Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358802 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #405 on: September 23, 2014, 12:17:26 pm »

I've been promoting the game on some other forums I often visit so hopefully that will give it some more buzz. Now if only Kickstarter accepted Paypal I could actually back the game myself   :'(
What kind of scope are you planning on giving the demo by the way? Will it be limited to X turns, or will it be an entire game but limited to only one Sleeper/Background and with the current placeholder graphics?

One small nitpick: I noticed that the red text was hard to read on the dark background in the videos.  I'm unable to read what is under "A body yet Remains" after the second combat in the Combat DevLog. This might of course be due to the resolution of the video but just in case it isn't it's never too early for betatesting  :)

It leaves a war standard behind, which I assume makes orcs keep showing up in those woods and bothering the people. 

I'm seriously itching for that demo, though Belial only makes me sad.  I'll deal with it.  When?!
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #406 on: September 23, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »

DEMO DEMO - Belial and Karth are both playable in the demo, but currently only Belial has a proper tutorial.  Haven't gotten back to it yet, I'll be able to give you a good estimate by the end of the week.

So we found out from a bunch of people that social media presence helps your KS project's search visibility (and getting it staff picked), so if you guys share/tweet/facebook or anything it's hugely appreciated.  We really did not prioritize social media so we're a bit behind there, gotta pick up our facetweeting.

Our facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thatwhichsleeps
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 23, 2014, 04:14:34 pm »

Don't start a post with DEMO DEMO, it gets my hopes up.   :'(
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 23, 2014, 04:25:52 pm »

DEMO DEMO - Belial and Karth are both playable in the demo, but currently only Belial has a proper tutorial.  Haven't gotten back to it yet, I'll be able to give you a good estimate by the end of the week.

So we found out from a bunch of people that social media presence helps your KS project's search visibility (and getting it staff picked), so if you guys share/tweet/facebook or anything it's hugely appreciated.  We really did not prioritize social media so we're a bit behind there, gotta pick up our facetweeting.

It's a sad truth of indie game development that an effective way of getting your name out there is enlisting as many people as you can into blindly firing the hype cannon into the TwitBookSpace and hoping it hits something meaningful. I generally prefer it when devs don't whore out social media just to get recognized, but I know in a lot of ways it's detrimental if they don't.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #409 on: September 23, 2014, 05:40:00 pm »

It's a sad truth of indie game development that an effective way of getting your name out there is enlisting as many people as you can into blindly firing the hype cannon into the TwitBookSpace and hoping it hits something meaningful. I generally prefer it when devs don't whore out social media just to get recognized, but I know in a lot of ways it's detrimental if they don't.

Yeah, it's terrible but the metrics show that if you get "Staff Picked" you get an increase of up to 40% just from people who visit Kickstarter - which apparently is driven a lot by social media presence.  So we aim for that as it will hopefully get us up over some of the fun stretch goals.  That being said, not gonna ask anyone to do it again because I agree it's pretty distasteful.

On the plus side, it looks like even if we are again not picked up by any journalists we should get baseline funding.  Time to get my priorities back to principally development.
That Which Sleeps

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 23, 2014, 05:42:51 pm »

On the plus side, it looks like even if we are again not picked up by any journalists we should get baseline funding.  Time to get my priorities back to principally development.

The benefit of picking a funded level that's believably consistent with your project. If you end up with 25 days of pure stretch funding, that can be in some ways a bigger success than the last minute, breakneck race to meeting a much higher funding level.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 23, 2014, 06:17:03 pm »

So, can we have a bit of a rundown with the old ones? I understand that Karth is our personification of war, and Azlan is the Cthulhu-like, so we have all the info on them that we need, but what about the other two?

Besides implied to be a formal mortal, we don't have much info on Sysiphus and what he does, and I can't even recall who Belial is and what his motivations are?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2014, 06:21:52 pm »

Belial was the intrigue god and he could predict and manipulate random events, and I think once he's awake he can cause his own "random" events.

And Sisyphus gets special options for imbuing agents as well as some kind of special interaction with the chosen one we don't know about yet.
Shoes...

Denim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2014, 06:36:24 pm »

From what I saw in the earlier videos Belial is a bit like Shai'Tan from the Wheel of Time series. Or at least his powers are similar (can see through the eyes of rats and blackbirds, and can twist the weave of destiny to create disasters).

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2014, 07:20:46 pm »

Good observation Denim, Belial was modeled originally after Shai'Tan though we took his special interactions with Lews Therin and gave them to Sisyphus whose background gave more legitimacy to the events.

Belial is also our "intro" Old One, his powers are meant to allow you to recover from mistakes and poor planning.  If you play as him originally, as you probably should, you won't see them as a crutch but as a fundamental element that is lost when transitioning to a different Old One.  For instance, his ability to create Infiltration anywhere on the map means that even if you haven't had the foresight to plant a spy in a nation that may soon go to war with your allies you can quickly rectify that.  In addition to that, his power over random events gives you the foresight to be able to capitalize on what otherwise would require you to well prepared for. 

On top of that, he has abilities that hasten movement, cause effects to linger over multiple turns, and your more generic hero buffs.  All in all, he reinforces the general mechanics of the game without distorting them.  It may seem like that makes him "boring" but on the contrary his abilties make pursuing any path feasible and can lead to really interesting and unexpected situations.  Also when he rises..... his power over random events is very, very fun.

Sisyphus represents the Fallen Man, who wanted to make the world perfect but in doing so lost his humanity.  He has a lot of interesting powers revolving around agents, going so far as to create a council that a certain number of agents can join.  He also wishes to bring the Chosen One to his side, and a massive arch revolves around that - for both the Chosen One and Sisyphus himself.  His powers eventually allow him to create zones of "perfect tranquility" where his reign is absolute, and he can personally teach powerful ancient rituals to his agents. 

Sisyphus was my favorite choice when we finished him, and remained so for awhile - but at this point I've played out his plot so much that I rarely use him for testing.  Still, his ability to pacify the world combined with powerful heroes generates this incredible amount of tension on the sub-level below the military.  As armies stand idly by and the world appears motionless, the heroes of the world are desperately trying to undo what you've done. 

Kath is fun, and will always be fun - I never tire of raising massive orc hordes and burning places done.  He is absolutely terrible on our Guilds and Trading map right now, it's almost sad seeing his orcs just sit waiting at the shore for boats that never come.  Not sure if we need to adjust him, or if we simply allow that maybe some worlds just aren't meant to be ruled by some Old Ones.
That Which Sleeps

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2014, 07:35:47 pm »

Just had an idea for another Old One I'd like to mod. It'd be based off the David Eddings novels the Elenium, where he posited there were three troll gods. The god of EAT, the god of KILL and the God of, well,....FUCK. I always did fancy primordial beings over more rarefied kinds of deities.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2014, 07:56:10 pm »

Seems like the easiest solution to the Karth problem would be to have a power he (or that orc warboss you can get) could have to personally raise a fleet of ad-hoc orc-pirate transports, maybe even have it so that his avatar has to be there for it to happen, so you could get the impression of a massive Orc WAAAGH!!! viking army sailing over the sea for more fertile lands. Unless I'm completely misinterpreting what the problem actually is.

Also, with the oncoming demo, how many features are actually going to be in the maps themselves? Are there going to be certain actions, classes and POI's grayed out from us? Is the editor not going to be in there and, if it is, only have the cosmetic part of it available or something?

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:45 pm »

I've always been quite cynical towards Kickstarter because I've got the impression that it rewards good marketers rather than good developers. I'm so excited by That Which Sleeps though that I've actually signed up to Kickstarter for the first time so I can back it. Make something awesome guys - don't let me down.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2014, 11:53:23 pm »

Wow, it's pretty impressive that the kickstarter is now over half done.

By the way, I've had small question from way back near the start of this thread, so I should ask no before I forget: You said before that there is a wound that causes a hero to lose health every time they attack (cracked ribs, I think), so does that mean it's possible for a hero to literally kill himself if he has one health, or will he specifically hold off or run away (assuming that's possible)? I have to know this, since I think being able to do your job for you like that is hilarious.

For that matter, any chance for you to share a story of epic hero/nation stupidity? I want something to laugh at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 24, 2014, 12:37:55 am »

Stumbled over this today and read/watched every piece of media that you guys have put out. Going in at the lowest pledge level for the moment, but there's a whole month for me to be hyped up to a larger pledge ;).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 210