Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 499811 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Ninja Plots
« Reply #1695 on: July 06, 2014, 07:25:24 pm »

The stronger you are, the bigger the gun you can hold, because you can stand the recoil.

But that means that two different people would do different damage while using the same gun because they have different strength scores. Which would be rather silly.

I would think guns would make more sense to work on Dex or even mind if you want to be unique. Or have something like ER's different gun stats.

A. It's skill and resistance now, not dex and mind anymore.
B. ER's different gun stats? How does ER do things? I was thinking about just giving guns a set damage stat and leaving it at that.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: July 06, 2014, 07:27:54 pm »

A. those stat names sound dumb and I still get the point across

B. It has separate stats for the different types of weapons. Conventional, unconventional, and then amps use EXO.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: July 06, 2014, 07:29:04 pm »

So... More of a skill based system then?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: July 06, 2014, 07:30:34 pm »

It definitely makes more sense than basing it on strength. And a bit more than basing it on Dex.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:41 pm »

The stronger you are, the bigger the gun you can hold, because you can stand the recoil.

But that means that two different people would do different damage while using the same gun because they have different strength scores. Which would be rather silly.
No. The one with higher strength can use a bigger gun than the other guy, of higher caliber, in order to do more damage.

Or, just base it on magic for magical guns(like Kaotaro's)/lasers.

EDIT: Also, Mind was a dumber name than Resistance.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: July 06, 2014, 07:33:35 pm »

Why? It was a measure of mental capacity and magical resistance. That's not very stupid.

And this conversation is very stupid all around.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 06, 2014, 07:35:26 pm »

No. The one with higher strength can use a bigger gun than the other guy, of higher caliber, in order to do more damage.

Or, just base it on magic for magical guns(like Kaotaro's)/lasers.

I'm talking about physical, non-magical guns. Because with the current system, which makes weapons give flat damage bonuses, if you gave someone weaker your gun then they'd be doing last damage. Despite being the exact same gun that you used before.

And this conversation is very stupid all around.

Why? I'm just asking for clarification on how guns work for my new character.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 06, 2014, 07:36:42 pm »

It shouldn't need to happen. Why are guns not based on someone's ability to pick and shoot weakpoints and instead based on strength besides the fact the GM is a dumb.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:29 pm »

Because everyone seems to either use melee weapons or magic so it never came up? Which is why I'm asking for clarification about a thing we haven't talked about yet?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 06, 2014, 07:39:34 pm »

Actually Kyle uses almost exclusively guns.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 06, 2014, 07:39:51 pm »

Mental capacity should not be a stat, because it has 0 effect on combat.

Resistance is both more accurate as a reflection of what it does, and less confusing for purposes of talking about it.

USEC: I've said that the solution is to make it so they just can't use that gun. Guns deal flat damage, and require a set Strength score to use equal to their flat damage, but they also have a bonus based on the quality of their manufacture.

Kj, stop being an ass and insulting the GM. Why the hell would my ability to hurt you with a Colt Revolver be affected by my dexterity? I could hit where I was aiming, but that's it's own thing, it's not part of damage. If I shoot you in the hand, or in the chest, the chest will do more damage, but neither of those is affected by dexterity other than whether I can hit my target; and the chest is easier, so it still makes no sense.

Also, humans don't really have 'weak-points' once you get to ballistic weaponry. Anywhere you hit will be pretty badly fucked.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 06, 2014, 07:42:30 pm »

I disagree. Most people who pick up a gun and fire aren't very good at aiming and even an expert can miss no matter how strong they are. And mental capacity is used for making things which is a big part of at least two characters.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 06, 2014, 07:44:26 pm »

USEC: I've said that the solution is to make it so they just can't use that gun. Guns deal flat damage, and require a set Strength score to use equal to their flat damage, but they also have a bonus based on the quality of their manufacture.

Ah, thank you. That point makes a lot of sense but it was poorly worded and I didn't understand it until now. Of course, as GM, it's mostly up to Smurf how guns work, but for now I'll go with that.

I disagree. Most people who pick up a gun and fire aren't very good at aiming and even an expert can miss no matter how strong they are.

Which is why we have the Skill stat for accuracy. Which is completely separate from dealing damage. Being strong enough to wield a gun doesn't mean that you'll automatically hit them. You still have to go through the relevant rolls.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 06, 2014, 07:45:57 pm »

It's still silly for guns to have a strength requirement while melee weapons don't.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 06, 2014, 07:49:43 pm »

I was planning on making a character based on TF2's Soldier, but I can see how that would play out.

Guys, no insulting anyone at all.

There are plenty of ways we could handle guns. My favourite is to give them a set 'damage' to be rolled, but also a strength and skill requirement to use them. However, the flat strength roll is a lot easier to use, and that way we don't have to go around upgrading weapons every time we level up, and we can also avoid giving melee weapons a set 'damage' too.

Also, successful combat already requires a high skill roll and a high strength roll to do damage, so the required skill to use a gun point is moot.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 685