Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 499835 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Ninja Plots
« Reply #1710 on: July 06, 2014, 07:52:30 pm »

Effectively use a gun.

And if you make a character based on the soldier I'll be forced to make a character based on TF2 as well.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 06, 2014, 07:53:03 pm »

There are plenty of ways we could handle guns. My favourite is to give them a set 'damage' to be rolled, but also a strength and skill requirement to use them. However, the flat strength roll is a lot easier to use, and that way we don't have to go around upgrading weapons every time we level up, and we can also avoid giving melee weapons a set 'damage' too.

So if I wanted to give my character a pistol to defend themselves, what should I put down as its stats?

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:12 pm »

A pistol weighs just under one and a half kilograms, so I'll make the strength check 2. Skill... I'd say about... 8? Skill will have to be a pretty dicey thing. Damage would be rolled on a d9, because the calibre equalling damage makes sense in my head.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 06, 2014, 08:03:28 pm »

Damage should be more I think. Partly because d9 is kinda pitiful, and partly because calibre is only weakly correlated to destructive force. Calibre doesn't refer to how long the cartridge is, how much gunpowder is packed into it, and what kind of bullet is used. And I'm sure that I left out a lot of factors too.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 06, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »

It is a pretty low-level weapon, and a 9mm pistol isn't all that deadly. Bigger weapons do more damage, obviously, and the system is pretty flexible, but you get the general idea. Kinda like the straight strength roll, it's a lot easier to do.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 06, 2014, 08:12:49 pm »

Caliber and muzzle velocity, as well as distance to target, all determine the actual 'stopping power' of the gun in question.

A .50 caliber revolver will probably do more damage to unarmored targets at point blank range than a single shot from an assault rifle. However, an assault rifle will do more damage to armored targets, at any sort of distance, and can fire multiple times.

Also, it's a matter of being able to use the gun in an effective manner without breaking your wrist. All weapons should have some sort of strength requirement, possibly with secondary requirements, to use effectively; you can still pick up Mabarius if you're only Strength 6 and not Spensir...it doesn't mean you'll be able to actually wield a seven-foot long sword effectively in combat, even if it's magical artifact sword(in fact you would probably be worse since it doesn't want you wielding it).

Also, 9mm is close to .50 caliber(~13mm) under your system, which is weird, but also a .50 caliber machine gun is way more powerful than a .50(~13mm) caliber Magnum.

And since caliber means exponentially more mass the larger it is(as it is the expansion of a sphere, in addition to rifle rounds being longer compared to their caliber than pistol rounds), just a straight caliber->damage conversion is pretty weird. A 20mm heavy machine gun/autocannon should rip people to shreds, not deal d20 damage.

Plus, that means a 120mm tank round does, what, d120 damage? The fuck?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:16:26 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 06, 2014, 08:17:23 pm »

I iz gun nerd, sorta.

Comes from loving sci fi. And also this post, research for which taught me so very much.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:26 pm »

This is one of the reasons why I'm sticking to the strength roll, purely because the complexity there would be assigning a value is overwhelming :P

I'd introduce the new system, or an alternative if enough people wanted it, though.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:52:35 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 06, 2014, 08:53:34 pm »

I have done the thing.

Does Robert look okay Smurf? Does he have a chance with Lizzie, Nomad? Please be yes to both.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 06, 2014, 08:55:17 pm »

I think I'm going to have Aya permanently possess someone on the team and see if something like Stockholm syndrome happens.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 06, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »

Another non-magical guy in a game supposedly about magical girls  :P

But yeah, he looks fine.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 06, 2014, 09:00:03 pm »

You know, what would actually be unique all things considered?

A proper magic girl. It would be great if she was Kyle's apprentice because spoilers for after the Antarctica thing happen because then there would be interesting character development.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 06, 2014, 09:01:40 pm »

Yep.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 06, 2014, 09:02:25 pm »

Another non-magical guy in a game supposedly about magical girls  :P

But yeah, he looks fine.

There's a reason for that it's so that he can get with Lizzie stuff which is related to my abandoned plots. Which I should probably tell you sometime because it's apparently lore now and affects several characters.

A proper magic girl.

Eh, it's been done to death a million times before. Better to go with something more creative I think. :P

Yep.

Aw yes. Now Lizzie just has to go outside so that he can actually talk with her or something.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 06, 2014, 09:06:54 pm »

Kyle will turn the castle into a school for magic people. And everyone can be teachers.

Hey, it worked for Charles.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 685