Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Palladium Fantasy RPG (0/5) (Info of how to join without having a book in OP)  (Read 2521 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I recently bought the book and one of the other manuals, Dragons & Gods, from a shop that opened up near my college.  Anyone want to play a game of it?

There are character sheets here

For those without books, if the following is given, I'll fill out everything I can and provide you a list of classes you qualify for.  If you want more information on an area, ask.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Couple of the more interesting things I have seen so far:
Armor and other inanimate objects have their own health that you have to wear through before you can destroy the object, and, in the case of armor, reach the target's health.

Alignment chart is different.  Rather than good-neutral-evil, it is good-selfish-evil, each with subcategories rather than a lawful-neutral-chaotic.  Reason for this is, quoted from the book:
First of all, there is no such thing as an absolute or true neutral.  All people tend toward good, evil, or self-gratification.  An absolute true neutral could not make a decision, go on an adventure, kill, or take any action of any kind without leaning toward good, evil, or self-gratification.  It is humanly impossible and is, therefore, eliminated in the context of the game.
The good alignments are principled (ex. "Boy Scout" that would break laws only if situations are desparate) and scrupulous (ex. Clint Eastwood style hero).  Selfish alignments are Unprincipled (ex. Han Solo) and Anarchist (ex. insurgent, con-man, gambler, and high-roller mix).  Evil alignments are Miscreant (similar to anarchist, but takes it one step further by betraying a friend if it serves needs and taking pleasure from torture and will lie and cheat even if unnecessary), Aberrant (honor among thieves is true for these people), and Diabolic (megalomanics, serial killers, etc.  Interestingly, Aberrants hate these types more than good aligned people)

Random Insanity Table, Random Phobia Table w/ Phobia Panic, Neurosis Table, Psychosis Table, Affective Disorders Table, and Random Obsession Tables.

Rolling for effects of drugs and disposition while intoxicated.

Lots of Mystic Symbols

5 step combat: Determine Initiative through rolls, Attacker Rolls Strike to see if attack hits, Defender may Parry, Dodge, or Entangle to stop the attack (dodging or entangling causes a loss of 1 attack/round, parry only costs 1 attack/round if character has no hand to hand training), Attacker rolls damage, Defender may attempt to roll with Impact/Punch to reduce damage (only with impact style weapons.  Costs 1 attack/round.  Success reduces damage by 1/2).

Reviews of the System:
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_478.phtml
http://www.amazon.com/Palladium-Books-Presents-Fantasy-Role-Playing/product-reviews/0916211916/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:57:26 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Palladium Fantasy RPG (0/5)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:24:17 pm »

-RESERVED-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:57:48 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:09:46 pm »

Do we need the books ourselves?
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:51 pm »

Do we need the books ourselves?

If a person doesn't have one, I'll answer any questions, so they don't have to pirate one.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:12:04 pm »

I may be interested. I don't own the book though. Do you think the game is any good?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 03:30:18 pm »

I may be interested. I don't own the book though. Do you think the game is any good?

I haven't read had a chance to play the game yet, but it seems interesting.

Couple of the more interesting things I have seen so far:
Armor and other inanimate objects have their own health that you have to wear through before you can destroy the object, and, in the case of armor, reach the target's health.

Alignment chart is different.  Rather than good-neutral-evil, it is good-selfish-evil, each with subcategories rather than a lawful-neutral-chaotic.  Reason for this is, quoted from the book:
First of all, there is no such thing as an absolute or true neutral.  All people tend toward good, evil, or self-gratification.  An absolute true neutral could not make a decision, go on an adventure, kill, or take any action of any kind without leaning toward good, evil, or self-gratification.  It is humanly impossible and is, therefore, eliminated in the context of the game.
The good alignments are principled (ex. "Boy Scout" that would break laws only if situations are desparate) and scrupulous (ex. Clint Eastwood style hero).  Selfish alignments are Unprincipled (ex. Han Solo) and Anarchist (ex. insurgent, con-man, gambler, and high-roller mix).  Evil alignments are Miscreant (similar to anarchist, but takes it one step further by betraying a friend if it serves needs and taking pleasure from torture and will lie and cheat even if unnecessary), Aberrant (honor among thieves is true for these people), and Diabolic (megalomanics, serial killers, etc.  Interestingly, Aberrants hate these types more than good aligned people)

Random Insanity Table, Random Phobia Table w/ Phobia Panic, Neurosis Table, Psychosis Table, Affective Disorders Table, and Random Obsession Tables.

Rolling for effects of drugs and disposition while intoxicated.

Lots of Mystic Symbols

5 step combat: Determine Initiative through rolls, Attacker Rolls Strike to see if attack hits, Defender may Parry, Dodge, or Entangle to stop the attack (dodging or entangling causes a loss of 1 attack/round, parry only costs 1 attack/round if character has no hand to hand training), Attacker rolls damage, Defender may attempt to roll with Impact/Punch to reduce damage (only with impact style weapons.  Costs 1 attack/round.  Success reduces damage by 1/2).

Here's a couple reviews:
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_478.phtml
http://www.amazon.com/Palladium-Books-Presents-Fantasy-Role-Playing/product-reviews/0916211916/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:54:47 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 03:37:31 pm »

Fairly interested.
How do you intend to handle Character Creation with people who don't own the book?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 03:46:16 pm »

I've been looking at the character sheets, I'm interested, just overwhelmed by all of the data that's on there to fill.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 04:47:04 pm »

Fairly interested.
How do you intend to handle Character Creation with people who don't own the book?

For those without books, if the following is given, I'll fill out everything I can and provide you a list of classes you qualify for.  If you want more information on an area, ask.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:56:15 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 04:56:42 pm »

Attribute is alignment, right?
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 04:58:53 pm »

Attribute is alignment, right?

Yeah.  Accidentally thought of something else for some reason...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Updated the OP to include more details, including the process of how to join if you don't own the book.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Palladium Fantasy RPG (0/5) (Info of how to join without having a book in OP)
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 02:30:19 am »

Could you describe the system itself a little more? What does it try to simulate?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Palladium Fantasy RPG (0/5) (Info of how to join without having a book in OP)
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:15 am »

Could you describe the system itself a little more? What does it try to simulate?

As I have somewhere to be soon, I'll give the short, summarized version.

A fantasy world RPG a bit more complex than D&D and using a percentile skill system similar to (if I recall correctly) Call of Cthulu.  (Interesting to note, it has something similar to a sanity check against certain enemies that paralyzes you for the first (and only rolled for on the first) round of combat)