Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153525 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #435 on: June 24, 2015, 07:43:43 pm »

Agree. I want to stop thinking and pay big OP cards, not build decks for a slightly different ladder.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #436 on: June 24, 2015, 09:50:19 pm »

I've only met tempo mages. Then again, I'm a tempo mage too :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #437 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:31 am »

I'm incredibly annoyed that facehunter and tempo mage are causing everyone to run Kezan Mystic. It's a mild inconvenience to the aforementioend two, but it basically cripples freeze mage if ice block gets stolen.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 28, 2015, 07:14:52 am »

I'm incredibly annoyed that facehunter and tempo mage are causing everyone to run Kezan Mystic. It's a mild inconvenience to the aforementioend two, but it basically cripples freeze mage if ice block gets stolen.
Heh, really ? I've rarely seen Kezan Mystic. In arena, they are everywhere, but in ladder, they're quite rare.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #439 on: June 28, 2015, 07:57:54 am »

Really? Isn't it the other way around? People rarely draft secrets in arena so they don't draft kezan either, while I just hit four kezans in a row in ladder >.>

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 28, 2015, 05:44:02 pm »

Kezan is a rare so it doesn't show up that much in Arena, but it's fairly popular because the top two arena classes (Mage and Paladin) both use secrets, and usually have 1-2 in their decks.  It's always a huge beating if it works (since it's an on-board 3-for-1), but freeze mage is certainly hit hardest.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:47:23 pm by Leafsnail »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 28, 2015, 06:18:32 pm »

Kezan is a rare so it doesn't show up that much in Arena, but it's fairly popular because the top two arena classes (Mage and Paladin) both use secrets, and usually have 1-2 in their decks.  It's always a huge beating if it works (since it's an on-board 3-for-1), but freeze mage is certainly hit hardest.
This. In my current arena, I had 2 Kezan offered to me (took only one), it seems to be fairly frequent (in both cases I had Kezan and MCT, and they're quite frequent in arena). And I used it already twice in 4 games (got a duplicate which duplicated my kezan :p). In fact, it can even be good as a backup in case the opponent plays a Kezan on your secret (admittedly I only did that once).
In ladder, there's pretty much only the freeze mage which would make a Kezan interesting.
Getting an explosive trap from a facehunter can be good, but the mystic itself will get wrecked by the facehunter early board. And it can activate haunted creepers or stuff like that. There's simply not enough people that play secrets in ladder to make it worthwhile imo, too much grim patrons, demo zoo or lock, mech mage, priest, etc.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:31:02 pm by PanH »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 28, 2015, 07:34:45 pm »

As I said, it's always incredibly brutal when it lands because for your opponent's one card they get to destroy your secret, play their own secret and put a creature on the board (in addition Explosive Trap kills off facehunter boards, while Freezing Trap counters Savannah Highmane effectively), putting them two cards up and ahead on board.  There are a fair number of hunters and tempo mages around, so it connects often enough that it's worth teching into decks that otherwise struggle against them.

In freeze mage you also die because they stole the ice block you needed to stay alive.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:36:55 pm by Leafsnail »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 28, 2015, 10:45:51 pm »

So what do you think the worst basic deck in the game is?

I honestly think it is Shaman just because it was a terrible dysfunctional deck that couldn't even do what it is made to do.

But I also havn't really played everyone yet... so... is there honestly one worse than that?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #444 on: June 28, 2015, 11:03:36 pm »

All of the basic decks aren't TOO bad...

I think Mage, Druid, and Warlock are the stronger ones, and Rogue, Warrior, Shaman the weaker ones.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2015, 11:06:07 pm »

Do you mean the default decks, or decks you can put together with basic cards?  Shaman has a lot of strong basic cards (Flametongue Totem, Fire Elemental, Rockbiter Weapon, Hex) but it's kindof a weak class in general due to the hero power and lack of either card draw or a good aggro plan.  I've only played a couple of default decks though (the rogue one is really funny - basically you control the board for the whole game then die because you've been hitting everything with your face and have no way to actually win).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #446 on: June 28, 2015, 11:22:04 pm »

I'm talking about the decks you can put together with the cards you get for leveling to 10.

In the post I wrote before deleting it to write the one above, I said that Rogue basic deck is basically you stall forever but have no win condition, haha.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 28, 2015, 11:28:10 pm »

There's basically no rogue deck right now that has a condition. Mill rogue's "win condition" is more of a "hope you draw coldlight oracle and your opponent has bad timing on their fatties" and Oil rogue's win condition is.... ???

Oil rogue is actually quite a weird deck. It's like grinder mage, except instead of using really good minions and a lot of AoE to stall out your opponent, it relies on using comical amounts of spells and then somehow doing enough damage to your opponent on accident that they die.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 28, 2015, 11:42:32 pm »

I think you've misunderstood how Oil Rogue works.  Effectively you have lethal damage in the deck*, and you have to deliver it to your opponent's face to win.  Sometimes that means one big burst with blade flurry and deckhand (AKA the fun method), sometimes that means making a big weapon and hitting them a couple of times, sometimes that means running out bits of your combo early to establish board control and getting some hits in with minions/create some 6/3s to apply pressure.  It's a pretty hard deck to play because it's often not obvious which of these things you're meant to be doing.

*2 oils: 18 damage
2 poisons: 8 damage
2 eviscerate: 8 damage
So that's 34 damage in spells, plus a few more from weapon attacks, flurries and whatever minion you're using to hit them.  Getting minion beats in takes some pressure off and may let you send this damage elsewhere.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #449 on: June 28, 2015, 11:46:27 pm »

I think that Oil Rogue and Freeze Mage have fairly similar objectives!

Freeze mage has:

* Ice lance x2, conditional 8 damage
* Frostbolt x2, 6 damage
* Fireball x2, 8 damage
* Archmage Antonidas, at least 6 damage
* Thalnos, usually +3 damage
* Alexstrasza, usually 15 damage but useless against tons of shields

28 more or less guaranteed damage from spells, plus maybe 10 extra from Antonidas and/or Thalnos, plus the 15 "damage" from alexstrasza.

And you try to take that damage from your deck and deliver it to face, with the pro that you can't stop it with taunts! The con being that you often die before you can deliver the damage :v

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 109