought might be there.  After checking that he is not dreaming, he wanders over to the embark wagon and begins to rummage around to see what is inside.

Quote from: Character
Race: Human

Skills
Adequate Miner (4/16)
Competent Woodcutter
Novice Carpenter (Rusty)
Competent Grower
Competent Herbalist
Adequate Woodburner
Competent Fisherman
Novice Mechanic
Dabbling Knapper (Rusty)
Competent Swimmer
Dabbling Appraiser
Adequate Building Designer
Novice Organizer
Proficient Records Keeper
Competent Archer
Competent Bowman
Adequate Dodger
Dabbling Shield User (Rusty)
Novice Swordsman
Novice Comedian
Proficient Reader
Competent Student
Novice Teacher (Rusty)
Competent Military Tactics
Dabbling Bowyer
Adequate Writer
Adequate Animal Caretaker
Novice Mason

(My old character's soul was split apart in his transfer over, the loss being replaced with power.  A majority of the soul went here, so this one is only going to have a quite weak ability.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:59:40 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:50:43 pm »

I'll join, I suppose.

Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:11:13 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 10:51:05 pm »

"Hey! You there! What's going on?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 11:12:50 pm »

"Hey! You there! What's going on?"

"Best guess is an If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall scenario.  Can you help me see if there's a sword or something in here?  The best bet for shelter right now is that cave over there, and who knows what's in it!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:17:23 pm »

"If there's a sword, don't touch it...Shouldn't there be five other guys?"
Sig

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:33:57 pm »

"If there's a sword, don't touch it...Shouldn't there be five other guys?"

"Still have yet to wake up.  And there may be more scattered about.  'Mountain Hall had more than 40 when it started.  And why are you so worried about touching a sword?"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »

"...Dude. HFS."
Sig

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 11:39:19 pm »

Spoiler: RangerCado (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

"...Why am I not waking up?" Is pinching self a lot.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:37:59 pm by RangerCado »
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 11:49:38 pm »

"...Dude. HFS."

"Oh yeah.  I doubt whom or whatever brought us here would need to stoop to those levels so soon.  And besides, this is an embark wagon, low chance of stuff being trapped before we even get started..."  Zanzetkuken paused for a second before continuing.  "Alright, whom or whatever sent us here is definitely fucking with us."  As those words were said, he held up two compound bows.  "I'm gonna call dibs on one of these."

"...Why am I not waking up?" Is pinching self a lot.

" 'Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall scenario!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 11:52:42 pm »

"Thought you meant in the cave. Hey, new guy. Suppose we should start introducing ourselves. I'm GreatWyrmGold on the forums."

((Weren't we supposed the be giving ourselves skills like what we had IRL? Did I misunderstand?))
Sig

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 11:59:07 pm »

"Thought you meant in the cave. Hey, new guy. Suppose we should start introducing ourselves. I'm GreatWyrmGold on the forums."

Zanzetkuken extends an open hand after setting down one of the compound bows, and grabbing a quiver with 30 arrows.  "Zanzetkuken."

((Weren't we supposed the be giving ourselves skills like what we had IRL? Did I misunderstand?))

(Real-life skills transferred to DF skills.  There's a link to a list in the OP.)

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 12:00:41 am »

((...oh... then only half my skills are valid, Boman still fits though :) . Changing now.))

"RangerCado... call me Cado. Why is it always me?"
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 12:10:17 am »

"RangerCado... call me Cado. Why is it always me?"

"Quit complaining.  If the events of that had happened parallel to this, then I've been in this thrice...somehow.  And Hugo wound up having his soul split in two.  Then transformed into an ethereal spirit.  Then transformed into a dragon.  And before all that he was erased from time..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 79