Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: DnD3.5 A Cold Beginning [5/5] OOC - waitlisting  (Read 17320 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DnD3.5 A Cold Beginning [0/5] OOC
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:34 am »

Hmm, question: As a knight can Janik be the 3rd son of the lord of the city we are in? It would make sense that the 3rd son of a noble would be an adventurer since he won't inherit anything but what he wins through fame and glory on his own, and meshes well with being a knight.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:46 am »

Hmm, no psychic warrior eh. Let's see. I was kinda in the mood for some RIP AND TEAR. I was intending to take Half-Minotaur template, but now I'm thinking about going feral for claws. With high wisdom I could be a monk, but that wouldn't make a bit of sense really. Also, I would be monk. If you would allow me to swap my wisdom with my constitution I could make a barbarian.

Or I could just drop the whole "RIP AND TEAR" idea and be a regular swordsage.
Actually forget the stat swap thing, I barbarians are tier 4 right? Meaning we get +2 LA. I never screwed around with templates before, but can they stack. Like I can get two +1 LA templates in place of one +2?

If so, could I take Half-Minotaur and feral?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:59:36 am by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2014, 09:52:53 am »

Lawl.

Well anyway.

I just noticed we get free LA's and junk. And warlock is like 4.

Do you mind if just take one of the bloodline traits for that, Giglamesh? Would fit the lore-Warlocks get their powers from somewhere strange...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm <--
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2014, 10:20:04 am »

Uh... what's an LA and why do people want them?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:42 am »

Level Adjustment. It's applied for things like templates and monster races. As a tier 3 class in this campaign you'd get a 'free' LA of 1. Which means that you can use a template or monster race with an LA of up to one.

LA is used to alter the levels, and comes into play more significantly when you get people who want to play very powerful monster races in epic level campaigns.

That said, a LA of 1 shouldn't make too much difference either way.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2014, 10:37:03 am »

Uh... what's an LA and why do people want them?
From what I understand, certain races/creatures have innate traits/features that would make them inherently better than a normal raced version of that class. This applies to templates as well. Level Adjustment exists to reflect this. It's like taking/having a level in a class without it being a class. If I played a LA+1 race like a Hobgoblin,  my first "level" would be Hobgoblin and it would take me as much EXP as a Level 1 character getting to Level 2. A Hobgoblin Fighter1 would have an ECL of 2.

Since D&D 3.PF has about as much balance a fat man riding a seesaw on a make shift raft in the middle of a hurricane, people house-rule that you get a certain amount of Level Adjustment for free based on what tier your class is in. Hopefully, you can use this to put you on par with higher tier classes or at the very least keep you relevant longer.

Templates also increase level adjustment, and templates can have lots of nice things.

Also @Gilgamesh, Are circuses a thing in your setting? Could be relevant to my characters back-story.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2014, 10:44:07 am »

Yeah, but I can't think of a template that fits my character-a Kenku Warlock infused with gobs of goodly energy, but is still mortal.

Half-Celestial is way too strong (imo), but Bloodlines seem about right for me, even if they are weaker.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2014, 10:58:49 am »

Hmm, question: As a knight can Janik be the 3rd son of the lord of the city we are in? It would make sense that the 3rd son of a noble would be an adventurer since he won't inherit anything but what he wins through fame and glory on his own, and meshes well with being a knight.

Ok. 3rd son, 5th child.

Lawl.

Well anyway.

I just noticed we get free LA's and junk. And warlock is like 4.

Do you mind if just take one of the bloodline traits for that, Giglamesh? Would fit the lore-Warlocks get their powers from somewhere strange...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm <--

Ok.

Hmm, no psychic warrior eh. Let's see. I was kinda in the mood for some RIP AND TEAR. I was intending to take Half-Minotaur template, but now I'm thinking about going feral for claws. With high wisdom I could be a monk, but that wouldn't make a bit of sense really. Also, I would be monk. If you would allow me to swap my wisdom with my constitution I could make a barbarian.

Or I could just drop the whole "RIP AND TEAR" idea and be a regular swordsage.
Actually forget the stat swap thing, I barbarians are tier 4 right? Meaning we get +2 LA. I never screwed around with templates before, but can they stack. Like I can get two +1 LA templates in place of one +2?

If so, could I take Half-Minotaur and feral?

Half minotaur yes, feral no.

Circuses are in gentler lands. So in Lakinium, probably only close to the capital. Other kingdoms, sure. A lot of them have stronger governments ( and stronger armies) that keep the peace enough circuses/ performer troupes can travel around.

Also, it's gigla, not gilga. Believe or not, I spelt it this way on purpose... not matter how some people refuse to accept that.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2014, 11:08:01 am »

Thanks. With that, my sheet is pretty much done.

Just waiting on the final decision now... *crosses talons*

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2014, 12:02:22 pm »

I think Klikklak the Paladin is done.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2014, 12:04:44 pm »

Flavor bits finished, so barring anything unobvious I missed, done.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »

Well, I have a new character quirk for if my current character dies and I play a class who is both a half breed and a class with summon monster.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2014, 01:21:27 pm »

A kobold has automatic language = draconic, and bonus languages common and undercommon. If I have an INT14, do I get these three, or these three plus two more?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2014, 02:05:29 pm »

As far as I know, you'd know those two bonus languages. All PCs start speaking common, as well. So I'll let you choose another language as well as having undercommon.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2014, 04:23:13 pm »

Thank you. What language would the Never-King speak? Just common? Wondering if he would speak Celestial due to being a Saint, in which case I might take that just for speaking-to-my-"god" reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15