Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 191725 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i take it you say it's working better now than it was then

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile

At one time even ISIS flags were brought out.
That seems strange considering that ISIS would never support a group that collaborates with Hezbollah.
Why do I not see these 1000s of muslims protesting at our same government buildings, asking for UN intervention agains IS?
Do they not mind their ancient mosques, and even the tomb of Jonah, who is a recognized, and important prophet according to the Qu'ran, being labelled heretic, and destroyed?
Do they not mind their muslim brothers being slaughtered by IS?
In my country where out of 17 million population, nearly 2 million are muslim, I find it eerie to hear so very little condemning sounds, in the public debate, from our muslim community, against IS.
I don't think it's hard to see why Muslims would be reluctant to support another western invasion of Iraq, considering that the last one took us to this point.  It may be the only feasible solution now though.
yeah war has all sorts of side effects politics are both more and less complicated then they seem
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

It's funny (well, not really, but you know), I saw Vice News articles that were basically the ISIS not that long ago. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

i take it you say it's working better now than it was then

No, I do not. You, however, said word for word that "fixing what works fine only leads to a shitstorm". Syria and Libya weren't working fine.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

So two US F-18 striked "mobile artillery pieces".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Iraq mess is partially a mess that we created (the current state of Iraq, not ISIS), so the US sort of feels like it's our responsibility to do something about it.

That and ISIS has become/is becoming worse than the Mongols and Hitler combined. Heck, the Mongols, as brutal as they were, were tolerant of other religions. At least before Genghis Khan's empire fractured among his sons and some areas converted to Islam.

Though yes, the US, like everybody else, was majorly distracted by Ukraine.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heck, the Mongols, as brutal as they were, were tolerant of other religions.

While true and most people don't know how sophisticated and political the Mongols were, to the extent where the common vision of Gengis Kahn is basically a cartoon character. Not to mention they are simply the more popular barbarian hoard and there was more than one.

The Mongols still did cut a bloody swath and used ordinary civilians as human shields.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Using human shields was the least of Mongolian brutality.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never said the Mongols weren't brutal.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Not replying to you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not replying to you.

Was replying to you and neonivek........

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From what I understand:
Iraq = Weak Army, never recovered its strength after US invasion, despite US sponsored advising and training.
ISIS = One of the rebel factions in Syria.  Syria focused on destroying the other rebel factions.  (Or the others were just much easier to hamstring.)  Which in part allowed ISIS to flourish, possibly absorbing some of the lesser rebel factions into its own, while further weakening the others with rebel infighting.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems more like the Iraqi army has discipline problems in that some of them (I believe) just didn't want to fight fellow Sunni and other reasons.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

How likely is it that US air attacks will benefit the Kurds in their push for statehood more than anyone else?
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Quite likely. The easiest way to get rid of Kurdi statehood is to have them first be overrun then liberated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 136