Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Pokemod  (Read 5293 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemod
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 02:38:49 pm »

They'll be different creatures (thank you, CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION!) mostly because that organization would be easier for me to understand, but also to prevent any weird inheritance issues.
The only snag I'm coming across is figuring out how to make the later evolutions give birth/lay the eggs of the lowest evolutions.
You can change castes with CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION, but whichever works out to be easier.  If non-citizen egg-layers act like citizen egg-layers (zooming to the hatchling immediately at birth), you can use one solution for both live births and eggs: an interaction/syndrome from mother to baby that turns them into the low form and adds a tag that makes them immune to further neonatal changes.  The cost is needing to apply that tag (a permanent SYN_CLASS?) on any individual who evolves during its lifetime.

Is there a specific way to add a SYN_CLASS with an interaction? If so, I could add the class whenever evolution occurs.
The SYN_CLASS is actually part of a syndrome.  You give some innocuous symptom with no END duration and the creature will carry around that syndrome (and its SYN_CLASS) for the rest of its life.  Not sure how syndromes handle transformation... you might need to find some way of applying the syndrome after the evolve transformation.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 04:18:45 pm »

They'll be different creatures (thank you, CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION!) mostly because that organization would be easier for me to understand, but also to prevent any weird inheritance issues.
The only snag I'm coming across is figuring out how to make the later evolutions give birth/lay the eggs of the lowest evolutions.
You can change castes with CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION, but whichever works out to be easier.  If non-citizen egg-layers act like citizen egg-layers (zooming to the hatchling immediately at birth), you can use one solution for both live births and eggs: an interaction/syndrome from mother to baby that turns them into the low form and adds a tag that makes them immune to further neonatal changes.  The cost is needing to apply that tag (a permanent SYN_CLASS?) on any individual who evolves during its lifetime.

Is there a specific way to add a SYN_CLASS with an interaction? If so, I could add the class whenever evolution occurs.
The SYN_CLASS is actually part of a syndrome.  You give some innocuous symptom with no END duration and the creature will carry around that syndrome (and its SYN_CLASS) for the rest of its life.  Not sure how syndromes handle transformation... you might need to find some way of applying the syndrome after the evolve transformation.

Thank you, pretty sure I figured it out :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 04:20:54 pm »

Transformations can only be done during syndromes.

By the way, if you want more than one evolution in a tree, you're going to have to use DFHack. CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION can't be overwritten once its added.

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 04:37:11 pm »

Transformations can only be done during syndromes.

By the way, if you want more than one evolution in a tree, you're going to have to use DFHack. CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION can't be overwritten once its added.

As in, the same creature can't transform twice?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 04:43:09 pm »

A creature that is currently transformed cannot transform again. If the creature untransforms (by having the transformation symptom have an END), they may transform again, but if the transformation does not have an end, they are stuck there. DFHack has a way around that.

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 04:49:37 pm »

A creature that is currently transformed cannot transform again. If the creature untransforms (by having the transformation symptom have an END), they may transform again, but if the transformation does not have an end, they are stuck there. DFHack has a way around that.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 01:01:39 am »

Posting first progress and updating goals this weekend

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 12:02:05 pm »

You might want to check this out.  It's a DFHack class and level system that can probably work very well with evolution and leveling up.

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 01:51:16 am »

You might want to check this out.  It's a DFHack class and level system that can probably work very well with evolution and leveling up.

Thank you a lot :)

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:57 am »

This makes my old dwarvemon mod look hopelessly amateurish. Probably because I'm a hopeless amateur.

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 04:05:03 am »

This makes my old dwarvemon mod look hopelessly amateurish. Probably because I'm a hopeless amateur.
Haha, I haven't posted any progress yet.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 08:05:32 am »

I mean the whole evolution thing, I never even tried and just had them naturally occurring already evolved.

Remember to implement shinies!

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »

I mean the whole evolution thing, I never even tried and just had them naturally occurring already evolved.

Been planning on it ^.^

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 04:47:17 pm »

Been planning on it ^.^
Sweet. Is there a way to increase the odds in the offspring if the parents have that trait?
Pages: 1 2 [3]