Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [PROJECT:1:THUMB_FARMING_BLACK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:USER]  (Read 4713 times)

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Simple: A basic farming overhaul built for use in YOUR mod or vanilla if you lazy  :P. A tool that was useful for me and I hope will also be useful for you, fashioned for easy integration with other peoples stuff  :). The idea with most changes is plant->use OR plant->replant, default in vanilla is for the most part both  :-\.

Changes files :
plants_standard.txt
entity_default.txt

but any other changes should be ok unless you guessed the same reaction names that I used (unlikely).

I would GREATLY appreciate any feedback, input etc.

8) [LOAD_DOWN] 8)

[ABOUT] ::)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[CORE_CHANGES] :o

[DIFFICULTY_BLACK] :-X

[DIFFICULTY_BROWN] 8)

[DIFFICULTY_GREEN] :-\

[PROJECT_POSSIBLE:VARIABLEMODE] :o

Special thanks to Quietust , Hugo_The_Dwarf , GavJ , and Meph for helping me with problems I had making this mod/encouragement, if I forgot you helping me etc. feel free to be upset with me about it  :'(  :P  :-[

p.s. please steal me in your mods  :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:06:10 pm by YAHG »

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [PRODUCT:1:THUMB_FARMING_BLACK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:USER]
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:49:43 pm »

update:8-20-2014: Forgot to disable duplicate entity file

update:8-23-2014: 40.09 update and fixed missing folder  :P

update:8-26-2014: 40.10 update and fixed Errors in Sweet Pods / seeds causing them not to be brewable (use "brew sugar"-Still to brew the seeds)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:58:20 pm by YAHG »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [PROJECT:1:THUMB_FARMING_BLACK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:USER]
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:15:53 pm »

Aside from the lower seed yields which make farming in general more difficult, it looks like a lot of the challenge here comes from lower brewing yields.  This raises the total "plant consumption" for both food and drink from 2.8 per season to 7 per season (or even 12 with black), but alcohol shortages aren't inherently fatal.  So long as there is water to drink, dwarves can survive on just the basic 2 food per season, partially negating the challenge.

Still, it's certainly better than the current farming system!  The ability to convert crops to seeds at will will certainly reduce the hassle of waiting for a dwarf to get hungry or a brewer to finally choose the right plant to brew.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:53:50 am »

First of all thanks for checking it out, one of the biggest changes is that with the "plant consumption" is that in vanilla you are able to get back all of your seeds while at least on the harder difficulty you do not get seeds back for most uses of plants (quarry bush strawberries and dyes). Not being able to get seeds back after using the plants to provide for your dwarves DRASTICALLY changes the way you as a player manage your food stocks, you have to plan in advance..

How many of these can we eat?

How many of these can we brew?

How many do we have to process directally to seed in order to have a crop next year or next plantable season?

Do we even have the labor to get those saved seeds back into the ground fast enough to get a 2nd or a 3rd yearly harvest?

How skilled is our labor (will we need to plant higher plot counts in order to make up for lower yield per seed invested)?

Will we use fertilizer (again a decent amount of labor depending on your skill levels) to boost ourselves (this can be a LOT of wood going into this as your population expands, and trees aren't usually in the safest of places depending on your embarks)?

^^Are we under siege?

How do we expect our population to change in the future (do we need to ramp up our gross stock of seeds in order to provide the increased throughput a larger population will require)?

You can get all of these sorts of playing as you go game-play questions by removing the positive feed back loop of (plant-BREW/EAT->seed->plant), and making it use or plant. :) I find that it makes farming engaging to play in a way that it wasn't really before, once you understood how to work the game menus and set up a farming plot :P...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 03:01:03 pm »

About variable mode: Rubble would make that trivial :)

Code: [Select]
{!TEMPLATE;FARMING_MODE;hard;med;easy
{@IF;$FARMING_MODE;HARD;
%hard
}{@IF;$FARMING_MODE;MEDIUM;
%med
}{@IF;$FARMING_MODE;EASY;
%easy
}
}
Then anywhere you need to do something mode dependent you would:
Code: [Select]
{FARMING_MODE;mode == hard;mode == medium;mode == easy}
Which would be replaced with, for example, "mode == hard" if $FARMING_MODE was set to HARD.

To set $FARMING_MODE you would have two good choices, either have four addons, one that installs the changes and three that do nothing but set the mode, or you could set the mode explicitly by passing`-config="FARMING_MODE=HARD"` to Rubble when generating.

Rubble users could just drop a zipped version of your mod into their addon directory and be good to go, providing drop in versions for non-Rubble users would be as easy as pregenerating the addon and providing the generated files for download. The only real benefit of this for you would be that you only need to change one file to change all three versions, much less chance of bugs. Of course if you did use Rubble it has some other benefits that would save a lot of time, namely automatic insertion of reaction/building entity permissions, the ability to script repetitive changes, and the whole template system.

Rubble comes with lots of documentation, and I would be happy to help in any way I can (limited only by the fact that I only have 'net access once a week or so)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS