Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849443 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3990 on: April 10, 2016, 10:44:58 pm »

I actually think having my fishermen, hunters, herbalists and woodcutters be able to turn into trees when 300 goblins suddenly turn up might improve their life expectancy considerably.

-- Sudden image of projectile vomit hitting goblins as they pass through a seemingly ordinary grove of trees...
Just hope ALL your woodcutters Pick up that spell, Otherwise You may end up with Quite a few "Dwarf_Wood_Items".
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: April 11, 2016, 12:50:08 am »

I'll admit that I've done a bit of TLDR in this thread lately, for which I apologize, but I'll link this in case anyone talking or wondering about magic hasn't seen it yet:

Does this work?

gdc talk

It has the "free content" tag on it, so I'm vaguely optimistic it'll work for some people.

It's regarding the myth generator, but it gives hints on how Toady might approach adding magic. For instance, a force associated with shadows might give access to "douse flames" or "deepen shadows" spells or the ability to see in the dark. And as far as a chaotic side of magic, or a chance of failure, it seems that being interrupted or otherwise botching the attempt will make the spell itself fizzle and then potentially alter something in the spell caster, like making them lose their sense of self, or becoming more dream-like, whatever that is.

I think the brothers will come up with a list of spells and abilities, assign them relationships to spheres, and then the gods/beings/powers associated with the spheres will allow their followers to cast those spells. They will also come up with potential consequence of failure, and potential ways of casting (meditating, dancing, breaking a rune etc), and randomly assign it to the spells.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: April 11, 2016, 01:10:07 am »

What was with the [AMBUSHER] tag being removed from goblins?
Seems like there might be a bit too many of them...

What makes people become monster hunters and mercenaries?
A few questions more to do with "timeline".
What release might the mounts be more usable for combat?
Animal care really has been a useless skill so whats been stopping dwarfs from caring for animals?
Armor for animals how much armor could we cover of a dragon without immobilising it or would there be some special armor designs for animals that would be ideal to have it?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: April 11, 2016, 04:15:36 am »

Thickness scales with creature size atm so dragon armor is THICK. If you make some with a reaction or hack it into existence while playing as a dragon you will note it is literally tons of armor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: April 11, 2016, 05:35:50 am »

Nevermind how absurd it is to have greaves on a naga, silly human armor on a dragon is just going too far. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3995 on: April 11, 2016, 07:10:49 am »

I'll admit that I've done a bit of TLDR in this thread lately, for which I apologize, but I'll link this in case anyone talking or wondering about magic hasn't seen it yet:

Does this work?

gdc talk

It has the "free content" tag on it, so I'm vaguely optimistic it'll work for some people.

It's regarding the myth generator, but it gives hints on how Toady might approach adding magic. For instance, a force associated with shadows might give access to "douse flames" or "deepen shadows" spells or the ability to see in the dark. And as far as a chaotic side of magic, or a chance of failure, it seems that being interrupted or otherwise botching the attempt will make the spell itself fizzle and then potentially alter something in the spell caster, like making them lose their sense of self, or becoming more dream-like, whatever that is.

I think the brothers will come up with a list of spells and abilities, assign them relationships to spheres, and then the gods/beings/powers associated with the spheres will allow their followers to cast those spells. They will also come up with potential consequence of failure, and potential ways of casting (meditating, dancing, breaking a rune etc), and randomly assign it to the spells.

That is how it seems. And I love it.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: April 11, 2016, 07:34:21 am »

"04/06/2016 Toady One The 30 jobs per work order limit is gone. You can also set perpetual orders. It doesn't place more than one job per shop and instead of waiting to renew them it checks jobs on completion to see if they should stick around. ..." from the Download page.
1. Does this means perpetual jobs stick around even if the previous attempt failed (Current example: The collect web job on repeat will be removed if someone happens to destroy a random piece of web the job happened to have selected for collection)? I'd prefer the answer to be "yes" of course.
2. A follow on question in case of a "yes" is whether jobs then would sit around waiting for conditions to allow them to complete before allocation, rather than generating cancellation spam? (basically a sanity check).
3. A third follow on question in case of a "yes" to the second one is whether these conditionally suspended jobs would act as suspended jobs do currently, or whether they would act as unallocated jobs do currently, i.e. whether they would just be passed by until "activated" by conditions being met, or would sit at the top of the queue blocking orders below them until fulfilled?

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: April 11, 2016, 09:28:41 am »

With the myth generator, is it expected to ever be possible that the world mythology will involve the world being a disc floating in space (this has, I think, been asked before)? If so, my question is, if the myth level is sufficiently high that this is the reality, will it be possible to dig through the earth completely and arrive on the other side, involving falling through the void/flipping gravity to walk on the other side/something else interesting happening that would not happen in non-disc worlds?
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3998 on: April 11, 2016, 10:51:18 am »

I actually think having my fishermen, hunters, herbalists and woodcutters be able to turn into trees when 300 goblins suddenly turn up might improve their life expectancy considerably.

-- Sudden image of projectile vomit hitting goblins as they pass through a seemingly ordinary grove of trees...

The argument against this is when it comes down to situations like dragons,is it's a dumb idea to for example to turn into a plant when you are afraid of a dragon instead of running into a fortress, the dwarf would see dragon, freak out, turn into a plant and be charbroiled, that's an AI challenge that is difficult to beat without a lot of hard coding for specific events.

See nw I DO understand the difficulties
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:53:24 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: April 11, 2016, 11:03:25 am »

Turning into a plant sounds like excellent camouflage to me. :P

100% pedantry, doesn't actually have anything to do with your argument.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4000 on: April 11, 2016, 12:31:24 pm »

"04/06/2016 Toady One The 30 jobs per work order limit is gone. You can also set perpetual orders. It doesn't place more than one job per shop and instead of waiting to renew them it checks jobs on completion to see if they should stick around. ..." from the Download page.
2. A follow on question in case of a "yes" is whether jobs then would sit around waiting for conditions to allow them to complete before allocation, rather than generating cancellation spam? (basically a sanity check).

He mentions 'conditional workorders' seperately in the last paragraph as still upcoming, but no idea if those are defined differently. Regardless, anyone annoyed with micromanagement in DF is gonna love next release if conditional workorders make it in.

As for my own question about magic, it wasn't answered, just hijacked by some people rambling about AI while all I was curious about is the deployment of these types of features over the course of the development...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: April 11, 2016, 12:51:33 pm »

Turning into a plant is excellent camouflage provided:
- You see the enemy before they see you, so you can do it unseen; or
  - The enemy is as stupid as they frequently are in computer games and decide that since they can no longer see you it was nothing and the new plant replacing you probably has been there all along; and
- The enemy isn't likely to set fire to the landscape any second because another target has presented itself (Untrustedlife above); and
- You don't turn into something the enemy (or local wildlife!) is interested in eating or make fire wood out of (unlikely wildlife would do this, though); and
- You don't transform in the path of the main enemy force and get trampled; and
- You can transform back; and
- You can control when to transform back so you don't do it when the scout that you saw has been replaced by the main army (point copied from elsewhere); and
- You can see/sense the surroundings so your controlled turning back doesn't land you in the middle of the enemy column anyway; and
- You have the sense to use this spell only when it is a better option than to run away, attack, or hide conventionally to sneak away (this condition is sometimes met by players, but considerably harder for an AI to meet, and thus really is the main point); and

@therahedwig: I agree work material availability is a basic condition, but since repeats are going to be included in the first round I think the question is relevant.
I interpret "conditional workorders" as things like "produce plant socks when stocks are below 20", or even better "produce plant socks when stocks of masterworks [plant socks optional criterion] are below 20", and "shift usage of pig tails from thread to booze when the stocks of [pig tail | plant | any] masterworks socks are above 20", and certainly something I'd definitely want: "shear shearable creature when available; spin hair when available; milk milkable animal when available; make cheese when stocks of same kind cheese is lower than milk".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: April 11, 2016, 12:59:29 pm »

Walking forward is an excellent way to get where you're going provided that you're facing the way you want to go, there are no obstacles in your way, you have legs, your feet aren't tied together, you don't walk off a cliff...
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: April 11, 2016, 01:03:19 pm »

Walking forward is an excellent way to get where you're going provided that you're facing the way you want to go, there are no obstacles in your way, you have legs, your feet aren't tied together, you don't walk off a cliff...

E pur si muove. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4004 on: April 11, 2016, 03:16:47 pm »

He mentions 'conditional workorders' seperately in the last paragraph as still upcoming, but no idea if those are defined differently. Regardless, anyone annoyed with micromanagement in DF is gonna love next release if conditional workorders make it in.

As for my own question about magic, it wasn't answered, just hijacked by some people rambling about AI while all I was curious about is the deployment of these types of features over the course of the development...

Yeah it got intense there for awhile
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 306