Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7090 7091 [7092] 7093 7094 ... 10970

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12950471 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106365 on: July 21, 2016, 09:06:52 pm »

Wait, isn't that what science is all about?

My life is a lie.

This somehow reminds me of this one kid I knew who was doing an agronomy study thing on soy.
He said it was SOYENCEI'm soy Soyrry
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106366 on: July 21, 2016, 09:09:48 pm »

"Hard" sciences also get more prestige and attention 'cuz they're easier to make money out of.
Have you seen how much psychiatrists get paid?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #106367 on: July 21, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »

My life is a lie.

This somehow reminds me of this one kid I knew who was doing an agronomy study thing on soy.

Those puns were soy bad I can taste it. Tastes like a meat substitute made from a species of bean.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106368 on: July 21, 2016, 09:18:33 pm »

"Hard" sciences also get more prestige and attention 'cuz they're easier to make money out of.
Well in the case of soft science you can still be paid a lot of money if the stuff you are doing 'sounds right' but may actually be wrong. 

Like Asperger syndrome, it seems to be a tossup these days whether it is actually anything distinct from high functioning autism.  Yet how many folks were diagnosed with it (and doctors paid) with it back in the 90s?  Yet now it's debatable it is even a thing?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106369 on: July 21, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »

Psychiatrists != psychologists. Psychiatrists are just medics with some psychology training. Actual psychologists don't get paid that much. Also that's the biomedical sciences, not humanities.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106370 on: July 21, 2016, 09:20:28 pm »

My life is a lie.

Those puns were soy bad I can taste it. Tastes like a meat substitute made from a species of bean.

You just have no taste for... SOY FI
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106371 on: July 21, 2016, 09:22:17 pm »

You just have no taste for... SOY FI
Yeah, it's almost like they don't live in a land where half the stuff has soy in it in soyme way.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #106372 on: July 21, 2016, 09:25:53 pm »

I mean, hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106373 on: July 21, 2016, 09:28:50 pm »

what

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #106374 on: July 21, 2016, 09:29:31 pm »

I'm just saying that hard science is based ob reality while soft science is based on, well, basically magic.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #106375 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:36 pm »

I'm just saying that hard science is based ob reality while soft science is based on, well, basically magic.

No, hard science is easier to use quantitative analysis, which is more or less objective, while soft science is more along the lines of qualitative analysis, which is a lot more subjective and open to interpretation.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #106376 on: July 21, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »

I use "Greater Psychophysics" to imitate feats of engineering with 80% realness
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #106377 on: July 21, 2016, 09:34:58 pm »

Yeah, basically. You don't need to convince someone as much that planes can fly, than to convince them about economics.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106378 on: July 21, 2016, 10:51:24 pm »

Like Asperger syndrome, it seems to be a tossup these days whether it is actually anything distinct from high functioning autism.  Yet how many folks were diagnosed with it (and doctors paid) with it back in the 90s?  Yet now it's debatable it is even a thing?

To be fair, they have the same treatments and the same symptoms. Even though the people were diagnosed with different disorders, it didn't impact the quality of the care they received afterwards.

Anyway, it seems that after the ego depletion fiasco psychology is seeing a major self-reexamination, and it seems to be improving from it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #106379 on: July 21, 2016, 11:29:07 pm »

Ego depletion? Sorry, I'm a tad out of the psychology loop.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 7090 7091 [7092] 7093 7094 ... 10970