Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 80614 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2014, 04:00:00 pm »

Just do a precision attack (p in the extended combat menu opened by c) when an enemy would be outside range, no matter what you have equiped or whatsoever. Not quite necessary, but here's a save with a warrior wielding just a shield as a weapon with an enemy in the screen but not so close that it could be attacked without one of them moving first:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn6g7m2dhtjl4sx/Joan.sav?dl=0
Fixed.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2014, 04:08:56 pm »

Edit:
And on another misc bug report:
Using the "knowledge (magic)" to identify items in the library don't seem to actually take any time. Here's a save in a good position to test it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwu8vqhm6vigm41/Wuyondra%20%282%29.sav?dl=0
When you do this, it says "an hour passes" and the time is added to the turn count.  Can you provide a way of verifying that this does not actually happen?  Note in this case, after researching 8-9 times, you should hit the allowed awake time.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2014, 05:24:50 pm »

Edit2: And on yet another red square bug report with a save:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/loydq9mom4nvpl8/Wuyondra%20%283%29.sav?dl=0
Trying to attack the priest just south of my character gives the red square and crashes the game.
Fixed.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »

Edit:
And on another misc bug report:
Using the "knowledge (magic)" to identify items in the library don't seem to actually take any time. Here's a save in a good position to test it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwu8vqhm6vigm41/Wuyondra%20%282%29.sav?dl=0
When you do this, it says "an hour passes" and the time is added to the turn count.  Can you provide a way of verifying that this does not actually happen?  Note in this case, after researching 8-9 times, you should hit the allowed awake time.
On the version I have (Y14), while it does give the "an hour passes", and it does hit the "allowed awake time", it does not add to the turn count. Not a major bug to be fair, and don't know if fixing this might end having unintended side effects.

Kinda sad that the "precision" attack is not possible with ranged attacks anymore for now at least, but I guess it's a fair enough fix for the problem present. Maybe add a different "type" of precision attack that only goes for ranged weapons?

On a different note, not so much a bug report, but a request for extra documentation and information about something I haven't managed to find in the game: Max range for ranged sneak attacks. From experimentation it seems to max at 3 squares, but it might be only for the short bow with sheath arrows. But either way, it's probably something that could be interesting to have in the game, even if only in the help documentation.

Edit: And on a bit of a different subject, could you make a compiling tutorial for those who have absolutely no idea of what they are doing with compilers? Trying to compile the last source code for these bug fixes that will stop my game from breaking, but I managed to do is to grapple with VS2010 and mingw for hours without getting any closer to actually doing it. :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:08:33 pm by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2014, 11:53:59 pm »

Edit: And on a bit of a different subject, could you make a compiling tutorial for those who have absolutely no idea of what they are doing with compilers? Trying to compile the last source code for these bug fixes that will stop my game from breaking, but I managed to do is to grapple with VS2010 and mingw for hours without getting any closer to actually doing it. :P
The problem with this is that it's a endless time sink.  Ever had a relative that had a "computer problem" and "it'll only take five minutes"?  Unfortunately, the possibilities of what might have gone wrong are endless, and you end up spending hours if not days.  And so it is, for compiler problems.  It would suck whatever enjoyment I have for working on Incursion right out of me.  :'(

You are wasting your time with mingw.  If you have Visual Studio 2010, it should pretty much just compile, once you follow the instructions in the readme file.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2014, 12:02:26 am »

The problem with this is that it's a endless time sink.  Ever had a relative that had a "computer problem" and "it'll only take five minutes"?  Unfortunately, the possibilities of what might have gone wrong are endless, and you end up spending hours if not days.  And so it is, for compiler problems.  It would suck whatever enjoyment I have for working on Incursion right out of me.  :'(

You are wasting your time with mingw.  If you have Visual Studio 2010, it should pretty much just compile, once you follow the instructions in the readme file.
Ok, just need need a few answers then, for when you have time of course:
What is the _dependencies folder? Or rather, where it is located? Do I create it in the incursion folder? What's exactly are the libtcod source files? Everything inside the SRC folder? And how do I tell the VS2010 to build libtcod? The project file in the incursion folder doesn't seem to include it as a project?
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2014, 01:55:04 am »

Ok, just need need a few answers then, for when you have time of course:
What is the _dependencies folder? Or rather, where it is located? Do I create it in the incursion folder? What's exactly are the libtcod source files? Everything inside the SRC folder? And how do I tell the VS2010 to build libtcod? The project file in the incursion folder doesn't seem to include it as a project?
This should answer all but the last two.

I've updated the instructions on the bitbucket page, to give solutions to the rest.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2014, 05:18:19 am »

Thanks!   :D

Edit: But no luck. Possibly some alteration in the VS2010 configs that I'm not doing, possibly some environment variables that would need to be changed, possibly some things that would need to commented out, possibly some extra dependency I'm missing (since the only subfolder in my _dependencies folder is the libtcod one, and it isn't alone in yours), but I think I'm giving up trying to compile it and will just wait patiently for next version. :P For how much I'm struggling with this, by the time I manage to figure out how to do it, you'd release a few extra versions already. :P
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:17:23 am by Felius »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2014, 02:47:55 am »

Thanks!   :D

Edit: But no luck. Possibly some alteration in the VS2010 configs that I'm not doing, possibly some environment variables that would need to be changed, possibly some things that would need to commented out, possibly some extra dependency I'm missing (since the only subfolder in my _dependencies folder is the libtcod one, and it isn't alone in yours), but I think I'm giving up trying to compile it and will just wait patiently for next version. :P For how much I'm struggling with this, by the time I manage to figure out how to do it, you'd release a few extra versions already. :P
Everything in my _dependencies folder except for libtcod is not used.  And the only things which are used are the things in the 7z file, which is the pick of the libtcod source code and the prebuilt binaries.

There were some unnecessary things in the Incursion source code, which may have caused problems.  These have been removed.

I've also taken a last pass at updating the compilation instructions.  These are now completely up to date, and comprehensive.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2014, 07:30:19 am »

Hmm, I was trying to compile from the vcxproj instead of the sln. Furthermore, I was trying to compile from the 66201ed which seemed to die by trying to find some files that weren't present (possibly the unused paths). Using Visual C++ 2010 Express.

Still getting some errors, but these seem to be related to the need to update the VS2010. Will let it be known as soon as the update finishes (might be nice to add a "update Visual Studio" line for those completely ignorant like me (or worse :P ), but that's details :P ).

And on a different note, your mobile carrier is kinda evil I guess? I'd say I know your pain, but mine doesn't seem to actually measure how much I use, and my 300MB bandwith (after which it'd go to dialup speed instead of 4g) lasts for many, many GB. :P

Edit: And hourra, it worked.

For one last question: Do I take everything out of the debug folder and put it in the main folder, just the Incursion.exe, or do I copy the dlls to the debug folder?

Edit2: Well, not so last question after all: It doesn't seem to generate the Options.dat file. Is that correct and I should just use the previous version file or did I do something wrong when compiling it?

And on another point: It doesn't seem to be save game compatible, is that correct?

Edit3: Well, I think most things are correct now, running the game from inside the Visual Studio instead directly from the .exe, and it seems to be kinda working, so this is probably a bug report, not a compilation issue:

Code: [Select]
Unhandled exception at 0x006d87d6 in Incursion.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.Taking me to line 550 in magic.cpp
          if (e.EMagic->eval == EA_BLAST || e.EMagic->eval == EA_DRAIN)For the actions being taken: Had just walked into a room, going to check in the save if I can reproduce it.

Edit4: Didn't managed to reproduce, but here's the save anyway:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8hg84kuggcg7rh/Wuyondra%20%284%29.7z?dl=0
Had killed the warhorse and walked into the forge room.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:49:43 am by Felius »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2014, 02:12:26 pm »

In my experience, when you update/recompile, you have to start a new game. No savegame compatibility across versions.

As for options.dat, hmm, no idea.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2014, 02:32:08 pm »

Bug report time. This appeared in the incursion window (the one I'm playing on, that is).
Error: Assert failed: 'iStrBufDelQueue <
STRING QUEUE SIZE' in file e:\roguelike\incu
rsion\rmtew-incursion-roguelike-744341f5251c\serc\
base.cpp, line 68.
While fighting a bunch of zombies, with a break, exit and continue options.
Break took me to the VS2010 window, specifically to line 639 of Wibtcod.cpp
BREAKOUT;Reloading haven't managed to reproduce it.
Continue option didn't do anything in this case.

In my experience, when you update/recompile, you have to start a new game. No savegame compatibility across versions.
Unless there's some issue I'm missing (which is not unlikely at all), my Y14 character seems to be functioning normally in the compiled "latest" version.

Edit:
On a different matter, does anyone know of a good way to train strength with a drow rogue character? I've been trying to do adventuring while encumbered, as mentioned in an old wiki, but that doesn't seem to increase my training progress any.

And any ideas of what what abuses strength? Even when I manage to get the training progress a bit up, it seems to fall down rather quickly.

Edit2: While I haven't managed to purposefully reproduce it, the line 550 bug described a couple posts before seem to happen every so often in the game, without any particularly apparent reason, or at least nothing I'm doing.

Edit3: And for an easier to check bug now, with an attached save:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8d6n0nh6q38jnv/Wuyondra%20%2823%29.7z?dl=0

The lighting bolt inherent Sabine grants at divine favor level 3 seems to be taking in account the sum of the favor levels of the character of all the gods when calculating damage, not merely Sabine's. My character with Sabine favor 4, Xel favor 5 and Zurvash favor 3 is doing 12d6+2 damage with said inherent spell.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:07:40 pm by Felius »

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2014, 07:59:01 pm »

As for options.dat, hmm, no idea.
The options.dat text is noise.

The savegame compatibility is release version specific.  So, if you have a save game from Y13 you cannot play it with Y14.  You can of course make it work by editing the binary file, and bumping the version, but the risk is that some game data structure has changed.  So if someone does this, and observes problems, it cannot be certain that the problem is not a game data structure change.

In theory, it should be possible for me to allow save game usage over multiple game release versions, but that would require analysing all changes to work out whether the save games should be made invalid in each new release.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2014, 08:09:16 pm »

Hmm, I was trying to compile from the vcxproj instead of the sln. Furthermore, I was trying to compile from the 66201ed which seemed to die by trying to find some files that weren't present (possibly the unused paths). Using Visual C++ 2010 Express.

Still getting some errors, but these seem to be related to the need to update the VS2010. Will let it be known as soon as the update finishes (might be nice to add a "update Visual Studio" line for those completely ignorant like me (or worse :P ), but that's details :P ).
To me, it is as relevant to Incursion, as a section on updating Windows.

For one last question: Do I take everything out of the debug folder and put it in the main folder, just the Incursion.exe, or do I copy the dlls to the debug folder?
The instructions on the project page on bitbucket are pretty much definitive, telling you what to do.  What they probably don't say, and which you won't know if you aren't experienced with Visual Studio, is that it is only sufficient for running within Visual Studio.  I can add that.

Edit3: Well, I think most things are correct now, running the game from inside the Visual Studio instead directly from the .exe, and it seems to be kinda working, so this is probably a bug report, not a compilation issue:

Unhandled exception at 0x006d87d6 in Incursion.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.Taking me to line 550 in magic.cpp
          if (e.EMagic->eval == EA_BLAST || e.EMagic->eval == EA_DRAIN)For the actions being taken: Had just walked into a room, going to check in the save if I can reproduce it.

Edit4: Didn't managed to reproduce, but here's the save anyway:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8hg84kuggcg7rh/Wuyondra%20%284%29.7z?dl=0
Had killed the warhorse and walked into the forge room.
I can do nothing with this, unless there's a reproduction case.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2014, 06:34:35 am »

I can do nothing with this, unless there's a reproduction case.
I think it's a bug in some spell one of the npcs is casting somewhere in the map, but since the game crashes when he does, I'm having difficulty to identify which npc and which spell. If normal play doesn't manage to zero on it by the week after the next, I'll try extensive monster by monster testing with the wizard mode since I'll have much more free time to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24