Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153547 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2015, 02:43:59 pm »

Priest is the worst yo.  Every game against a priest is exactly the same.
Shoes...

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 03, 2015, 02:53:52 pm »

Priest vs Priest is the most skillful matchup in the game. A streamer once said of the matchup, "Nothing actually matters until someone wins". It's a glorious match of cards being played that have no net effect and everything going everywhere.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 03, 2015, 03:32:31 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:20:32 pm by penguinofhonor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 03, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »

The issue with a new hero power is that the classes are designed with the hero power in mind.  The warrior power isn't super essential, it's mostly good for trading with weapons, but a new power would need cards that synergize with it.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 03, 2015, 04:21:54 pm »

I think it'll be fine, not all decks/classes have synergy with with hero power. And there are certainly a lot of possibility for decks, I would think that even one that is not immediately useful would still eventually find it's place in some decks down the road. The only class that I can't see working quite easily without it's current hero power is warlock (and I guess maybe priest, but priest could if it got a focus shift like patron did for warrior). Since just about every card they have is made with their hero power in mind.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 03, 2015, 05:33:03 pm »

The thing about a lot of class cards is that they're designed with the hero power in mind, one way or another. Warlock class cards suck dicks because the hero power is the best in the game. Rogue weapons are designed with "removes your hero power" in mind, as are weapon buffing cards, which have to be ridiculous in any other class because they can't reliably have a weapon. Take any class and swap the hero power with another's.

Druid with Life tap: This deck is utter bullshit, Blizz pls nerf.
Oil Rogue with Fireblast: Where'd my win condition go?
Warrior with Steady Shot: I guess I can't control now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 03, 2015, 05:56:53 pm »

I think it'll probably be cosmetic and will feature a hero from the opposite faction, so, for instance, an alliance character to replace garrosh or a horde character to replace jaina.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 03, 2015, 06:11:18 pm »

I mean, if you don't want to use the most egregious examples.

Druid with mage: Who cares
Druid with Paladin: Who cares
Druid with shaman: Who cares
Druid with hunter: Interesting, but not that interesting
Druid with priest: Probably better then their base one but not that exciting
Druid with rogue: who cares
Druid with warrior: who cares

I could do eight more classes, but I won't because they are all like that. (Except like I mentioned Warlock and Priest)

Yes, the warlock hero power is a big outlier and would be a big challenge for any new one to be made (Although if it was good enough it might end up working for demonlock. Obviously hand and Zoo can never use anything else). Other then that, yes a few archetypes like control warrior and oil rogue wouldn't work, but that's not really a big deal since I doubt the idea would be to keep the game the same.

Also rogue weapons were made pretty much with the opposite in mind, which is probably why no one runs them anymore >.>

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2015, 06:31:36 pm »

No one wants the shaman power. It can be cool, and even useful at times, but mostly it's just a mana dump. This is backed by the fact that not a single shaman card synergizes with it in a useful way (or not any better than with any other card). A 1 in 4 randomized power was poorly thought out.

Each individual totem is great. That they're totally unreliable isn't. Ok, you can cut the odds down a bit ("Well, I have a taunt and a heal, so it's a 50/50 on what I'll get next"), but that isn't reliable.

Strangely enough, if you could rely on it, it would probably be OP.

Would be an awesome weapon card. "When this weapon is in play, all totems are of "X" type."

Because shaman needs 4 more niche cards. That's how bad the hero power is.
It's a game. Have fun.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2015, 06:39:50 pm »

I think you're really not acknowledging how significant some hero powers are to the playstyle of most decks. The most mutable hero power by far is Mage's, followed by Shaman's. The power change based on hero power swaps are pretty variant depending on which power/hero combo, but you can make almost any class insane by giving them Warlock's power or trash by giving them Shaman's power. Pally's pushes hard for late game, and Hunter's for early game.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2015, 07:02:30 pm »

I think you're really not acknowledging how significant some hero powers are to the playstyle of most decks.

Um. Yeah. I'm not. Because it's not. Some decks are absolutely reliant on the hero power, but it's certainly not most. Not to mention that totally doesn't actually matter. Obviously I don't except that suddenly handlock will be using a new warlock power, and frankly if it did that would completely defeat the point of any expansion if it just made it so the old stuff stayed in and nothing new came. If new hero powers come they won't be there to prop up old decks (at least not old decks that are actually used), and I don't see what the point of saying that something could be op is. Obviously that's true. But presumably that's not what's happening? I'm just trying to say that new hero powers are A: Not that hard (except for warlock and maybe priest) and that B: A lot of classes and even decks are not reliant on their hero power, so it not like you NEED hero powers with super synergy.

Edit: And just to reiterate. None of that applies to warlock and sorta not to priest, since they actually are reliant, as a class, on their hero power.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #326 on: June 04, 2015, 02:44:11 am »

But they only have 9 deck slots for both basic and custom decks! How could they add another basic deck D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 04, 2015, 02:53:53 am »

I honestly thought one thing they would do is introduce alternate characters for each class... essentially giving them different hero powers.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 04, 2015, 04:46:40 am »

How is Mage's hero power mutable? It's two mana for one damage, with "single target, damage spell" style targeting.

How you use it (or not, depending on deck and targets) changes a lot. But mutable, it isn't. It's absolutely rock solid at what it does.

It just isn't very good (as a use of mana).
It's a game. Have fun.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2015, 07:29:52 am »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:20:47 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 109