Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153129 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #405 on: June 20, 2015, 03:04:56 am »

I suppose the main problem was that I was playing freeze mage.

No board presence, my own doomsayer got silenced, and I didn't draw another doomsayer fast enough to not die. I even sacrificed a loot hoarder and a Thalnos to desperately cycle for cards.

I'm considering swapping a loot hoarder for polymorph, seeing that this is the second time I've been owned by a divine spirit priest.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 20, 2015, 06:54:34 am »

You can also put in an owl.
Foe Reaper 4000 is a fun car, but it's glacially slow. If you want, toss it into a deck. I wouldn't dust it for Thalnos specifically though. Thalnos has the dubious honor of being the legendary with the single closest common proxy in Kobold Geomancer. Thalnos is massively better because it can also cycle in matchups where that's needed, but I wouldn't dust a card which you like for it.

Re: Sylvanas. Slyvanas and Tharissan serve massively different purposes. Sylvanas is the queen of incredibly awkward plays that swing the game wildly in your favor. Tharissan forces your opponent to have an answer, but if they have board control then they can usually kill it. That's entirely opposite what Sylvanas' purpose is.
I wouldn't put Geomancer in a deck.  Thalnos is probably replacable, but the cantrip is really essential to making him good.  You rarely want to spend a card on spell damage, so just put a good card in for him rather than a bad one that looks similar.

It doesn't really matter is they kill Thaurissan, you get his effect immediately.  Aylvanas is probably better in control, but you aren't gonna be playing that for a while anyway.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 22, 2015, 07:36:51 am »

The Angry Chicken Podcast #79, has a good section in the middle about how to build a deck from scratch. I found it useful and keep going back to it.

My first, and only, legendary is Nat Pagel.  A 2 mana 0-4, who has a 50% chance of drawing a card at the beginning of each turn.  I throw him into decks when I want to remind myself to play for fun.  He is pretty useless, but I am always surprised by what people will do to take him out.  Almost worth it just to throw people off...

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 22, 2015, 08:40:18 am »

He used to draw at the end of the turn, and he was auto include in every deck. He's still pretty respectable.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 22, 2015, 08:48:03 am »

It's funny how mediocre cards can be as long as they're cheap and draw you cards.

Novice Engineer was an auto-include when it was a 1/2. Now it's 1/1 and it's only played in decks that really need the draw.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 22, 2015, 09:07:35 am »

Nat Pagle is now pretty terrible - he has to survive for 2 turns just to let you draw one card on average, and that's basically never happening because he's a 0/4.  He's mostly just a bad Shieldbearer.

I am curious as to whether pre-nerf Novice Engineer or Nat Pagle would be played today, there are a lot more strong early plays you can make now.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 22, 2015, 11:20:18 am »

I'd take Pagle pre-nerf. Was nice and reliable when it was at the end of the same turn you cast him on, giving pretty good odds of replacing himself or better. Of course, this is in a tokeny shaman deck (or a heavy'ish amout of taunt enablers deck), where he's actually quite useful.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Thaurissan got the same nerf eventually (effect changed to the beginning of your turn, rather than the end), because he's too reliable currently and is almost an auto-include in many decks.
It's a game. Have fun.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 22, 2015, 11:24:47 am »

Yeah I guess pre-nerf Pagle might make sense in classes that have problems with card draw, like Shaman.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 22, 2015, 11:48:05 am »

I'd run the 1/2 engineers in place of the 2/4 4 cost card draw in Patron Warrior.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 22, 2015, 12:04:59 pm »

I probably wouldn't, partly due to mana curve reasons but also because 1/2s are basically entirely irrelevant at the moment.  I guess it could at least help you with Battle Rage and Frothing Berserker combos.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 22, 2015, 12:15:25 pm »

They only exist as draw fodder and whirlwind target fodder. The 1 damage and 2 health makes little to no difference IMO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 22, 2015, 12:23:33 pm »

Not really, I find Gnomish Engineer's body relevant in most aggro matchups, and I tend to play it out before I'm looking to combo off anyway.  It can eat almost all the creatures that stuff like aggro paladin, face hunter and zoo put out.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 22, 2015, 04:23:46 pm »

Novice Engineer was an auto-include when it was a 1/2. Now it's 1/1 and it's only played in decks that really need the draw.
Or, more specifically, decks that need the cheap draw but also benefit from having a small body on board over the lack of a body from spells like Arcane Intellect. I ran it for a while in Soul of the Forest Token Druid before Patron Warrior became a thing and destroyed all my wonderful trees ;-;
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:30 pm »

Not really, I find Gnomish Engineer's body relevant in most aggro matchups, and I tend to play it out before I'm looking to combo off anyway.  It can eat almost all the creatures that stuff like aggro paladin, face hunter and zoo put out.
I agree. Plus, there's already the Acolyte of Pain. A 1/2 wouldn't be half as efficient (knife juggler, dire wolf, etc).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 22, 2015, 08:27:48 pm »

Yeah the list I run is already super heavy on 1-power minions too (Acolyte, Unstable Ghoul, Armorsmith).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 109