Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358739 times)

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #630 on: October 04, 2014, 09:08:39 am »

So how's the Steam Greenlight looking, then? What are your plans for the early access there, if you're planning on going on that route at all?

35% of the way to the top 100 - which is about average for a succesful kickstarter.  If we get to 50% by the end of the KS then we're looking really good. 

We do plan to do Early Access, we'll launch on Early Access when the Beta testers think it's ready.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 04, 2014, 09:20:49 am »

PTW
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 04, 2014, 10:23:56 am »

this might have been asked before and i'm sorry for the hassle if it was but, how modable will the game be? in terms of map making and unit customization 

Denim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 04, 2014, 11:21:25 am »

That event with the herun demon shows that ancient power can be transferred between old ones. Does this mean that I can send an agent to camp out on the seal of a rival old one and use a ritual to siphon away their power and augment my own? Could you even use this as a legitimate path to victory, a sort of dark mirror to the ascension path where you spend most of your time researching and hunting down rivals?

Can rival old ones recruit agents too?

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 04, 2014, 11:29:20 am »

That event with the herun demon shows that ancient power can be transferred between old ones. Does this mean that I can send an agent to camp out on the seal of a rival old one and use a ritual to siphon away their power and augment my own? Could you even use this as a legitimate path to victory, a sort of dark mirror to the ascension path where you spend most of your time researching and hunting down rivals?
That sounds way cool. If it's not a general mechanic of its own, it could be an event. A barrow, seal, or other place of internment / imprisonment is discovered or learned of (and then discovered through research and adventuring) and then possibly either destroyed or parasitically taken advantage of. Or maybe the creature within could be enslaved, or even freed as an agent... so cool. So promising. So potential.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 04, 2014, 12:44:48 pm »

So, is the contest thing over? What won?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #636 on: October 04, 2014, 01:53:03 pm »

this might have been asked before and i'm sorry for the hassle if it was but, how modable will the game be? in terms of map making and unit customization

100% moddable - everything you see the scenarios presented were build with the in-game editor.  We're releasing a video showing off some of the mod capabilities in the next couple of days.

Can rival old ones recruit agents too?

This is a planned addition with the Rival Old Ones - just like Religions added in the element of doing battle for divine aspects we wanted the Old Ones to have a contest of their own.  However, while draining the heavens invokes the wraths of the gods, battling with Old Ones will likely alert the world to your presence.  It is more a case of brinkmanship with the AI - how far can you push them (or they you) before the war becomes overt.   

There is no plan for it to be a victory condition, but a successful covert assimilation of a rival peer will make defeating the Chosen One significantly easier.  On the other hand, if the Chosen One and his cohorts manage to defeat one of you rivals - surely this will benefit them somehow....

So, is the contest thing over? What won?

Event Chain: Second Chances was the winner - an absolutely solid entry and one I'm happy to see created because it rolls into Rival Old Ones.  Most of the entries were very well thought out, and I'm hoping that those people pledged to create their own event because some of them would be fun to create unique effects for. 

Working on the video when I'm done with the dev work I'm doing, ETA 1-2 days on the Video.
That Which Sleeps

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 04, 2014, 02:16:09 pm »

I assume all this stuff will be optional?  I kind of like the idea of lesser beings but a full-on Old One that's your peer in power doesn't really sound like something I want to play with.  I'm the Dark Lord, not a Dark Lord.
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #638 on: October 04, 2014, 03:20:15 pm »

I assume all this stuff will be optional?  I kind of like the idea of lesser beings but a full-on Old One that's your peer in power doesn't really sound like something I want to play with.  I'm the Dark Lord, not a Dark Lord.

All of the stretch goals are optional inclusions to the game.
That Which Sleeps

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 05, 2014, 06:58:58 am »

Someone just backed 1000$. This puts us 60$ short of rival old ones, i think its a safe bet to say we'll hit it in a hour or so.
With 17 days to go still, procedural generation becomes a very real possibility!

(I'm hoping we get every stretch goal and then some, then you can spend the extra money on more art/music which is always nice to have and doesn't make you any extra work.)

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 05, 2014, 08:26:06 am »

First of all, congratulations Devs for reaching Rival Old Ones!

Someone just backed 1000$. This puts us 60$ short of rival old ones, i think its a safe bet to say we'll hit it in a hour or so.
With 17 days to go still, procedural generation becomes a very real possibility!

(I'm hoping we get every stretch goal and then some, then you can spend the extra money on more art/music which is always nice to have and doesn't make you any extra work.)

Yeah, I saw it too and it surprised me. That's a really good thing since at this hour usually there are like 50 bakers whereas today there's only 14.

One thing I'm delighted of aside from the fact that each pledge approximates us to the next stretch goal is that the big pledges actually give us more replayability. As of now, we'll have 17 new events (+ the contest one), 9  new guilds/companies/royal families and 1 new agent. :)

I'm wondering, though, where will those new guilds or royal families be placed? Will the current Scenarios have to be expanded or does this mean that sometimes some will appear and sometimes others won't?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 05, 2014, 09:38:04 am »

Also congratulations on becoming a Kickstarter Staff Pick! This is going awesomely well :D

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #642 on: October 05, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »

First of all, congratulations Devs for reaching Rival Old Ones!

Yeah, I saw it too and it surprised me. That's a really good thing since at this hour usually there are like 50 bakers whereas today there's only 14.

One thing I'm delighted of aside from the fact that each pledge approximates us to the next stretch goal is that the big pledges actually give us more replayability. As of now, we'll have 17 new events (+ the contest one), 9  new guilds/companies/royal families and 1 new agent. :)

I'm wondering, though, where will those new guilds or royal families be placed? Will the current Scenarios have to be expanded or does this mean that sometimes some will appear and sometimes others won't?

1k Backer is great, I love it because it really adds to the game with a new Agent. 

The events are available in each playthrough, though depending on how esoteric they are you may not have a chance to see them all the time.  Guilds and Families is more tricky - they will each appear in one of the main scenarios as a major element, but will also be able to dynamically spawn either in a scenario or (if we reach it) through Procedural Generation.

I will be ecstatic if we reach our last stretch goal, at that point the Map can be overhauled and that's really the final major element to bring the aesthetic together.  If we're still going strong after that I would probably begin a public debate amongst the backers about which races to add - our plan prior was to settle that with the Beta Testers and Modders but at this point our expected 4 additional races is probably going to be closer to 6 or 7.

Also congratulations on becoming a Kickstarter Staff Pick! This is going awesomely well :D

Thanks!  Every dollar going in is making this game better and better.
That Which Sleeps

Romanul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 05, 2014, 01:40:29 pm »

I don't know about that. The game is good as far as graphics are concerned. They could just save the money, after all it's better to have some cash in case expenses go out of hand. Or they could add more content to the game. As said above adding races is a good choice or making nations more complex (economy, trade etc).

Yeah, i think the funding will start to slow quite a lot.

That's one more reason that I like in-game backer rewards as opposed to physical ones. Not only that you save money, which the game critically needs, but we all get to enjoy the content added to game.

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 05, 2014, 02:04:22 pm »

I don't know about that. The game is good as far as graphics are concerned. They could just save the money, after all it's better to have some cash in case expenses go out of hand. Or they could add more content to the game. As said above adding races is a good choice or making nations more complex (economy, trade etc).

Well i said that they could spend it on art/music because iirc KDG said something like they'd only consider, for now, stretch goals for more art after procedural generation because they would not delay the game further.

Ah, found the quote "After 53k?  The only thing I would consider adding is more art tiers, because they would involve no work on our end simply contracting.  I would love to add Voiceovers to the Agents and Heroes but there's just so much involved in that process, the budget isn't even the major constraint.  "
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 210