Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How long would YOU survive in Adventure Mode?  (Read 9451 times)

Patacrepe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long would YOU survive in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 12:26:45 pm »

I think I could survive in the DF world. IRL, I'm really agile and I have a good endurance, and reflexes. So, I think that I would begin by reach a hamlet, or a town, and during many years, I would train to the sword, or an other weapon, until have a sufficient level, and then, I could go to adventure (with many warriors, in a team, of course)  8)

No, seriously, in such a medieval world, like DF, there is no entertainments (movie, video game...) so the sport and the combat training would be the only amusing activities, outside of the work to fields. And there is many fighters (crossbowman, pikeman, etc...) in town for train me.

But, do I have the courage to go to savages lands, after that ? Risk my life every day ? Fight with dragons, gobelins, or bogeymen ?

I could do that one year or two, and then, with the reputation that I would gain during my career, and my fortune, I would marry with a lady and I would stop in a village for the rest of my life (start a family, and other boring things)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 04:04:33 pm »

I'd become one of the guards in those castles, so I'd live until I die of old age.
I'd also avoid any and all adventurers by sneaking, to avoid unwanted death.
All in all, standing around in a courtyard with a bunch of soldiers while being a soldier yourself in a low-violence area is a perfect job. Plus, I don't really have to know how to weapon, since nothing really invades the castles.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 05:46:06 pm »

All in all, standing around in a courtyard with a bunch of soldiers while being a soldier yourself in a low-violence area is a perfect job. Plus, I don't really have to know how to weapon, since nothing really invades the castles.
In my experience, that's not true: many a town I have visited has been later wiped out by the vast hordes of bandits, kobolds, beastmen, and vampires that live in the easily-accessible catacombs directly beneath the castle.
And you can't kill them, either, not for long. The moment you go to sleep, they respawn. They have the same names, they have the same bodies, they have the same equipment. Take their weapons, break their limbs, kill them with a cave-in, lop off their heads - it doesn't matter, they'll be ready for combat as soon as you go to sleep. The only way to keep them dead is not to sleep. Ever.

So if you end up guarding a castle, you'd better keep one eye open at night. In Dwarf Fortress, the monster under your bed is real - and he's not alone.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:48:02 pm by HmH »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »

Strangely, I've never seen such things, even if I return to a town after a long time of stabbing evil miles away. It helps I sometimes go into their keeps and dungeons and stab stuff, but I don't go very deep.
Plus, those guys in the towers on the outside walls? How many things do you know that will climb up the tower just to stab a bowman? Only my more murderous adventurers.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 06:04:14 pm »

Strangely, I've never seen such things, even if I return to a town after a long time of stabbing evil miles away. It helps I sometimes go into their keeps and dungeons and stab stuff, but I don't go very deep.
Plus, those guys in the towers on the outside walls? How many things do you know that will climb up the tower just to stab a bowman? Only my more murderous adventurers.
It usually takes an extended detour in one of the horizontal directions, which should apparently be far enough to leave the keep's boundaries, and then a few cycles of killing things and sleeping to respawn them. If you're lucky, you'll start getting logs of bandits fighting merchants or what-have-you. By the time you've returned to the surface(or retired to a life of peasantry and then came back on the surface), there's a good chance you'll find only corpses(or no one at all) inside the keep.
And no, it doesn't require you to raise any undead of your own, which are known to wander off and kill people on the surface while you're asleep.

Granted, it's pretty difficult to meet those criteria even if you're a seasoned adventurer, but I'd rather not let facts get in the way of nightmare fuel.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »

I usually die before going too far into a keep (unless I'm playing one of my modded races), but I would assume archers would be in the best condition in case of escapees.

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 12:29:58 am »

Granzteel, male human

Notable Stats:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then skills:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In an adventurer mode I'd be basically a stalking shooter, or if not, I should make sure there are at least 2 companions to keep monsters distracted. And I would have to fight my nature to stand in awe if I see a bronze colossus, or else something terrible is going to happen.

Anyone interested in letting a Stalking Crossbowman into his team please let me know. need the gold coins to renovate my hovel  :P :P :P

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 10:48:48 am »

Although I'm not a strong muscle-bound guy, I'm really light and maneuverable. It helps that my weight is 116 lbs. I'd probably have a few daggers, and stay in a town until my sneaking is GrandMaster. I'd get a bunch of guys to come with me, because I am a people person. I'd train myself in light armor and dodging, and I'd probably hang around a fort, laughing and eating and having a good old time with other adventurers. Until I get bored and decide to go on an adventure, but in my excitement, I'd forget where I wanted to go. Maybe my friends would know?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Patacrepe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 10:57:33 am »

I think that it would be safer to learn to shoot with bow, and dodge the opponent's assaults, for survive in DF world. Join a team of warrior and officer like an archer, keep distance during the battles, and share the booty at the end... That would be a pleasant life. If you don't hesitate to betray your comrades and flee, when the combat escalate, like a coward (but a living coward) of course.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 11:43:50 am »

share the booty at the end...

This made me laugh.
Regards,
Dampe

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 11:46:57 am »

share the booty at the end...

This made me laugh.

I now cannot unsee the humour in this context

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2014, 08:59:22 am »

I think I would rather stay in my village than live as an adventurer.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2014, 05:57:35 pm »

If this world is not modded, I do not exist, for my name (unfortunately) translates to Forest Rider in Sindarin.

If this world is modded, lessee here...

-Low Strength
-Below Average Agility
-Below Average Toughness
-Below Average Endurance
-Average Recuperation
-Average Disease Resistance
-Below Average Focus
-Below Average Willpower
-Average everything else

~Dabbling/Novice in most weapon skills
~Adequate/Competent Swordsman (I LIKE SWORDS)
-Novice/Dabbling Swimmer
-Novice/Average, perhaps, Observer
-Novice/Adequate Armor/Shield/Dodge
-Novice Throw
-Novice Misc. Object
-Professional Reader or something
______________ _______________
                        V
[All of the above]+Adventure Mode = Death
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2014, 11:55:40 pm »

Let's see, I'd probably either live a few boring decades, or till the sun goes out. If you can become a Necromancer's apprentice, eventually learning the secrets of life and death, I'd do that. If not, perhaps the mundane life of a small town blacksmith might be fun. I would surrender immediately to anyone who comes to the village with an army, and make myself useful to them. Cowardice is the best trait for survival in insane worlds.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2014, 04:45:14 am »

I'd probably do okay if I was careful, since I have excellent spatial and kinesthetic senses and a lot of practice throwing things at other things. I'm not too far below average in any of my physical attributes either, and I'm probably good enough with a bow to qualify as Adequate. If Intuition was useful for anything other than spotting ambushes, I'd do even better. And I probably have enough theory of every weapon to use them without stabbing myself, so maybe a high Dabbling in all of those?

Of course, I'd be burned by my Social Awareness being Below Average (Up from Low!), I have no idea what my Willpower is like, and I doubt my Toughness is very good at all.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4