Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 53046 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Farming Village Bloodline (One Free Spot!)
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2014, 05:26:28 pm »

Oh, make sure you build you manor out of stone blocks, rather than just boulders, since stone is going to be kind of scarce.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2014, 05:45:28 pm »

*Contemplates building his estate out of more readily available materials, and which have a more village like feel about them, such as a mixture of stone block with pole and beam construction. (Like this kind.) This would allow much of the upper story to be made of super cheap clay boulders, with some of the timbers being made of wood, and the first story made of stone blocks.

As per the rules, the second kind of framing depicted in that article is verboten, but the first kind is OK, as long as it does not exceed the total Z level restriction.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Nevertaxed-Koreg First Year
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2014, 06:27:49 pm »

Take a hint you ass it's my journal Malachite 14

I have become convinced that one need not die to go to hell. The new migrants are in general very old and seem to believe that they should be allowed to spend all day fishing. We have no means of processing fish and I'm out of semi-competent help to manage such an operation. We also have nobody to manage all these stockpiles, if we did we could have one large storehouse where goods were held until they were needed in a secondary stockpile, for example the one in the tavern whose contents are unknowable because PK can't run the tavern and manage the stockpiles.

I suppose we could put a good cooking fire out by the tavern and PK could start producing better meals using the fish. I quite enjoy plums but dwarves were not meant to live on fresh fruit. I've spent all day and night working on conglomerate blocks for my manor and evictedSaint is quite eager to begin smelting the hematite and tetrahedrite we've found thusfar. The woman also finds it funny that we share this cursed forest with monsterous owls. I have also discovered that the tavern has been overrun by animals. The livestock aren't being managed by anyone and seem quite content to stare at us while we eat. I've ordered people to stop milling about the tavern in the hopes they lose interest with the place and collect somewhere PK doesn't have to clean up. The drink is getting low but I'm having a basement put in Wierd's home and a still put in that basement.

[This entry is not dated]

I WILL BURN THIS VILLAGE DOWN AND I WILL STRANGLE ANYONE WHO TRIES TO ESCPAE

Galena?
Madness. Utter madness. Planning and planning and planning and slowly building. It's driving me insane. The bastards have no appreciation for how difficult it is to manage this mess while staying within the law to keep this financial house of cards from collapsing! After he killed the SIXTEEN ravens that have been lurking about I've become confident enough in his competence to make made Lord_lemonpie bookkeeper and put him in charge of the under construction warehouse. We need to figure out what kind of resources we have, who owns them, and what can be done with them so we can manage these stockpiles more carefully. The bloody tavern basement is filled with plum pits, we're deadly low on drink, it's impossible to walk with all the bloody wood everywhere and we haven't planted a single crop. I grabbed a farmer and told him that if he ,even for a moment, was seen not burning would I would be VERY put out by it, I warned another I'd drown him if he didn't get off his ass and start brewing, With our stockpiles working more efficiently I think we can get a bit more done next month. Once we start burning more wood we should be ready to start metalwork and pottery. After that I'll throw a few houses  up along the road to my estate.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2014, 08:23:10 pm »

Placing order with the traders, are there any special requests?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2014, 08:25:34 pm »

More diversity of booze
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (One Free Spot!)
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2014, 08:58:19 pm »

given that this is clearly a temporate broadleaf forest (giant plum tree!!), then setting me loose on a gather plants expedition should several additional berry crops, and maybe some millet type grains to get beer out of.

just sayin.

i dont mind having my dwarf get farming skill enabled, and i DO want to inherit the brewing industry.  it fits perfectly with his "parties are awesome!" morale.

typically, even if the normal stocks screen wont list the amounts of raw plants because the book keeper hasnt gotten dwarven psychic record keeping up to spec yet, the kitchen menu will still give insights into what all is available. 

just send wierd out on alternating "gather plants" jobs and "brew drinks" jobs. he will quickly become legendary in both jobs, and the period where we are waiting for proper farms to get established (and a warehouse industry to facilitate it) will permit seeds to accumulate, meaning the first year we will have plots fully planted. (when we actually get to planting)

I'm kinda hoping that there's hemp out in the woods. that can be hilarious as an RP element.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2014, 09:06:01 pm »

There's plenty of plants and a decent and growing supply of booze. I had you set to harvest big sections of the forest after the fruit was ripe and you filled the stores up pretty quickly. The problem was that the brewer decided masonry carpentry sleeping and taking a break were all more important than brewing. There's no seed shortage right now, in fact until there's a textile industry dealing with all of the seeds is going to be a fun little project.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2014, 09:14:31 pm »

quantum dump, followed by stockpile creation.  cant mass dump the seeds until the book keeper gets his psychic voodoo going though-- need the extended functionality of the stocks menu to do that sanely.  in fact, doing it this way is actually more efficient than using bags.

basically:

1), dump all seeds on a 1x1 garbage dump within easy walk distance of the farms.
2) remove the dump zone, and put a 1x1 food stockpile under it.
3) set the new stockpile to forbid all bags, barrels, and everything but seeds.
4) drag an unforbid selection over the stockpile.
5) forbid seeds in the actual food stockpile

there will be a mountain of seeds in the quantum dump, and the food stockpile will keep them from rotting. without bags, there wont be issues with seed planting jobs.

the caveat is that on occasion the quantum dumping will have to be repeated.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »

quantum dump, followed by stockpile creation.  cant mass dump the seeds until the book keeper gets his psychic voodoo going though-- need the extended functionality of the stocks menu to do that sanely.  in fact, doing it this way is actually more efficient than using bags.

basically:

1), dump all seeds on a 1x1 garbage dump within easy walk distance of the farms.
2) remove the dump zone, and put a 1x1 food stockpile under it.
3) set the new stockpile to forbid all bags, barrels, and everything but seeds.
4) drag an unforbid selection over the stockpile.
5) forbid seeds in the actual food stockpile

there will be a mountain of seeds in the quantum dump, and the food stockpile will keep them from rotting. without bags, there wont be issues with seed planting jobs.

the caveat is that on occasion the quantum dumping will have to be repeated.

I'm not big on quantum stockpiles but in the case of seeds it's not super exploity, (1000 seeds on one square makes more sense than 5 seeds and five barrels of fruit occupying the same space. I'd still rather not use dump without a refuse industry though.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2014, 09:29:17 pm »

... I think you should RP not being able to plant crops in the winter.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2014, 09:31:53 pm »

... I think you should RP not being able to plant crops in the winter.

Normally I'd go along with that but I don't think it gets too cold at our site. When we embarked there wasn't snow on the ground and no spots that were frozen. I was really hoping for a nasty brutal winter where dying of thirst or starvation was a likely consequence of not managing the stockpiles well but I'm expecting disappointment.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2014, 09:35:15 pm »

We can still RP seasonal crop restrictions so that things are in proper season.

Some crops can be grown in multiple seasons, like squash-- (Summer, and fall)-- and some can definately be grown in mild temperate winters, like cabbages, and red wheat.

We'd need a full list of available crops, and I can do some research on proper planting times.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2014, 09:56:49 pm »

I'm sorry I haven't been on guys. I have been at a camp the past 2 days  :D. Sorry about that.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2014, 09:59:46 pm »

I'll work on that.

Also, historical badass alert:
At the age of 12 Rushan Springcradles got a job, married a 12 year old butcher and convinced her to become a siege engineer. At the age of 32 he became a general by means completely lost to history, at 34 he did a month long stint as a jaguar tamer. At 42 he launched his first military campaign and sacked an elven site, the next year he began worshiping a god of death. At 51 he launched he fought his second battle and defeated yet another group of elves. This inspired him to take a vaction and train camels succeeding in less than a month. At 62 he found his calling and made up for lost time. He launched 20 attacks over about 6 months, nearly wiped out the goblin civilization, and died of natural causes before he could make it 21. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nevertaxed-Koreg First Year
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2014, 10:28:00 pm »

Limestone1
 The warehouse needs to be roofed and several houses need to be built and several industries need to be created. The hell with it. These ungrateful bastards don't appreciate my hard work so as the fearless leader of this village I'm placing myself first. My estate is built, it is furnished, and it is stocked with fine foods. Then we can talk about your problems.

Limestone 14

My home is coming along nicely, I decided against pulling all other labors to get it done. The wine's shored up, the furnace is churning out charcoal at a good pace and once we get some more wheelbarrows the metal industry will start up immediately. I may assign pottery next, I don't like digging stone like this, I fear the tunnels may collapse and I can't take a hit to my reputation like that if I ever plan to sell shares. It may be advisable to [a dark pool appears here where a quill was apparently set down for some time.]

Traders are here. Bim Glazesubtles showed up with a dwarven caravan without any time to prepare. (SO glad I paid those filthy tree hippies to warn me of this EXACT THING) Bim is here ostensibly to trade but I'm certain she's been sent to look for any sort of holes in our story. I daresay she may have found one. It would seem that if a village is comprised by more than 70% dwarves and those dwarves have any sort of permanent leadership they must be tied to the nearest dwarven civilization lest that civilization be shamed by their behavior.
   I told her we had no leader, she asked one of the dwarves building the one stone structure ,a stately manor, who would live there and this idiot dwarf replied “Koreg.” I clarified that I meant I was not permanent in any capacity and would be handing over control very shortly to the nearest dwarf I could physically grab which was in this case PK. If she believed me even for a moment it was not at all apparent. I suspect she will go to great lengths to report back anything she can to His Majesty's Tax Service. Unless I want to be dragged off by the MTS I'll have to earnestly entrust PK with [a word has been obliterated by tears and burns] VILLAGE operations.
   No matter, I hate every part of this. There are owls everywhere but none of them giant which is convincing more and more dwarves that there never was a giant owl. There are raven and echidna carcasses left out in the sun because as of yet I haven't found the time to designate a trash heat. I also haven't had the time to assign someone to watch the animals but for now I'm quite okay with that. I chatted with the “Liaison” [read:blasted spy] in the pub and while I did so she nearly vomited at the spectacle of a pig experiencing miracle of life on the freshly cleaned floor of the Pickled Plum.
   She of course had to behave as though this was simply a trading mission and asked about what we needed. I placed an order for as much drink as her team could carry, at least one bull and at least one cow, and some fine silk cloth and assured her, gesturing towards the silver statuette that we could certainly afford it when the metalworks were operating at 100% efficiency. Technically I never said we made the statuette or that there was an abundance of silver here. No, I'll leave saying that to her men who are less than disciplined and likely to tell wild stories of the tax free village situated on top of a huge deposit of mineral wealth.
   She was vaguely interested but when I mentioned ,and only slightly overstated, how much iron we'd successfully pulled from the ground and she was very interested. She didn't say anything specific but her request led me to me to a few inferences.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This appears to be a list of warfare materials. Pearlash makes clear glass which makes spyglasses, drums horns and the like communicate across the battlefield, splints and thread are medical supplies, the weapons and armor are probably self-explanatory, a good hard cheese makes an excellent field ration, and the anvils would of course make more weapons and armor. It is known that the goblin menace was nearly wiped out by the half year crusade of the human general Rushan Springcradles they have been incapable of real force projection for the 56 years since his death. My theory is that the Goblin Master Kul Veiledmines who took power shortly after we left for Nevertaxed has rallied an offensive and attacked some of our less defended resources. No doubt many settlements have been sacked, many strongholds raided, and many atrocities perpetrated against our people for our defenders lacked the resources to fight effectively. This is a tragedy for all of us... who don't own an operational iron mine on tax-free land. EvictedSaint will see owls wherever I tell her to when she can't fill her orders without my iron and I can't wait until we have the money to hire some more competent hands for the plum harvest and that bastard flower picker Weird is out on his ass. Of course this is good news for others to, the fellow who takes over the animal industry may make a tidy profit trading strong wool thread and cheese. I suppose HugoLuman is going to do fairly well in the splint game too.

I plied her with some of our stiffer wines and with tactful questioning got her appraisal of the financial situation back home. It seems there's been a sudden interest in fortress reclamation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I imagine they plan to restore the fortresses to working condition, declaring them perfectly restored, and selling them to interested parties for an impressive mark up. Fortress flipping! That's where the money is. But there's no legacy there, Nevertaxed will be my masterpiece and my name will be associated with it for all time. My home is nearly complete, the second floor is nearly finished and I'm producing furnishings for it myself. When this bloody year is done I'll be holed up in my manor with a nice glass of wine, a nicely seasoned piece of fish, and peace.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:11:13 pm by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54