Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 69331 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 29
« Reply #705 on: April 04, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »

I'm unsure why Vax would go there, considering she's not a Guild operative (if I recall correctly, with the gun purchase). So maybe I'll have to make a new character to do it.
Unless the Guild were to find out about it, and force her to do their dirty work. She did break the law.

We could say you got into the Guild after becoming famous during the battle on Franz.

The KX9 have the resources to evacuate any planet they fuck up, and they admit to fucking up if they do so, KX9 don't normally lie about fuckups, same as how they tend to brag about successes, they would evacuate quite quickly before nuking the place to shit. (They also wouldn't be doing research for ftl things in a populated system due to the numerous things that could go horribly horribly wrong. Like the entire planet vanishing.)

>The point is that the KX9 didn't do it.

>The planet is already being evacuated, though there's no rush. The KX9 probably don't have the resources, though, if it's a high gravity world with a high population, since you need launch boosters for all that weight, and any space elevators/launch loops are going to be limited in the amount of cargo they can do.

>Nuking the planet won't do anything. That would be a good way to get a coalition against the KX9, but not to stop an outbreak of strange matter, since once the strange matter gets underground the planet is going to be assimilated eventually.

>Also, distances between planets are big. The fact that the KX9 are in the same system is pretty much irrelevant, since the KX9 do not manipulate enough energy to move planets out of their orbits (this is a limitation of the tech in the setting). Oftentimes two major colonies in different systems are closer, transport time-wise, than two planets in the same system thanks to worldgates.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:35:03 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 04, 2015, 02:08:55 pm »

Hm... can I choose what I take? Since Vax would probably grab one of them pirate laser rifles, as she knows how well lasers cut through (her) flesh (the Crocodile incident).
Now that I think of it, I think the loadout she would keep would be: Sleek Pike, Tiberius AK, and Laser Rifle. Though she would definitely keep the power armor and heavy rifle if she can.
In fact, she might store the AK in a private vault, since Bobites tend to keep things they get. They're prone to hoarding.

But how would the relationship with the rest be? With Charlie, Steve, and Alice. And maybe the Lady Computer.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 04, 2015, 03:48:04 pm »

Hm... can I choose what I take? Since Vax would probably grab one of them pirate laser rifles, as she knows how well lasers cut through (her) flesh (the Crocodile incident).
Now that I think of it, I think the loadout she would keep would be: Sleek Pike, Tiberius AK, and Laser Rifle. Though she would definitely keep the power armor and heavy rifle if she can.
In fact, she might store the AK in a private vault, since Bobites tend to keep things they get. They're prone to hoarding.

But how would the relationship with the rest be? With Charlie, Steve, and Alice. And maybe the Lady Computer.

I would probably have to think about that. I'm not too sure about that mission, or this game's format altogether. I kind of have a different idea brewing right now, although most of my ideas never leave my desktop.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 04, 2015, 04:48:18 pm »

Okay, I want some concrete details on the KX9 fleet configuration.

Speed vs. Range.
Big Fleets vs. Many Fleets.
Quality vs. Quantity.
Efficient vs. Indulgent. The more fluffy pillow and dildo factories per ship, the less efficient the fleet is.
They tend to lean towards range for their dronemother/battleships/similar and speed with anything cruiser size or smaller.

They have a number of fleets, normally a group of large coreships, at least one dronemother, and a large swarm of cruiser sized or smaller drones, most dronemothers are self sufficient to the point that they can maintain a civilian population if need be and maintain a fleet's worth of hydroponics. Otherwise the empty space onboard gets filled with inactive drone parts and materials, refineries, and factories for drones/whatever is needed. Quality for the big ships, quantity for the lil ones.

Only Dronemothers that have civilian populations onboard will have indulgent things, and only if those are in noncombat zones. Otherwise it's sheer efficiency.

I'm unsure why Vax would go there, considering she's not a Guild operative (if I recall correctly, with the gun purchase). So maybe I'll have to make a new character to do it.
Unless the Guild were to find out about it, and force her to do their dirty work. She did break the law.

We could say you got into the Guild after becoming famous during the battle on Franz.

The KX9 have the resources to evacuate any planet they fuck up, and they admit to fucking up if they do so, KX9 don't normally lie about fuckups, same as how they tend to brag about successes, they would evacuate quite quickly before nuking the place to shit. (They also wouldn't be doing research for ftl things in a populated system due to the numerous things that could go horribly horribly wrong. Like the entire planet vanishing.)

>The point is that the KX9 didn't do it.

>The planet is already being evacuated, though there's no rush. The KX9 probably don't have the resources, though, if it's a high gravity world with a high population, since you need launch boosters for all that weight, and any space elevators/launch loops are going to be limited in the amount of cargo they can do.

>Nuking the planet won't do anything. That would be a good way to get a coalition against the KX9, but not to stop an outbreak of strange matter, since once the strange matter gets underground the planet is going to be assimilated eventually.

>Also, distances between planets are big. The fact that the KX9 are in the same system is pretty much irrelevant, since the KX9 do not manipulate enough energy to move planets out of their orbits (this is a limitation of the tech in the setting). Oftentimes two major colonies in different systems are closer, transport time-wise, than two planets in the same system thanks to worldgates.

Nuking would destroy the strangified creatures though, correct? Preventing additional ones from forming and therefore locking down the planet to prevent spread to additional celestial bodies?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 04, 2015, 05:20:46 pm »

Nuking would destroy the strangified creatures though, correct? Preventing additional ones from forming and therefore locking down the planet to prevent spread to additional celestial bodies?

Maybe, but not if they burrow down underground. Dead matter is just as good as living matter (if not better), so they'd probably expand via underground tunnels. Maybe if you nuked it right after the strangification began, but you'd cause a lot of casualties that way.

They'd probably be hostile to creatures less to eat them and more because they don't want to be exterminated.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 04, 2015, 05:44:20 pm »

Ah. Well, if the KX9 don't own the planet, they wouldn't be trying their regular eradication strategy.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 04, 2015, 06:09:08 pm »

Ah. Well, if the KX9 don't own the planet, they wouldn't be trying their regular eradication strategy.

You still highlighted some good points. That was just an idea to justify your characters diverting from their original journey.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 04, 2015, 06:41:41 pm »

Nerin/Valrak have several reasons to go into KX9 space before going on another Scoutcore excursion. The TAHG is relatively soon, and Nerin is going to be going into heat in a couple weeks ingame. 49's have plenty of good things going for them, but there are occasional annoying things that aren't very easy to remove without getting rid of the good things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 05, 2015, 12:44:37 am »

Told you they'd f***.

Though I kinda WANT to make a new character. As I fail to make Vax seem insane.
But I'm still a bit mixed about it, so I'll see once you've decided on the mission.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 05, 2015, 12:52:15 am »

I haven't decided anything at all yet. I was actually thinking of taking a new approach to my sci-fi related RtD's--having a forum game where players build space empires starting from only Earth and expanding to stars on a case-by-case basis. Then when everyone loses I could host an RtD in that specific game universe, using the game history as canon.

Like I mentioned, the problem I have with the KX9 is that I am bound to screw something up and do something inconsistent with established KX9 lore. And since two of you want new characters... I don't know, the motivation to continue with this one just isn't there.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 05, 2015, 12:54:56 am »

Well, I do want to keep playing Atlos, I just don't see him doing well in such a combat-oriented mission.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 05, 2015, 01:24:32 am »

Could always timeskip past the KX9 stuff and then have something of interest that the guild looks at.

That forumgame idea sounds fun~

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 05, 2015, 01:41:32 am »

Could always timeskip past the KX9 stuff and then have something of interest that the guild looks at.

That forumgame idea sounds fun~

Yeah, I'm just trying to find a way to do travel times in space since orbital mechanics are a bit too complicated for the average forum-goer to dive into, and I don't want to juggle a bunch of tables around to precisely track launch windows.

The intended tech level is NERVAs and ships with more propellant than dry mass, so not weak enough that deltaV is crucially important, but weak enough that there are incentives to upgrade your space drives.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 05, 2015, 02:56:40 am »

Yeah, the eternal problem with space settings. The physics.
It's either going to be simplified to hell and back, or it'll be so dense only a few would understand it.
I'm basically just peering through a window of the room you're in, I'm not as much into the hyper complex physics of space, or quantum physics as you are.
I know electricity plus some basics in chemistry, biology, and physics, and that's it.

Without full grasp of the level of physics you are talking in, I have to use vague terminology to make things not contradict.
I don't know what acids could hold the charge of a Thunderdragon. All I know is that sulfuric acid (the type used in car batteries) would be too weak.
I know of no direct heat-electricity mechanics the Laser Crocodiles would use, or how a Plasma Crocodile could make the heat resistant coating of their projectiles.
Also, I'm not even sure FTL travel would be possible, the hyper accelerated light might just render us snow blind on every trip. So there's uncertainties on which physics will still be effective.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 05, 2015, 03:53:40 am »

Could make a sorta ring for each planet. Closer to the star = fewer spaces on the ring. Planets move one ringspace per turn. Then with a basic orbit system, you could figure out a way to figure out traveltime/fuelcost. It would simplify launches and transit, as you would simply fly towards the ringspace the planet would be upon arrival.

Although orbital slingshots might be a bit of an issue with that system, not sure how that would work.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49