No.
- 1 (7.1%)
Yes and (SAY WHO IN A POST) runs it.
- 6 (42.9%)
Moo. I am a sheep. -said the goat
- 7 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: D&D 5th Edition Who-wants-to-try-this Thingie  (Read 31124 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5th Edition Who-wants-to-try-this Thingie
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2014, 02:42:37 am »

ther seems to be only 1 subclass per class in the basic rules (well, they are basic rules after all)... Is the PHB1 (or its equivalent) out yet, or soon ?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2014, 02:45:59 am »

The PHB comes out August 19th.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2014, 02:53:41 am »

One month. :c

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2014, 08:38:44 am »

One month. :c
I'm already about to go see if the local games store will let me pay for it in advance. I'm pretty sure my friends who love 3.5 would be interested in that. Throw in the campaign I just bought for 4e and just use 5e ruling and you got yourself a 5e game with a deck of many things
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2014, 12:45:49 pm »

well i want to try the pre made character is that ok?
http://ow.ly/i/5X4Jr/original

If you want to, sure. That means we're up to four characters, once My Name is Immaterial figures out why Mythweavers hates me so much I still can't see anything. Just send me a screenshot or something if have to. Of course we have two fighters, no wizards and several other people who have expressed interest, so I'm in no rush to start the campaign just yet.

I might join in with this, actually. No promises, though... time zones are a bitch. Also the last thing I need is another major time sink.

Don't worry, we'll be going with PbP so time zones shouldn't matter too much.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2014, 12:50:23 pm »

The difference between 5e and 4e is 5e went back to big brother 3.5

I know that. But it's still D&D. He's not learning an entirely new system, just a variant on the one he already knows. A fairly large variant, admittedly, but the entire system hasn't been changed.
He's used to wizards being instant casters, which they aren't anymore. Also, there is no subclass, just paragon paths and epic destinies in 4e (although multiclass is also there in 4e)
Wait, wizards aren't instant casters in this? I read through the whole rules pretty much and made a wizard on the side, and what are they if not instant casters? Coming from 3.5e playing a (level 1...) wizard 5e wizards look great, 1d10 fire bolt every round potential so they don't suck early on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2014, 03:28:54 pm »

I might join in with this, actually. No promises, though... time zones are a bitch. Also the last thing I need is another major time sink.
That's... pretty good, actually.

I know that. But it's still D&D. He's not learning an entirely new system, just a variant on the one he already knows. A fairly large variant, admittedly, but the entire system hasn't been changed.
He's used to wizards being instant casters, which they aren't anymore. Also, there is no subclass, just paragon paths and epic destinies in 4e (although multiclass is also there in 4e)
Wait, wizards aren't instant casters in this? I read through the whole rules pretty much and made a wizard on the side, and what are they if not instant casters? Coming from 3.5e playing a (level 1...) wizard 5e wizards look great, 1d10 fire bolt every round potential so they don't suck early on.
> level 1
> 1d10 fire bolt
> every round

Wat.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2014, 04:31:02 pm »

That's... pretty good, actually.

> level 1
> 1d10 fire bolt
> every round

Wat.

In 4e, that's like every sorcerer at will. I'm just shocked first level cleric spells have the damage dice that is almost double or triple that of most 4e dailies in heroic tier at the first level. Like holy sweet god, that's a lot of damage, and it only gets bigger at higher levels

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:10 pm »

I gotta figure out how to make a sheet that dosent leave out shit, as every one I have seen, even combined, leave out things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:44 pm »

I gotta figure out how to make a sheet that dosent leave out shit, as every one I have seen, even combined, leave out things.
Mine leaves out artwork, so you can just steal the PDF and rewrite it

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2014, 05:10:22 pm »

> level 1
> 1d10 fire bolt
> every round

Wat.
You have to roll to hit as a wizard, and on top of that there's a dex save to negate damage. That raw 1d10 with no damage added is equivalent or slightly worse than using a longsword 2handed as a fighter, where you'll probably have higher bonuses and you get to add your strength modifier to damage.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2014, 03:34:22 pm »

You have to roll to hit as a wizard, and on top of that there's a dex save to negate damage. That raw 1d10 with no damage added is equivalent or slightly worse than using a longsword 2handed as a fighter, where you'll probably have higher bonuses and you get to add your strength modifier to damage.
So, pretty much like 3.5e, just more spammy?

no wizards
I'll roll up a wizard at some point in the near future.

Are we waiting for the PHB or just going with the current rules?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2014, 03:39:52 pm »

Going with the current rules, obviously. Though if we're still playing when the PHB comes out we might switch to that. We'll see.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2014, 04:34:56 pm »

Going with the current rules, obviously. Though if we're still playing when the PHB comes out we might switch to that. We'll see.
When PHB comes out, if it's fine, I'd like to change my domain to war so it makes sense to follow Thor

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2014, 07:04:02 pm »

I might have to drop out, I might not have as much time on my hands as I thought.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18