Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Mordheim - City of the Damned. Team-based looting and murder simulator.  (Read 58455 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned on PC. Murder and pillage on Steam EA now.
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2015, 05:39:14 pm »

I got gifted this for Christmas, and I declare it....

Good, and promising!

Despite the video game reworks, I'd call this a highly faithful adaptation of the table top that manages to add to gameplay in significant ways. If you like tabletop and the XCOM-esqe glam cam doesn't put you off, this will be a must get if it's developed well from here on out.

It has the barest of features right now, just very basic (read as out swapping weapons and armor) warband management, and a no-persistence skirmish mode.

But there is so much on the UI marked as coming soon, it implies the game that it will become, and that game will be awesome.

What's great:

First off, it's very Warhammer Fantasy. Perhaps a little bit too brown/grey, but everything has the right look. Models are almost without exception ugly in a good way, and they're quite detailed. The Skaven look almost just right IMO.

The maps are HUGE, detailed both in terms of geometry and flavor and ambiance. They really nailed the playground atmosphere of a table table layout.

The whole "real-time yadda yadda", at least for now, is meaningless. You move your guys around to execute turn actions and can finalize and confirm everything, go back on movement, ect... When there's a round timer in, maybe it will make more of a difference, but right now you can safely call this a turn-based game.

Mechanically, it has translated the table top game in a satisfying way. Guys have HP now instead of wounds, when they hit 0 they are out of action and will, like the table top, make a wound roll after the game is over, affected by various debuffs and buffs they picked up during the game. There are Strategy Points for movement (including climbing and jumping down, I don't know about across yet. You can fail and hurt yourself and it happens fairly often due to armor weight and a lot of calculated factors.) and Action Points for melee and ranged attacks and skills. There's various stances for dodging, parrying, overwatch for ranged, counter-attack overwatch for melee (the way they adapted the charge interruption from the table top), delaying that fighter's turn. You can switch weapons, cast spells, use skills or inventory items, scan your surroundings for hidden traps and enemies, search a point of interest for loot, charge into combat from a long distance for a to-hit penalty but a bonus to damage, disengaging from combat, fleeing from combat....there is sort of a dizzying array of actions available for each turn based on where you and are how many SP/AP you have, because they incorporated most if not all aspects of the table top.

When you're controlling a guy on your turn, you're move him around with a 3rd person perspective using the wasd and arrow keys, and the mouse. There's no grid. Instead it's all done through AP/SP, interaction points for climbing and stuff, and "zones of control". Your guys project a zone of control that you can't be standing in to end your turn or take action in. The model also physically blocks movement. Enemies project a zone which automatically puts you in combat wit them if you cross into it, and you can't move through it. It pretty accurately models table top movement and as such...can get a little messy. It allows you to attack 6 to 8 guys on a target though, if you've got the space to manuever.

All confirmation and canceling is done with LMB/RMB, with other short cuts being on the left of the keyboard. (Your information overlay toggles, your overhead map view, ect... )The overhead map view goes a long way toward explaining the battle field (which can be hard to wrap your head around just from the perspectives of your warband, and there's a ton of things you can't see from their perspective.) The overhead map will also show you markers for your team and visible enemies and known points of interest like the warband cart and lootables. The last known point of a now unseen opponent also shows. When enemy fighters are taking their turn, you typically are left staring over the shoulder of your last active guy UNTIL the enemy can be seen by one of your own. Then the camera follows their movement. You can browse the overhead map while your enemy is moving. It can sometimes be confusing whether you're waiting on an enemy turn or not.

Warband members have many stats, some from the table top, some new. Agility, Strength, Toughness, Initiative, Intelligence, Awareness, 4 resist stats, and some other things too. They're broken up into some of the classes from the table top. (So for Skaven, Assassin Adept for your leader, Eshin Sorcerer, Night Runners, Black Skaven, Verminkin, Warp Guard, Rat Ogre for your heavy.) Some of them I recognize, some I don't, but there seems to be more variety than in the table top. They can learn passive and active abilities but so far I see a lot of ones made just for the video game. You can equip fighters with two sets of weapons, and there's a reasonable number to choose from to start with, some capturing the spirit of the table top rules, and many with effects yet to be implemented. You can equip a couple different kinds of armor with some obvious penalties but the explanation on the benefits is a little murky. There's tons of slots for other stuff, none of which are available right now.

Teams have a morale pool that every fighter contributes to. It is chipped away by critical hits, failed fear and terror tests and fighters who go out of action. At what point bottle tests are forced is unclear but eventually it happens and your still active team withdraws with what they have immediately.

The game really needs tool tips but their explanation for the mechanics and ability and actions is there, it's just nested a few menus deep and is a little clunky to get to. The mouse cursor rarely comes into play, almost everything is done through the keyboard and, based on how the UI acts, I don't think that will change. More on this below.

What's not so great:

Level load times on a non-SSD hard drive are noticeably long.

Performance at "Good" is fairly stuttery on my aging mid-spec machine. At a couple points I thought it might crash but it hasn't yet. It's probably got a memory leak.

The whole control schema screams console game, yet I don't see mention of it being developed for consoles. My guess is they plan to make it easily portable to them at some point, and it really shows in how the game handles.

The fixed camera angles are often quite poor. Combined with the visuals and the fact the game cues on visible enemy movement, it often becomes hard to see what's going on or notice important details like damage numbers, effects, what you're actually looking at, ect... The overhead map is the best way to get information because the view from your fighters is limited. But it can't be zoomed or rotated or tilted. Only scrolled. So even then you can struggle to figure out what you're looking at. While I like the visuals for their aesthetic goals, it does make for a very busy and hard to read game.

The UI, while it's got a lot of the information you need, is poorly layed out, and game does not do a good job of communicating what's happening. Two text boxes show up near the top of the screen on either side, one for the action being taken, one for the outcome. (Damage numbers appear over the head of the actor taking them.) Whether it's the camera screwing up the angle, lag and stuttering messing up the transitions between the action, or just visual overkill, knowing what just happened is sometimes difficult. Text information is kinda crammed into sections of the screen. At first during the tutorials the UI seems minimal and lacking. By the time you show everything it has, it seems cramped and in a very template state. The transitions between unknown enemy movement and viewed enemy movement don't feel right, or smooth. The game just kind of awkwardly throws the camera around so you're like "Where the fuck is this?" So while mechanically the action is good, visually it's pretty messy.

The sound effects are not that great, and the visuals for things like spell effects, stances, buffs, debuffs, are kinda weak.

What's coming:

There'll be neutral AI daemons and looters on the map (that will attack under different circumstances.) You'll be able to loot randomly spawned wyrdstone from the map and carry it back to your "team wagon" to drop off. You can raid the other team's wagon if you reach it to steal what they've accumulated. You'll be able to loot "out of action" opponents if you can manage it before they drag themselves off the map. (Although they'll leave behind all their loot and stuff anyways....?) There'll be traps on the map, both warband-placed and environmental.

There'll be shrines for each faction in the map they can pray to for buffs, and that can be stolen by the enemy.

There'll be all sorts of perks to the winner of a skirmish, and even better rewards if the victory is decisive. There'll be an exploration roll, although whether that's a possible minievent like the old game or just more loot is unclear.

There'll be a market to buy gear from with what looks like gold, an enchanter to enchant that gear, a way to request "shipments" from your faction home base I guess? Or maybe that's what you do with wyrdstone. There's also a "smuggler's den" which looks like you spend wyrdstone at. There'll be a singleplayer campaign coming as well. It's unclear whether we'll be able to rename our warband and its members. Right now my Skaven warband is the "Murderous Murderers of the Murderlord."

There'll be scenarios and objectives to complete that award experience on top of combat and everything else.

Finally, player progression and all the gear and skills and spells and such, along with the other warbands.

So, all in all, it handles very much like an early access game but it's doing many things right, and feels like it's really doing the table top justice. It has a lot of work to do though, a lot. So I'm excited to see what its future shapes up like. It's not worth getting yet unless you're obsessed with Mordheim but it definitely will be eventually.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:41:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like so far so good.

Re: Console port
They're certainly leaving the door open for a port, as per this dev post from November:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/276810/discussions/1/617319461072495011/#c617319461073535684
Right now the game has been announced for PC only, but we are definitely looking into potential release for consoles (no Android or Ipad).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

It definitely has a console feel to it, especially the QE action cycling which is really cumbersome and weird on a game like this.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was probably my least favorite part of the control scheme. Maybe if you're a WASD gamer it's not so bad, but for me it's a huge pain. Your mouse wheel would have been PERFECT for scrolling through choices. I also don't like that LMB/RMB dominate all the confirm/deny actions.

There is absolutely no setting menu other than volume controls right now, so hopefully remapping inputs to some degree is planned.

Also, I didn't mention this earlier but, your "Heavies" are fucking terrifying. They hit for up to 50% of your average starting dude's life. They're immune to most psychology. Never tire from their attacks. They can attack three times a turn. They come with a possible counterattack by default. They're enough to kill most line fighters in two hits and move on to someone else.

That and crits. OMG crits. They are the great equalizer in this game. Not ONLY do they do extra damage, not ONLY do they reduce your warband's morale, not ONLY do they increase the chances of a negative effect on the after action wound roll, which each crit modifier STACKS with the last.......but the coup de grace is, each crit you take both reduces your chances to hit and dodge/parry for the rest of the game.

Sure, most heavies has some sort of downside like stupidity, but they seem far and away more powerful than both Mordheim or other table top games that feature them (like Bloodbowl.) They seem to be fulcrum on which a lot of fights will hinge, because they can easily tear apart defensive lines and groups of fighters.

In the tutorial, you get a Sister of Sigmar champion that is an absolute brick shithouse. More HP than a Rat Ogre, hits as hard as one. My first round against a Rat Ogre, I do massive damage and avoid their counter attack.

The Rat Ogre's first round against me? Two crits back to back, and another one next turn. My awesome hero character was effectively crippled from there on out at -60% hit/dodge chance, and the Rat Ogre squished her. So, maybe crits are their plan for preventing super characters from just having run of the battlefield. But they're the kiss of death for everyone from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:04:31 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The game's 33% off until Friday in case some of you feel like paying for the privilege.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Cult of the Possessed is also now a playable warband, there's objectives in Skirmish mode to work toward instead of total annihilation and there's "extended warband management" which sounds like the meat of the game but apparently is just deciding who is going to go on the mission?

IMO, this game is worth buying when guys can gain experience, level up and learn new skills. Basically, when persistence is in. Which seems like it's a ways out yet.

Noodled around in it a bit. There's warpstone to collect now as part of the game objectives, which by extension means, searchable objectives and the searching there of is now in. Skills are there in that you can see which one a character has, but that's it. No progression screen unlocked.

Hopefully now that the Possessed are in, they can get to the meat of the game in the next few updates.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:54:26 pm by nenjin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned on PC. Phase 3: Cult of the Possessed is in.
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:51 pm »

My main issue remains the ridiculous third-person camera that makes it impossible to tell what's going on.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned on PC. Phase 3: Cult of the Possessed is in.
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2015, 06:33:37 pm »

My main issue remains the ridiculous third-person camera that makes it impossible to tell what's going on.

That's the point. They kinda want you to only know what you can see from a guy's perspective, emphasizing the gnarly level design's impact on your awareness. (Unfortunately, despite how nice it looks, it has a "samey" problem with most of the textures and stuff.)

There's an overhead strategic map that shows your positions, last known enemy positions, wagon positions, objectives and stuff. Goes a long way toward making sense of the sprawl.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned on PC. Phase 3, Update 3. OP Warbands.
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2015, 05:47:46 pm »

Update 3 for Phase 3 is here. You can now play max rank warbands and play around and customize most of the potential skills they can use.

Patch Notes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lots of "Known Issues." I've been shying away from the game as it's clearly in the "throw shit in there and balance/fix it it as we go" phase of development, which doesn't make for very entertaining 1-off battles against the AI. But the game still appears to be chugging away in development, and I eagerly await leveling and customizing a warband, and the campaign. That's basically all I need to start going all in on playing the game.

----

Some observations from the game itself, some ranting:

I'm....not entirely thrilled by the way skills look to be shaping up for two reasons. First off, generally speaking, the developers seem to have gone to the school of "make all skills increase % chance of success or damage or damage absorption or crit damage or crit chance....while doing every day normal stuff." The other variety of abilities seem to play off the Strategic/Offense point system, where some abilities give you points back or steal them from your enemy. So the passives on display right now are pretty boring, and predictable. And sadly, the active skills are of the exact same variety. Either they're the same as other standard attacks just with higher % chances, or they're trade off abilities, where you do something (completely common) at a better % but take a trade off penalty somewhere. There are a couple active skills that are just plain advantageous, which to my eye seems like a poor decision. I remember a lot of Mordheim skills from the table top let you either ignore some rules altogether, give you re-rolls or let you do something unique within the ruleset. They were advantages you craved in the context of the game. Here, they just fiddle with the numbers (10% here, 5% there. BORING.) That's my first issue, which plays directly into my second....

You will pick and choose which skills to buy. Unlike other persistent table top GWS games like Mordheim and Bloodbowl and Necromunda, where you get skills at random based on the type of skills your race gravitates toward, here you get skill points to spend seemingly where you want. Which immediately puts me into "find which abilities are clearly winners and which ones are not" mode. At least in the table top games, you rolled with what you got, that's how you ended up with unique characters in your warband/team/gang. That's GWS idea of fairness. Having a real bruiser in your warband was a matter of luck and keeping them alive, not simply building the best guy you could with a points-spread system. And I think it worked because it kept even leveling your warband unpredictable, always tempting you with that next skill or stat gain that potentially was exactly what you wanted. Here, you can make a clone army of guys with identical stats, skills and gear if you want, or it that's what turns out to be most effective.

The way it works in City of the Damned is you have three attribute groups, Physical/Mental/Martial. Each attribute group has 3 stats under them, which also correspond to the skill groups (so there's Strength Skill Group, Agility Skill Group, Intelligence Skill Group, etc...each with different Passive and Active Skills.) As you level you get points to spend in each attribute group among the stats (boosting stuff like your regular melee damage, accuracy, HP, dodge and parry chance, etc..), up to your racial maximums. Each skill in each skill group has an attribute requirement (Strength skills have strength requirements, etc..) Skills take time to learn (or will when that functionality is in) and it seems like if you have learned a skill and have a high enough attribute for it, you attain "Mastery", which bumps the bonus the active or passive skill provides by a large margin. Mastery has a higher stat requirement than just the introductory skill.

Note, there is a skill group for purely racial skills, which seem to be the only interesting skills in the game. Sadly, these are the smallest skill groups of them all.

So in place of randomness, they seem to have substituted experience grind and point spending. As I scrolled through the 60 some odd abilities available to choose from, I was struck by how the number is bloated because they have a skill for each aspect of the game. You have the passive skills that makes your charges/ambushes/parry/dodge/climb/shoot actions better, so that necessitates 1 to 2 skills each to cover the range of moves, actions and stances you can do. You have a couple skills that feel out screwing with Strategic and Offense Points, melee and ranged damage...And then you have the active skills which by and large seemed to just be improved versions of the actions everyone can take already.  Skills, active or passive, seem all about customizing your dudes around the core gameplay mechanics (melee vs. ranged/the various stances and attack moves.)

They REALLY want you to specialize your warband into different roles (I base this on a) how high the attribute score thresholds are to get mastery and b) how much better the mastered skills are vs. the introductory ones, it's like 2x to 3x higher bonus. This is seemingly not a game that will favor generalists.) Skills don't seem to let you to do unique or unusual things, it's all playing with percentages, which I find terminally boring. Just screwing around I have made my Skaven Assassin have like a 70 or 80 dodge rate before attack modifiers and enemies doing things came into play.

I always thought table top Mordheim's biggest problem was the complexity of the rule set at the table, with all these specific abilities that did specific things, and how it would be nice if a computer was keeping track of all that shit. It worked very well in Bloodbowl. What the developers of City of the Damned seemed to have come away with, is the idea that "wouldn't it be cool if we throw 100,000 modifiers at each action in game, and let the computer sort out all the math? Won't that make for some fun customization?!" I suppose after you've climbed the mountain of building your warband, it might be nice to look down from the top at weaker warbands and squash them. But it doesn't seem like an especially interesting trip to the top. There will be few surprises, and a great deal of min/maxing.

I guess it depends on what kind of gamer you are. Maybe a streamlined game where most of the thinking goes into building up the best averages for a guy to do a very specific thing works for some people long-term. Personally, that's not the kind of game play that keeps me hooked. If gameplay doesn't really evolve, just specializes, I tend to get bored when I've seen enough. I'm not compelled to keep playing so my one dude has a 100% chance to hit another dude when ambushing. Chasing a % chance of success is a pretty weak motivator for me. For comparison, look at X-COM. Skills you get from leveling your dudes in that game ADD to gameplay, they don't just tweak it. The explosive rockets, the smoke grenades, the ganja grenade, all that jazz. That's stuff to pine for. +10% melee damage at a -5% ranged resistance penalty isn't exactly something to salivate over.

I don't browse their forums much right now, but I expect they're going to take some flak for how they've envisioned skills. Like I said, for a game that lets you pick and choose skills, throwing 98 skills at someone that either have trade offs or play to specialized rolls, and 2 skills that are just flat out better than a normal attack, makes for a very lopsided game. I hope they're open to change on this, or the progression game is gonna kinda suck IMO. I was really excited to see this part of the game fleshed out, but honestly the skill list has just left me feeling bored. I haven't actually played a match and built my own team, and perhaps the way you level or the pacing or the effectiveness of your characters with these skills, or doing it in a campaign setting is fun...but it certainly doesn't present that way. I don't really need to play to get a feel for these skills, because there's zero imagination in them. I don't even need to close my eyes to imagine what 10% more damage looks like.

Don't get me wrong. The game mechanically is actually really complex, there's a lot of shit going on, and perhaps I'm a little more butthurt over this than is warranted. But for what is supposed to be the core draw of Mordheim, i.e. your warband and how they grow, it seems very by the numbers and I mean that both figuratively and literally. For a game that's shaping up to be this complex and detailed, I expected better of their skill list. I think the game is really ambitious and it's kind of starting to show in some of the design. Someone wanted an enormous amount of skills but didn't take the time to make sure they were cool. Which given the material the game is drawn from, is kind of ridiculous. I've been on board with how they've translated Mordheim up to this point, but I think they swung and missed on skills and progression.

On the plus side, I will say this: the custom battle options are fairly extensive. Turn timer yes/no, controlling how many "action spheres" you can reneg on (basically, you want the maximum when playing SP. In Multiplayer this controls how much people can run around and scope things out, or whether every move and action is permanent. These toggles are what governs the game feeling "real-time" vs. turn-based.), various choices for time of day, how troops are deployed, what objectives people might have. So I give props there. And the maps continue to be impressive not only in their depth but also in the amount of shit going on. Multi-level, gnarly design, lootables, neutral-yet-hostile NPCs, hidden (and not so hidden) environmental hazards galore, teleporters, all sorts of stuff. It makes X-COM's maps look down right basic in almost every aspect, including geometry and how precise things are (X-COM is a grid, essentially. This game is almost a FPS when it comes to the geometry.) Also loading times are way, way down so they've done some good optimizations there, for high end machines at any rate. So the game is really sweet in some places, sort of disappointing in others. But given this is EA, lots can still change.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:43:35 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quite a few updates since I last posted.

The long and short of it is, the game is more or less where it was a few updates ago. This isn't to say they haven't been doing anything; on the contrary, this is an enormously complex game so there's a lot of "back fill" work to be done on it.

Spoiler: Patch notes for v7 (click to show/hide)

But there aren't many keynote differences from several versions ago. There is still only non-persistent skirmish mode and warband management. You can build your own warband from the ground up now, and make your guys max level (and only max level) so you can raise their stats and load them up with skills and passives. I must have spent two hours just configuring a warband and reading all the stats and skills. There is just a ton of *stuff* to the game mechanically, it's easily one of the crunchiest I've seen in a while. There's also a decent number of model skins and color options to pick from now.

The biggest difference that struck me was that itemization is really coming to the fore. There is a full selection of gear to choose from, including magical and special gear that is handed out at random to guys you hire. It promises the very familiar blue --> purple --> orange rarity system of Diablo/Wow, meaning there will be no shortage of special gear to find and equip. Some of it seems like obvious escalation because magical or epic versions of normal gear are just "better." Gear can have a higher quality level (blue/purple) which makes the item stats just better. Then it can also have a slot for a rune or mark, allowing you to add additional bonuses. It seems a bit grindy to me, but it remains to be seen how rare it all is and how it plays out in the campaign and online (for testing purposes you get x99 of all items in their basic, epic state.)

In addition to that there's now a pretty big list of consumables to equip to your guys. Poultices and potions for healing, brew for courage, bombs, and an assortment of concoctions that grant buffs as well as side effects. There's also "tomes" you can let warband members read that increase stats, grant skill points, increase their maximum stat thresholds and so forth. Looting in game now seems to work as expected too, so you can take stuff from your fallen opponents to fill your empty inventory slots (the number of which is derived from the fighter's stats.)

There's a few more tweaks to the camera and UI to make it more user-friendly. (It's still not super friendly :( ) They freed up the camera during the "action-taking" segment of a character's turn and during the animation. So you can rotate the camera side-to-side or pitch it if it's in a wall. Even that simple change has done a good deal to make the game feel more flexible and gives you a better sense of where you are. The overhead map has better icons and highlighting now too, so it's easier to see the bigger picture. There's actually some cool things being done with the camera. One Skaven spell I used shoots as a beam effect. And when I chose it, the camera went to over the caster's shoulder and then let me rotate it to target stuff. The game is making use of camera perspective in ways I've rarely seen done but have interesting repercussions for targeting and atmosphere. I dunno, something about aiming that spell while trying to avoid my own guy, from the model's perspective, gave me an instant flashback to playing table top.

The flow of how you're notified about stuff still feels off. It's easy to miss success/failure messages because you're paying attention to the animation instead of looking at the corners of the screen. The event log doesn't capture a lot of what happens either. And occasionally something dramatic will happen and you still don't know why. Like at the start of one of my rat's turns he up and fled combat. I assume he failed an all-alone test, or someone used an ability on him, or something. It just wasn't clear what had just happened.

Levels continue to be amazing, like a table top set piece. There's at least 10 or so, some of which are variations on the same theme (like a district) while others are completely unique. It's hard to say what's procedural or not about them other than Wyrd Stone and trap placement, because there's just so much of the map and you rarely play on more than a fraction of it. In my last game the enemy split in two as I did around a large noble's house with its own courtyard. 4 turns later my ambushing (and the AI's ineptitude) lost them enough fighters to fail their bottle test and rout. I barely used 50% of the map, if that, because the enemy bailed so soon. Then again, there are various deployment methods per map, and this was the classic "two teams start at their wagon." There are many other deployment scenarios (which doubtlessly will be used in the campaign) that will result in more map coverage.

Speaking of the AI, it's not too hot. There's two sides to this. One, even when you rank up your warband to max, the AI doesn't seem to fully build its out, resulting in a weaker opponent. (My WB was ranked 2,700 while their's was 1700.) For two, it makes both tactical and strategic blunders with some regularity. Tactically, it will do dumb things like waste a turn climbing a wall to get to one of your guys...then jump back down. Then maybe climb again. Or it will run its guys through a patch of hazards (like a patch of burning oil you threw on the ground) like it doesn't even see it. I basically killed three Sisters of Sigmar with a patch of sticky goo and a patch of burning oil, because I threw it in front of them and they'd charge and retreat right through it. Strategically it's not really up to snuff either. Sometimes it feels like its units don't support each other. It will happily charge one into combat with 3 of your guys, while the other two, who were seeming to support it, spend their time climbing walls or some shit. I can forgive the AI because it's a challenging environment to navigate...but part of me worries that the SP will suffer due to the AI because this game is definitely geared toward MP.

In terms of how well I think everything is gelling mechanically, I think it's starting to come together. There is still a bewildering amount of skills and passives and values to look at. But leveling up your dudes sort of forces you to confront all of it and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Specialization seems to be the name of the game here. There's a lot of active skills you can give a guy, but they're all competing for a limited number of Offensive and Strategic Points per turn. So it doesn't necessarily make sense to load a guy up with a lot of situational skills, and instead of focus on active and passive skills that funnel to one or two kinds of actions. Because almost every kind of action (moving, jumping, climbing, jumping down, attacking, counterattacking, shooting, spellcasting, searching, perceiving, getting hit, avoiding getting hit, morale tests, resistance tests, five or more kinds of stances) has an associated skill or ability to improve it, it's easy to be overwhelmed. That said, flexibility can help because there will be scenarios where a fighter can only rely on themselves and/or may be outnumbered. A slow moving tank may be great in a pitched battle between two halves of different warbands. But surrounded and outnumbered by archers their toughness may not save them where fleetness of foot might. All THAT said, I think there's a lot of potential to create some varied fighters for your warband (and not just simply "ranged guy, melee guy, tank guy, spell caster.") With the right set of skills and equipment, you can make a character designed to scout, or scoop up wyrdstone ASAP, a support buffer/debuffer type, a fast moving melee assassin with ranged backup, a slow moving wrecking ball of a tank that can switch to strong two-handed weapon damage and has a devastating attack ability, and so on.

A note on skills: they've seemed to have gotten a rework. There still a somewhat flavorless "increase chance of blah", but many of them are now straight advantages, instead of trade offs. Which makes it a little easier to envision a fun way to build a guy. Skills had my attention enough this time, I actually took the time to read them all, set up my warband and play a game. Which is more than I could make myself do last time. The game is still complex, it just feels like less pointlessly complex than before.

And when I say complex, I don't mean like, DF complex. There are just a lot of inputs from everything: skills, equipment, buffs, debuffs, all stacked on top of the normal stat calculations, lots of stuff is situational and you have 9+ members of your warband to pay attention to. This doesn't mean you're perfectly informed though. And the lack of keyboard cheat sheet during the match can and will leave you going "how do I see the break down of X or Y" or "how do I see all the stuff affecting my character right now?" that leads to a lot of fumbling on keys to bring up the appropriate overlays. It continues to leave the game feeling kind of cludgy, although it's improved since the last few updates. The method of input still feels like's made for a controller, and between that, not being able to rebind keys and not having the keyboard control scheme accessible, it's still kind of an awkward game to play.

---

All in all the devs are making progress, constantly refining this behemoth of a game. Sometimes I step back and am still surprised how much they're pulling together, from the full 3d rendered environments, to the camera work and logic, to the reams of abilities and skills and equipment (that still need some balance done) to the gnarly maps, to the side stuff like traps and neutral monsters and the whole procedural generation thing. It's got the normal TBS challenges with several FPS considerations and complexities added in. This is the kind of project that I think could crush a dev house, and while the game does have its glaring issues, it's coming along. Part of me wishes I hadn't seen it in early access because it's diminished newer features to me somewhat. EA can make a game look creakier because you've seen it weaker points in its development. But I think once everything is said and done, it will be something to behold. One telling part I think will be the single player campaign. If it delivers with a polished, professional-looking campaign to draw people in, I think it will do very well. (Assuming it doesn't have the EA curse of no one giving a shit when it finally is released.) Part of me suspects and worries though that the SP campaign is going to be bare bones by today's standards (i.e. it's just a framework of AI skirmishes tied together with some screens and there's no cutscenes or voice work or what have you to flesh it out.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:26:41 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Double (or triple I guess...) post. But I thought I'd add some images to explain what I've been rambling about for so long.

Spoiler: Click for full size (click to show/hide)

By the end of battle, 4 of 9 enemies including their leader were OOA, and just my one Verminkin in bad shape.

I'm starting to warm up to the game.  It's not exceptionally difficult right now, but it is fun. It will be a lot more fun when persistence is in, and things like looting enemies and map treasures, wyrdstone hunting, experience and MVP rewards are a thing. Combat when you've got your whole warband there tends to be short and brutal but pretty straightforward. I think the game will shine when the other tactical considerations have meaning because of persistence. That's now the only thing I'm waiting on to get into this for real.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:03:33 am by nenjin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Oh man, this looks awesome enough as-is.
Should be great once it's more fleshed out.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Yeah, I'm a sucker for meta-games and levelling up your teams. Like in Blood Bowl. It seems like the general gameplay for this is turning out to be fairly solid, so now I'm gonna sit and wait for the meta-game and warband building to come :D

Thanks for taking time to write these up, nenjin!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're welcome!

I decided to do one more before I set this aside until another update comes through.

Incidentally, the game does have rebindable keys now (not sure when that went in) in the options menu. There's not a lot of them, but there's minimal controls for mouse speed and such too. Between that and the camera changes, input is way less obnoxious than it used to be.

So the match.

The Noxious Tails (Skaven Master Race) (9 fighters) vs. The Hammerkeepers (Sisters of Sigmar) (7 fighters)
Map: Noble District 2
Time of Day: Day
Deployment: Horrors of Mordheim (Your warband is scattered after a terrible apparation appears, and before you can regroup a rival warband sends out patrols to hunt you down.)

The first bit will be told mostly through overhead shots.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

An easy match, but they were outnumbered, outleveled and the AI played them like as individuals. The deployment type does underscore the point though that you will get unfavorable deployments all the time. It could have just as easily been my Rat Ogre, going Stupid half the time with no back up, caught out there and left to the tender mercies of 1 vs. 3 Sisters of Sigmar. I doubt even he could have withstood the pounding they'd deal out, especially with their leader there.

What was always clear to me in Mordheim table top and is made clear to me here....two people fighting against one is a lot more dependable than 1v1. I'm a broken record on this by now, but, having the bulk of your rewards come from things other than combat is really going to shake up the equation, and put it more in the AIs favor (that of individuals running around like morons and getting ambushed by some other moron running around alone.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:10:09 am by nenjin »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

While I know that this is nothing like TT, do Skaven still have similar balance problems that you've noticed? More heroes for weirdstone find rolls, super cheap missile weapons and troops to go with them, reasonable initiative for jumps and spotting, and still with the chance of uber heroes/big guys, with no real downsides?

Skaven used to be powerhouses in TT. Does it feel like they're overly competitive in computer game format too?

It might be hard to tell with the current "maxxed warband" testing setup, as everyone will be pretty good, but it may also be even more noticeable.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:29:51 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20