Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Retro-Pixel Castles  (Read 8717 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retro-Pixel Castles
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2016, 01:07:10 am »

slowly put your gains back in Limbo to give your next colony a running start?

Ahh the most dreaded Roguelike element that has been slowly introduced into games... The roguelike Treadmill.

Where you have to grind... So you can have a better run another time... but everything you grinded for is immediately lost just by using it.

It is the one reason I won't tough Roguelands with a 10 foot pole...

The only game that had a similar mechanic was Monster Rancher if you wanted optimal monsters.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 08:23:26 am »

Or every "incremental" game ever.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 12:59:39 pm »

And then you see threads like: http://retropixelcastles.com/index.php?/topic/955-my-first-successful-game-is-rpc-too-easy/ and wonder wtf you're missing.

What I want to know is how he had enough influence to actually destroy every spawn as it came up. Was he just not inspiring the land at all? I've tried hunting spawns like this but I always fall behind from lack of influence. Maybe I just have to eyeball the minimap 24-7 so they don't get built up. Fire pit spawn-blocking the entire map sure does sound.. fun?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 03:48:21 pm »

Yeah if it's hacky shit like that people are doing to last a year, then I don't feel bad for failing by Day 6. I'm just not interested in manipulating the AI pathing....because I don't like Tower Defense. I could stand it at least when it's "pay 100 gold to drop an arrow tower down." Resource gathering and crafting and blah blah blah just for the privilege to play outgunned Tower Defense? Be still my beating heart :\
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 10:22:14 pm »

This game was officially renamed "Rise to Ruins" a few patches back. I think it fits better, or at least, has a little more soul.

I found myself in a gaming slump and decided to fire this up again.

Made it to Day 12 this time, no shenanigans.

What's new...well, for one he added another layer of advancement into the game, namely, building quality. Now you can upgrade buildings multiple times to increase their efficiency and allow them more workers. On the downside...the settlement building itself now has quality, and controls how many buildings you can have. So you build 4 buildings, upgrade the settlement building, build 4 buildings, upgrade the settlement center....It's kind of cool in that it changes its appearance as you upgrade it, going from a wooden enclosure to a castle eventually. The materials aren't hard to come by but in a game where time is against you always, it's a super annoying delay that gets introduced when you're really trying to drop down as much stuff as you possibly can early on.

Nomads show up with greater regularity now, based on your available housing. I know they were in earlier editions but I almost never saw them. Now around Day 5 or so, Nomads have to run the gauntlet of the level to reach you and while 10 or so may show up on the map, maybe only a couple will actually reach you.

I had greater success this time primarily because I built arrow towers early on. Before I'd tried to skip them and go straight to Fire Bolt Towers, but they tend to not hold back an entire wave by themselves after Day 7ish or so due to the energy requirements. A few Arrow Towers on the other hand can deal with entire waves for the first few real days.

Growing food is super obnoxious in this build too now. You can't hardly grow anything in summer and nothing in winter. So if you don't throw down a lot of farms right at the outset your dudes will starve by summer's end. You can supplement it with casting Invigorate Land on food spawns on the map, but that becomes increasingly difficult if it's not literally right outside your base. You do have kitchens though which can make food last longer, I suppose, or feed more people per unit and they seem essential to feeding even the default starting # of villagers.

Here's a pic of my village shortly before it was overrun.

My building steps in order. Sprinkled through here are the required village center upgrades you have to do:

-Clear a ton of land as the very first thing
-Build 4 large farms
-Build the Mining Facility
-Build the Woodcutter's Shack
-Build a couple tents
-Build the Stone Cutter's Building
-Build the Lumber Mill
-Build a couple more tents
-Build the Kitchen
-Build the Bowyer's building
-Build the Crystal Harvesting facility
-Build a couple Arrow Towers
-Build a couple Stone Golem spawns
-Build the Crystal Refining Facility
-Build some Fire Bolt Thrower Towers

That seemed to give me a couple days of breathing space, where I could build the Forge, Armorsmith, Toolmaker's Shack and Waymaker's Shack, and any other needs like additional housing or storage or farms. Done this way I had about 200 units of food as I came up on winter.

There is still the part of the game where it seems expected of you to nuke monster spawning grounds that show up on the map, which I find an annoying distraction. After Day 9 or so they start showing up so fast you can't really keep up with them anyways. I also learned this build that "Ancient Radiance Pools" are essentially bad and should be destroyed as soon as they're found, because they attract monsters to them, level them up and gather essence to them (essentially stealing it from you.) A good couple fireballs takes them out.

And unfortunately on Day 11 the monsters hit my west side and smashed up the towers pretty bad, destroying one and damaging the rest. And due to job and build priorities, I couldn't seem to make my guys repair the towers very quickly, or get replacements build. So by Day 12 I had them mostly repaired and a new tower almost finished....then a huge swarm hit my stone golems like a freight rain, ran them over, hit my towers, flattened them all within 20 seconds and then started rampaging through the village. If I had gotten my towers repaired faster and gotten more built before that attack, if I hadn't built so many defenses to cover areas the monsters weren't really attacking that often, I might have lasted a day or two into winter. But I was feeling pretty good about myself until, once again, the game just completely overpowered me and there was nothing left to try or do.

It's an engrossing game for a few hours and I love the music and dem pixels to death. But every time I get done playing this game I feel discouraged instead of eager to play it again. I've hit the end of the game's production chain (ie there are no more buildings to build and you're just scaling up your defenses and/or exporting to Limbo) so I guess I'll wait a few more versions, to see if the fun in this game can actually last. It's a charming little village sim right up until the point where it turns the screws on you. And it turns them fast.

I will say the game feels more playable now than in previous builds. I actually thought I knew what I was doing for a while. So you can enjoy it longer before getting overrun. But it still amounts of the same feeling like you're just not getting it when it's all said and done. I put several hours into this game and that doesn't really jive with the "die and do it all over again" meta it's going for, to me. I still imagine at release, all these buildings that are available by default now are going to have to be unlocked....which sounds like ass to me.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:03:28 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 12:18:43 pm »

Huh, missed this back when it came out. Looks worth watching, at least, to see where it goes. Sounds like it is still being updated, correct nenjin?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 02:08:08 pm »

Huh, missed this back when it came out. Looks worth watching, at least, to see where it goes. Sounds like it is still being updated, correct nenjin?

Yeah, with regularity.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:28:15 pm by nenjin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 07:01:40 pm »

So there's a glitch where steam acts like the games running even after it's been closed. I have to shut down steam with the task manager to be able to play after I've been playing it. I also can't get an automatic refund because I have six hours in game even though I haven't played it for a full ten minutes. Bad first impression.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2017, 07:42:01 pm »

So there's a glitch where steam acts like the games running even after it's been closed. I have to shut down steam with the task manager to be able to play after I've been playing it. I also can't get an automatic refund because I have six hours in game even though I haven't played it for a full ten minutes. Bad first impression.

Not to say that isn't bad, but that's a not-so-uncommon bug with a lot of games on Steam. It usually means there's a process for the game that doesn't fully die when you exit the game, and can usually be fixed by finding that process in your task manager and killing it.

That really sucks though.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2017, 08:15:09 pm »

Wow that's F'd.

You can also just terminate the actual game executable too. Rarely have I ever seen Steam itself screwed up by an EXE, the EXE is usually just sitting there itself.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 08:29:53 pm »

That was the first thing I tried, if there's any process related to the game that keeps running after it closes then I can't find it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 03:43:53 pm »

Just posting to say that the game got a fairly important update this month, IMO.

Custom Mode. I haven't poked at it yet but it sounds like you can tweak the difficulty variables to your liking. Thank god. I think he always wanted a standard mode for people to measure their survival against, but in practice the game appeals to too many different kinds of players for that to work out well. He added Peaceful Mode and Sandbox Mode a while back as a start to addressing it, but honestly I think Custom Mode was needed for the longest time. You don't want zero monsters, and you don't want to play essentially in debug mode, but nor do you like the difficulty set by the dev in normal mode. He also added Nightmare Mode, for the people that are apparently great at the game.

And again, despite the negativity, I really have to give it to Rayvolution. I wonder if he codes this thing while working a full-time job. He puts out consistent updates where I think most devs could have put a bow on this a while ago and moved on to something else. He's still optimizing everything long after putting the game up on Steam, still building out new systems, still adding new content and he hasn't even started on the whole unlock system, which was the big bullet point feature of the Kickstarter. And I ain't even sour about that. Instead he's doubled the amount of content in game it feels like, and optimized the shit out of it. Those are priorities I can get behind.

Pretty rare these days to see this level of output and follow through. Rayvolution seems to be one of those "make a game and stick to it like glue"  devs, and that's damn refreshing in these days of hype where all the effort is up front and you see very little truly happen after release.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:53:31 pm by nenjin »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »

Picked it up since it's on sale right now pretty cheap. Looking forward to trying it out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 11:38:21 pm »

Jumped back into this and yes, custom mode was what I have been missing all my life in this game. I turned down the chance for monster generators to spawn from like 1/2000 to 1/5000 (goes all the way down to 1/20000), reduced monster spawn cap from 450 to 200, made the monsters show up on Day 3 instead of Day 2, and made each season last two days longer.

With that I've managed to survive a full year, 21 days in my game.

It's a nice happy compromise between easy and relaxing and still dangerous enough to need to pay attention. Monster spawners still absolutely pile up, they just take longer to do it, so you can stretch out the easy part of the game a good 10 days and really get some defenses built. Before it was a race to figure out what to build in what order and chances are it wouldn't last you more than 10 days, by then the spawns would catch up with you. With the spawners dialed back, only around Day 10 do they start outstripping you capacity to kill them and the monsters pile up. So you can actually get ahead of the game a little, get some real defenses built and have a jolly good fight before your village is overrun, instead of just watching one day as you go from "manageable" to "completely fucked."

He's added water as a resource in, which you need to make crops grow. Villagers need it to stay hydrated too, and there's more associated buildings and jobs for water processing now.

Couple new "big" spells like Lightning Storm and Earthquake. Fun, if not insanely effective for the cost. But I did use Earthquake to organically seal a mountain pass to my village. If you build walls, monsters see the walls and come knock them down so they're not good choices for blocking off additional entrances to your village. Natural rock? The monsters will just take the more direct route into your towers instead. And while Lightning Storm isn't amazing for the damage it does, the visuals are pretty spectacular. Playing with these spells gave me a strong ActRaiser vibe, and delivers some of that godly power the game has been lacking.

Not sure how long my current village will last, but I've basically got all the buildings built. Now I'm just upgrading them all to stay ahead of population and monster growth, and adding more towers as I can. Really it might be my swelling population that is the doom of the village more than the monsters. There's like 8 more kinds of turrets than the last time I played this, so there's a lot of variety now in defenses and how you layer them.

If there's any part of the game that feels thin at this point, it's the monsters. There's only like 7 or so enemies and they've pretty much been the same ones since the start of the game. Now that custom mode is in and you can meter the challenge a little more, I'm looking forward to more kinds of baddies doing interesting things.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:57:39 am by nenjin »
Pages: 1 2 [3]