Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 51320 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2014, 09:44:24 am »

Okay, I just got my hands on an amulet of recall, which sounds like it will be very useful indeed. It takes forever running around from place to place wearing all this heavy armor. Next time around I'll definitely use light armor. Maybe I'll even start investing in light armor skill now... If I get that leveled high enough, is it feasible to be a melee fighting character and not get killed all the time?

Bigger question is how to use the amulet of recall. I haven't used it yet - I'm assuming I can set the recall destination? How do I do that?

I played for a little while earlier, but then my computer started overheating. I couldn't figure out why it was working so hard until I closed the program and realized McAfee was doing one of its lovely scheduled full PC scans. No matter how many times I try to turn that stuff off, it just won't stop. As soon as the free subscription that came with my computer expires (about a month longer, I think), I'm getting rid of that crap and getting something more reasonable to protect my computer.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2014, 09:46:54 am »

Okay, I just got my hands on an amulet of recall, which sounds like it will be very useful indeed. It takes forever running around from place to place wearing all this heavy armor. Next time around I'll definitely use light armor. Maybe I'll even start investing in light armor skill now... If I get that leveled high enough, is it feasible to be a melee fighting character and not get killed all the time?

Bigger question is how to use the amulet of recall. I haven't used it yet - I'm assuming I can set the recall destination? How do I do that?

I played for a little while earlier, but then my computer started overheating. I couldn't figure out why it was working so hard until I closed the program and realized McAfee was doing one of its lovely scheduled full PC scans. No matter how many times I try to turn that stuff off, it just won't stop. As soon as the free subscription that came with my computer expires (about a month longer, I think), I'm getting rid of that crap and getting something more reasonable to protect my computer.

You'll need the spell "Mark" to go along with "Recall". Cast "Mark" where you wish to teleport, then you use "Recall" to teleport to that spot.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2014, 10:27:27 am »

Aha, so I need to find something that will cast Mark before I can use this amulet. I'm not using magic at all, other than the occasional item, so I'll just have to look for such an item, I guess. There must be scrolls or something right?

Actually, I have another amulet that casts Open, and I just tried to use it for the first time... And realized I have no idea how to use it. I tried clicking it and clicking my character, but I only equipped it. Is there a button for using an equipped amulet that I'm not aware of? I didn't see anything in the manual...

Thanks guys!

I just took care of a bounty in Balmora. The target was living in a really nice house - looks like I got a new house!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2014, 10:32:12 am »

Using an amulet is treated as using a spell. "Draw" your spellcasting hands and use the item from the spell list.

Did Morrowind have skill requirements for spellcasting? Otherwise, you can just buy the Mark spell, since you're not using the mana, you're not going to need to cast it in a situation where time is of the essence, and it doesn't matter therefore if you fail several times. You could even take off your armor before casting it, if you really wanted to.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2014, 10:35:24 am »

Aha, so I need to find something that will cast Mark before I can use this amulet. I'm not using magic at all, other than the occasional item, so I'll just have to look for such an item, I guess. There must be scrolls or something right?

Actually, I have another amulet that casts Open, and I just tried to use it for the first time... And realized I have no idea how to use it. I tried clicking it and clicking my character, but I only equipped it. Is there a button for using an equipped amulet that I'm not aware of? I didn't see anything in the manual...

Thanks guys!
You need to put it in your spell slot (just like a regular spell). And yes, there's scrolls for pretty much everything, which is nice, since you can get some tp, lockpicking, etc, even if you don't use magic (I'd recommend always carrying a some scrolls with you, even if you're more the magic-type).

Did Morrowind have skill requirements for spellcasting? Otherwise, you can just buy the Mark spell, since you're not using the mana, you're not going to need to cast it in a situation where time is of the essence, and it doesn't matter therefore if you fail several times. You could even take off your armor before casting it, if you really wanted to.
No skill requirement but failure and mana cost (can be easily bigger than the standard pool).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2014, 10:36:11 am »

Unless I'm seriously forgetting things, Morrowind doesn't care what sort of armor you're wearing in regards to casting. S'strictly a skill test, and insofar as I remember you can learn any spell at any time, s'just if you don't have the skill to cast it you'll fail and waste the magika.

One of my fairly normal builds was a ranged focused (bow+magic) heavy armor user, iirc. Probably with some stealth, too, because to hell with the sneaking malus, full plate bruiser tip-toeing past your guards~
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:38:34 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2014, 10:37:53 am »

Well, if I remember, spellcasting is based on fatigue, and I thought it was indirectly affected by your armor.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2014, 10:41:00 am »

Okay, I know I could probably find this out by reading the manual, but since you guys are so quick and so knowledgeable... How do I use the spellcasting slot? What key is it? And how do I add the amulet to it?

Right now I've actually got one of my racial abilities in the spellcasting slot, I think (that's the one next to the weapon slot, right?), but I haven't used it yet and I don't remember what key it is. I actually tried to put the amulet there earlier, but it just opened the spellcasting screen. I guess I need to familiarize myself with magic to make this work...

Oh, and how do I learn spells? It couldn't hurt to know one or two, even if I don't have the skill to succeed in them - like Remuthra said, even if I fail at casting Mark, I don't need the magicka for anything else.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:00 am »

Well, if I remember, spellcasting is based on fatigue, and I thought it was indirectly affected by your armor.

The item appears in your spell list in your inventory screen (The bottom right window I believe). Select it there (Amulet of Open), close your inventory then bring up your casting hands with R. You'll need to stand right next to the item you want to unlock and point the targeting reticule at it. Your amulet of open will unlock objects up to lock strength 20.
Using magic items like this trains your enchant ability.

Spellcasting may be effected by fatigue in its failure chance, like how low fatigue increases your chance to miss.

Edit: Learn spells by going to one of the mages guilds and talking to the members there, they should have a "Spell" topic or similar underneath "Barter".

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:50:33 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:42 am »

Eh, don't remember that much. Spell failure is related to fatigue, but you have to actively go out of your way to drain fatigue (running, melee attacks, etc.) so it's not really an issue. Plus you eventually can make good, long lasting, fatigue regen spells and basically make it a moot point.* Or enchant some fatigue regen items... pretty sure you could do that in morrowind, anyway...

*Particularly if you're running a magicka regen mod. Which I'd suggest. It really makes the whole casting experience less painful. It's not that it makes it any easier, per se -- alchemy can break resource issues with little trouble in either system -- it's just that it removes a layer of inventory fiddling and makes the whole experience much more fluid.

Okay, I know I could probably find this out by reading the manual, but since you guys are so quick and so knowledgeable... How do I use the spellcasting slot? What key is it? And how do I add the amulet to it?
There's... a key to press! I've forgotten which. I usually rebound it to... something. Vaguely remember pressing r or f a lot, though there's some bleed through with oblivion (or nehrim, anyway) going on with that. There should be a key config option thing in the options, I think. Think you can also add them to a hotkey list of some sort? 1-X, where X is a number I've forgotten.

Oh, and how do I learn spells? It couldn't hurt to know one or two, even if I don't have the skill to succeed in them - like Remuthra said, even if I fail at casting Mark, I don't need the magicka for anything else.
You buy 'em. Mage guilds are the likeliest place to find folks that'll sell 'em (and most (all?) of them also have someone that can make custom spells for you**), but you can find 'em in other places too. The shop-dude in the first town you run into has a few. Just look for "spells" in the interaction menu-whatsit.

**Though you have to know individual spell effects before you can use them in a custom spell. No making fireballs with customized parameters (in regards to damage, aoe, etc.) if you don't know the fire effect, no tailored healing spells if you don't know a restore health spell, etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:51:01 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2014, 11:08:03 am »

Afaik, fatigue affects the chance of success of pretty much anything, but not by that much, so I never bothered with it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2014, 11:14:42 am »

Nooo, the chance of success difference between no and full fatigue is pretty huge, from what I recall, especially with spellcasting. Very noticeable effect. Keeping your fatigue topped off makes a lot of things a lot easier compared to, well. Not keeping your fatigue topped off.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:00 am »

Not much? Trying to cast spells with low fatigue will make you fail spells you'd normally cast with  high success rate.
It's also why enchantments (combined with stealing ridiculously expensive stuff) is so ridiculously OP: It's not affected by fatigue or low skills levels.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2014, 11:26:27 am »

It may not seem like much because whenever I play Morrowind I always have next to no fatigue, due to me jumping everywhere. :P

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2014, 11:34:01 am »

It may not seem like much because whenever I play Morrowind I always have next to no fatigue, due to me jumping everywhere. :P
Restore Fatigue potions!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25