Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 499772 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: More characters for the character throne!
« Reply #6465 on: October 03, 2014, 05:38:44 am »

that would mean there is a hard-cap on defences though. If you have a Def of 50, you will no longer take any damage
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: October 03, 2014, 05:51:05 am »

that would mean there is a hard-cap on defences though. If you have a Def of 50, you will no longer take any damage
Hmmm... not sure how to fix that. Make the bonus worse as you have more defense?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: October 03, 2014, 05:57:21 am »

if we fit that into some sort of curve, the effort becomes ridiculously huge.

we *could* do it on percentages, if we still roll on the stat, so even someone with 50 defence would still be able to roll low. As a whole, doing so would speed up combat by a lot, as most people tend to give their bosses huge stats to make them trump over the previous bosses, resulting in many, many turns off "hit but did no damage". However while it downscales bosses defensively, it also downscales the players defencively - as they now barely block anything and have to eat way more damage than previously, increasing the death rate, and further making speed the much superior stat, further unbalancing things

edit: alternatively, have some dota

but I am totaly not calculating that shit, turns would take ages
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:59:57 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: October 03, 2014, 07:36:09 am »

Just my opinion, but I think DEF and RED should give a percent defense instead of a set number. This way enemies won't tank every bit of damage that is thrown at them.
For example, let's say each point gave you 2 point of percentage. Say you have 20 defense.
In the current system, an attack that 78 damage to you normally would only do 47 damage.
In the proposed system, it would do 62 damage rounded up.

Comments, ideas, revisions?

Nope. It would be way too effective on the higher end of the DPS scale. Don't mix percentages and damage, no good can come of it. Ever.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: October 03, 2014, 03:50:40 pm »

What about physical attacks at really close range having a bonus to hit?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: October 03, 2014, 04:03:00 pm »

I dont think that needs fixing

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: October 03, 2014, 04:14:17 pm »

How come? Even with the crit system, physical attacks are still pretty weak. And being able to miss real easy makes it worse when your target is right in front of you.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: October 03, 2014, 08:08:16 pm »

How come? Even with the crit system, physical attacks are still pretty weak. And being able to miss real easy makes it worse when your target is right in front of you.

It turns it into a bashing contest, and two swordsmen right in front of each other don't necessarily have an easy time hitting each other...

Just make strength stat add to health stat. Simple enough.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: October 03, 2014, 08:10:06 pm »

I... What? How would making physical attackers tankier make them more deadly? Or did I miss something...

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: October 03, 2014, 08:11:04 pm »

It gives Phys attackers more health, at the cost of less damage.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: October 03, 2014, 08:13:36 pm »

Well, unless we wanted to make Physical attacks nearly identical to magical attacks, which we're halfway towards anyway, with the changes to how magic works making it flat-out better than physical attacks, the best way to balance them in general, since we're already seeing a physical tank/squishy mage mechanic going on, is to go with the (rather sensible) idea of letting Strength give like a point or half a point of HP each.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: October 03, 2014, 08:17:04 pm »

oh boy I just stomped an entire pub with meepo
MID OR FEED BOYS

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: October 03, 2014, 08:22:53 pm »

oh boy I just stomped an entire pub with meepo
MID OR FEED BOYS

As far as I can tell, Mid or Feed is basically people just being assholes.

You're not an asshole, though, right Nomad?

Right?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: October 03, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »

Oh. I see. That... would make sense I guess? I'd go with a point of HP per Strength though, because otherwise I'm sure that someone is going to dump everything into Strength anyways. Like Neferis... We could also add in a... called shot mechanic? Basically, give the enemy a flat bonus to dodge in return for a bunch of different debuffs/effects if you hit. Alternatively: Physical characters get a limited set of special moves they get based on skill/strength/level/something. Basically the special moves would be like low-level spells. They don't do much, but can be spammed indefinitely and give physical characters some flavour beyond ''hit enemy really hard'. Or or physical characters get more perks to make them jack of all trades. Or something else. Which would probably be completely different from what I outlined above.

Also, still waiting for Kaiser's reply, Smurf. It's not like I've waiting for it all day or something.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: October 03, 2014, 08:31:42 pm »

Oh. I see. That... would make sense I guess? I'd go with a point of HP per Strength though, because otherwise I'm sure that someone is going to dump everything into Strength anyways. Like Neferis... We could also add in a... called shot mechanic? Basically, give the enemy a flat bonus to dodge in return for a bunch of different debuffs/effects if you hit. Alternatively: Physical characters get a limited set of special moves they get based on skill/strength/level/something. Basically the special moves would be like low-level spells. They don't do much, but can be spammed indefinitely and give physical characters some flavour beyond ''hit enemy really hard'. Or or physical characters get more perks to make them jack of all trades. Or something else. Which would probably be completely different from what I outlined above.

Also, still waiting for Kaiser's reply, Smurf. It's not like I've waiting for it all day or something.

People already shot down called shots.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 685