Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358728 times)

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #600 on: October 01, 2014, 09:33:01 am »

Agents have LIMITED goals, it's not as fleshed out as you are imagining it.  One of the early versions of the game pivoted around Agents more as independent to you and were actually working first and foremost for themselves - we didn't like it and went with the more "Agents as Tools" approach.

You will have 100% information on how to recruit the agents, if you mouse-over you will see the "How to Recruit" part at the bottom.

Cities respond to starvation by first cutting rations, almost all the time, which lowers order and may cause rioting.  The AI will act depending on its personality, maybe trading (if the caravan makes it) or trying to raid a neighbor for some grain.  Despotic rulers will absolutely concentrate resources in the capital, as will many other rulers as well.  Nations can weather a drought or famine fairly well with the amount of options, it becomes interesting when you trouble them with another problem at the same time (threat of invasion, civil unrest, undead rising).
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #601 on: October 01, 2014, 09:33:52 am »

Also feel free to go PIE IN THE SKY as far as what happens, part of the purpose of this exercise is so that I can take whatever idea gets voted up and then translate it into what is feasible in the game - so that you guys know both a) what it is you can currently accomplish and b) what you may want me to add in the future.
That Which Sleeps

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #602 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:01 am »

PTW

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 01, 2014, 11:58:53 am »

You know what? Yesterday I was rechecking the pledge for the 8th time in a day when suddenly it occurs me that one of the few things the KK missed was some kind of competition. I played with the idea some minutes but then I resumed my adventures with Croaker and the Lady. And today I come here and what do I find?

I'm wondering how much of the effect the hype has in Game Dev Tycoon is actually true... But I can't avoid it.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 01, 2014, 09:05:12 pm »

Also feel free to go PIE IN THE SKY as far as what happens, part of the purpose of this exercise is so that I can take whatever idea gets voted up and then translate it into what is feasible in the game

I hope you do the balance/quality adjustment as well, to account for the fact that we in fact have no experience with the game. For example, one of the events I found interesting - The Grand Competition - occurs 10 turns (!) after the "preparation" announcement, which if my understanding is correct is significant length of hiatus. And some events proposed seem to require no pre-requisite and little investment but have significant rewards, though I also am talking blind here since I am equally clueless about "average" overall reward as well. Still, there are lot of good ideas and I'm sure you can do well with them!

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 02, 2014, 12:36:01 am »

Also feel free to go PIE IN THE SKY as far as what happens, part of the purpose of this exercise is so that I can take whatever idea gets voted up and then translate it into what is feasible in the game

I hope you do the balance/quality adjustment as well, to account for the fact that we in fact have no experience with the game. For example, one of the events I found interesting - The Grand Competition - occurs 10 turns (!) after the "preparation" announcement, which if my understanding is correct is significant length of hiatus.
Good to know that somebody likes my event  :) I thought 10 turns was a bit much as well, but I wanted heroes and champions from neighbouring countries to join as well and there were about 7 "steps" between the capital of Cylaria and the Arden protectorate and more between other major capitals. I don't know if heroes move more than one step per turn, but since all actual numbers are more or less a placeholder anyway this seemed reasonable.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 02, 2014, 04:21:29 am »

With those orc hordes showcased in your trailers and devlogs, I noticed that they start burning the place to the ground but I don't see them actually take any territory. If that Free State were to actually fall to the horde, what would ultimately become of it? Do they eventually get absorbed into the orc territory or just simply collapse into "black" POIs and cease to exist as a nation? What happens to the people and heroes there?

By the way, can a government regress into a more primitive state?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:47:20 am by Jalak »

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #607 on: October 02, 2014, 08:54:34 am »

10 Turns is probably spot on - we have the same kind of grace period for these types of events just for the reason Lapoleon stated.

The Orcs can absolutely take territory into their kingdom, though the burned down villages offer little use to them.  Alternatively you can simply burn them to the ground.  People flee seized POIs as refugees, heading to nearby nations (and of course causing problems) - Heroes who are loyal to that nation will probably gain the desire for vengeance against the orc kingdom which they will follow up with based on their archetype. 

We do not have government's regressing to primitive states, just to anarchistic states of chaos.
That Which Sleeps

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 02, 2014, 09:17:19 am »

Hey KDG, you mentioned there was going to be a Dev Log on Wednesday. It's Thursday today and my computer can only survive so many hits on the F5 button so is there any info on when we can expect the new log?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 02, 2014, 09:38:20 am »

I'd like to see:
The Grand competition
A royal Wedding
Second chances

In that order of preference
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:32 pm »

Hey KDG, you mentioned there was going to be a Dev Log on Wednesday. It's Thursday today and my computer can only survive so many hits on the F5 button so is there any info on when we can expect the new log?

To say Wednesday is to use a very relative measure of time. Wednesday here in Europe, in Japan, in West-Coast America, in the Moon? Because It's common knowledge that KDG has a regular base in the Moon, and some outposts in Mars and Venus. We're definitely going to hear something about the video in a logical time-frame, say... 2000 years. And yes, all those bases have minions that respond to questions in the name of KDG. It's the only plausible idea. Also, don't ask me why those minions can't do videos, because they are simply unable. You have to be an Old One to do one.

Aside from that I'm too one of those that keep refreshing screens to see if there's even a new pixel.

Questions here: Can I suppose we'll be able to chose the language in the beta so that people like me can check if the translations and the tool-tips are correct? Sometimes even high-budget games have some funny translations, and I'd want to spot them. :D On the other side, will the demo also have the Spanish translation?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:43:26 pm by ERICdb »

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #611 on: October 02, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »

Ah sorry, should've updated - we're rolling in this contest into the DevLog.  So we're going to check the results Friday evening, then I'm going to make a video of me making the Event on Saturday, and then I'm going to get a bunch of me playing footage skipping around until I finally encounter the event (I may artificially up its chance to occur so we can see it).  To compensate for the videos being adjusted we've been setting up Agent Reveals with specific Challenges and Events to roll out. 

We're thinking of a similar concept for the Military DevLog, but we're still figuring out the specifics. 

Sorry about the confusion - we're pretty hectic over here but I do want to make sure I keep communicating expectations properly.  Based on how well the KS is going we've begun approaching artists for the graphical overhaul so we can stay on track for our Beta release, and we've had a lot of interest from industry contacts.  Trust me when I say that all of these distractions are actually looking really positive, and there's been some developments that will really benefit the game in the long run.

I do wish I had Video Editing minions, that would be amazing - or really any minions at this point.  Marketing drives me nuts, but it's looking like this effort is paying off.

I doubt we'll have Spanish in the demo, we had two professionals working on the core strings to the game which is complete but we won't be re-engaging for the Scenario until it's all locked in (which would be for the beta).  However, the beta will absolutely let you switch languages and we will definitely put out a Spanish language demo once the scenario is finalized in Spanish.
That Which Sleeps

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #612 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:16 pm »

Also we THINK that we're going to be able to tackle the map overhaul based on current KS conservative projections.  What we'd like to do is really get you guys involved in the samples we're going to start collecting.   I'll be posting more information in the coming weeks, if you're in the Beta Tester tier you'll be getting more specifics and a link to our scenario viewer build once the KS ends but if not you'll still be getting updates here on the possibilities we've discovered that work within our budget and time constraints.

I want to state again that this is possible because the map itself is treated as a Sprite Background - game mechanics have no dependency on the map and it is simply a matter of aesthetics.  Don't be discouraged if it ends up we cannot replace the maps, the game will still have all the same features and strategic depth.
That Which Sleeps

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 02, 2014, 02:52:14 pm »

Great news!
Also we THINK that we're going to be able to tackle the map overhaul based on current KS conservative projections.  What we'd like to do is really get you guys involved in the samples we're going to start collecting.   I'll be posting more information in the coming weeks, if you're in the Beta Tester tier you'll be getting more specifics and a link to our scenario viewer build once the KS ends but if not you'll still be getting updates here on the possibilities we've discovered that work within our budget and time constraints.

I want to state again that this is possible because the map itself is treated as a Sprite Background - game mechanics have no dependency on the map and it is simply a matter of aesthetics.  Don't be discouraged if it ends up we cannot replace the maps, the game will still have all the same features and strategic depth.

I could live with the current maps, but any improvement is obviously welcomed. And of course if you do give that possibility to beta/higher than beta bakers they will be pleased.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:53:49 pm by ERICdb »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 02, 2014, 05:45:45 pm »

I know you're probably tired of hearing it, but what's our ETA on the demo?  Plx man plx.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 210