Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like more of or to see improved?

Combat.
- 2 (20%)
Roleplay.
- 2 (20%)
Details.
- 1 (10%)
Plot/Intrigue
- 4 (40%)
Other.
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 07, 2014, 10:09:51 pm

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71

Author Topic: "The Filth of Kalgena" OOC thread. The GM has his shit together. Somewhat.  (Read 52926 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: "The Filth of Kalgena" OOC thread.
« Reply #885 on: August 04, 2014, 07:21:26 pm »

Sorry for not posting, I'll do so this evening when I'm reunited with my computer. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 04, 2014, 07:22:45 pm »

I'm guessing they're like eighth level.
In which case we're fucked, in all honesty. Sure, five fairly optimized 4th level characters might be able to handle a CR 10 encounter, but our enemies are also optimized, from what I can tell, which effectively boosts the CR, we don't even really know what they're doing/getting their powers from(THE MAJORITY OF US, THAT IS), me and my dogs are the only ones who really have the capacity for effective teamwork and communication since our characters haven't been working together long enough, and we didn't get any opportunity to prepare and fight on our terms; we've been reacting, instead of acting.

I wouldn't say it's unlikely they're more like fifth or sixth level. Maybe seventh.

It's entirely possible Immaterial plans for us to get our asses kicked, but I certainly don't plan on letting him. Mace guy doesn't have a shield, as far as I'm aware, but you should have an easier time getting into Grapple with him than the Rapier guy, if you can do touch attacks; I have doubts as to whether it's a good idea, though. I'm hoping the Rapier dude has lower raw AC than the Mace guy, since that's what I need to get to be effective. Until then, though, we can keep him contained, with Combat Reflexes, high AC(effective AC of 29 for the dogs, right now, and 26 for me, +4 for the dogs if I get Shield Counter next turn, and I have my Furious Counterstrike and Steely Resolve to help me keep going, in addition to Stone Power), and a high potential for tearing him apart given the slightest chance.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 04, 2014, 07:25:26 pm »

Yeah, this may be difficult, and I suspect from the evil laughing that's the intention. As far as teamwork goes, though, if one of you would like I can set you up for a coup de grace on the mace guy. I believe pinned grapplers count as helpless defenders to those outside the grapple.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 05, 2014, 01:31:16 am »

A Few notes and musings on my DMing style:
I'm not very good. I think I'm good at crafting stories and keeping people interested, but I know that I'm terrible at building combat. It's either too difficult, and then I tweak it down mid-fight, or too easy, and you guys stomp them.
In this campaign, it's easier to do a single combat per day, which makes combat easier overall.
I think the only two combats that were unavoidable were the ambushes, bandit and puppeteer. The others could have been avoided through RP. Oh, and the Puppeteer battle with Guy and Valentis was a mess I forced on you guys.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 05, 2014, 10:57:25 pm »

I'd suggest going for perhaps a Haspen-esque style, and trying to tailor it to the party(which, granted, has been difficult with how we've been separate). Maybe they get a Half-Dragon Troll and set it loose on Guy. Maybe there's an enchanter that forces Alaris to decide between Countersonging and Inspiring. Maybe Celles has to contend with someone who can make touch attacks and force Save or Sucks.

Force us to fight smart, so we can't go in swords blazing, basically. :P Have to think, prepare when we can, work when we're caught off guard. Harder fights are better than easier fights.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 05, 2014, 11:42:14 pm »

Indeed, the party can always run.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 08, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »

You can indeed sneak attack a grappler. They also take a -4 to their AC.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #892 on: August 10, 2014, 09:43:37 pm »

Sorry for not posting much lately, I'm just not quite sure what to do with myself.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 10, 2014, 11:33:39 pm »

It's okay. Honestly, I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with you.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #894 on: August 10, 2014, 11:37:09 pm »

Set up Contrived Coincidences to introduce me to that fight?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 10, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »

That fight is happening in the middle of the day.
However... I have an idea. Check the turn when it's up.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 11, 2014, 02:26:39 am »

You can indeed sneak attack a grappler. They also take a -4 to their AC.

Well in that case if it is possible, Edgrick will delay his turn until he can twin weapon sneak attack Remuthra's grappled opponent, assuming he grapples him successfully. If he doesn't, then Edgrick will move to flank Remuthra's opponent and will one weapon SA if possible.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 12, 2014, 12:36:49 am »

My. That was a busy turn.
ZAKO, I've introduced you into the game, FYI.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 12, 2014, 02:39:06 pm »

Immaterial, as a note, since Kemik was in Punishing Stance, all of his attacks deal an additional 1d6 points of damage. I don't know if you has already included this, but as it wasn't a separate bonus, and it's not too hard to forget about by accident, I get the impression you didn't.

Also, their trip attempts don't provoke AoOs, as far as I'm aware. It's the same type of things wolves have, and whatnot.

Also, Bardic Music doesn't get interrupted by taking damage, as far as I'm aware. It doesn't provoke AoOs to sing, after all, so I wouldn't think Concentration would apply. If you're houseruling it, though, that's fine.

And, uh, how come he didn't get hit by Celles rolling a 22 but did get hit by Kemik rolling a 22? Unless...dodge, of course. Well, now we know what his AC is.

As a third 'Also', Greghir's bite still does damage, it just also allows a free trip attempt. :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:46:22 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 12, 2014, 04:10:40 pm »

Immaterial, as a note, since Kemik was in Punishing Stance, all of his attacks deal an additional 1d6 points of damage. I don't know if you has already included this, but as it wasn't a separate bonus, and it's not too hard to forget about by accident, I get the impression you didn't.
As a third 'Also', Greghir's bite still does damage, it just also allows a free trip attempt. :P
Ah, sorry. I'll fix those things for you.
Also, their trip attempts don't provoke AoOs, as far as I'm aware. It's the same type of things wolves have, and whatnot.
We talked about Improved Trip when the game was getting started, and I said no, but now I'm saying bonus feat, because, otherwise, I wont remember.
Also, Bardic Music doesn't get interrupted by taking damage, as far as I'm aware. It doesn't provoke AoOs to sing, after all, so I wouldn't think Concentration would apply. If you're houseruling it, though, that's fine.
I'm saying that since it requires concentration, you can get distracted by damage. Otherwise, that doesn't make much sense, in my opinion.
And, uh, how come he didn't get hit by Celles rolling a 22 but did get hit by Kemik rolling a 22? Unless...dodge, of course. Well, now we know what his AC is.
The reason that happened was because Greghir tripped him first, lowing his AC by 4. Being prone gives a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71