Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Unusual Habits While Gaming  (Read 13916 times)

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Habits While Gaming
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2014, 04:43:05 pm »

I once spent three hours compiling detailed statistics on units in an RTS game so I could have the best possible units at per resource spent.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2014, 05:18:05 pm »

Once I use a walkthrough in a game, I can never go back. :(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2014, 05:45:35 pm »

When the game is Japanese, I'm nearly forced to play one-handed.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2014, 06:24:45 pm »

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2014, 07:18:39 pm »

I'm completely terrible at FPSes until I start vocalizing my inner-thoughts. Double that if I have friends nearby, if I'm playing with friends I'm usually fuckin' amazing. Usually.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2014, 07:21:38 pm »

I can't play video games that have that anime look. They have very weird and cliched plots (a 14 year old saving the world with the power of friendship, while killing titan sized creatures) and I'm not fond of the art style.

Yeah, even those that provoke you to play it one-handed. Some of them just creep me out rather than make me lose control of my hand.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2014, 07:59:19 pm »

I always lose control of my hand(s) when playing games.

... because my gamer instincts take over to increase my reaction speed! What were you thinking.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2014, 12:40:49 am »

I once spent three hours compiling detailed statistics on units in an RTS game so I could have the best possible units at per resource spent.
Believe it or not, I did something like that before. I took info from a faq of time it takes to build something or upgrade in Age of Empires 2, recorded the costs of each thing (including the # of villagers on the job variable, where speed is concerned (12-16 villagers working on a wonder is the most efficient; more would be a waste of work/farms. Otherwise, 4 villagers maximum per-building. It's the most efficient, and you'll churn buildings and armies out the whazoo in no time. Speaking of which, control and production-wise; 4 of each building type is most efficient for massive army building)), and compiled the data into a spreadsheet, along with a makeshift calculator that you can use with it to get hypothetical data, accurate to within a second, and exact cost. I think I also allowed for multipliers, so you can adjust according to your race. More manual application though, so it wouldn't make too user-friendly of a program/spreadsheet to use. However, I got my optimal villager per-building count down to maximize production speeds, and also getting my optimal times-per-units, so I can even keep track of my squad production rates. I quickly became a nightmare for my siblings (besides my brothers, which are killing me badly on SupCom, and any other RTS. My sisters, who do somewhat/sometimes play otherwise, find me just as relatively difficult, but they weren't half-bad either.).

I did something similar for my game of Starcon 2. Had data from last unfinished playthrough, and made a hyper/quasispace calculator that gives me the time it takes to travel from one coord to another, and can also factor in qusispace and it's effects (meaning, it'll also highlight WHICH gate is the most efficient path to my destination), and what rainbow worlds I collected, which homeworlds and special locations exist and their coords, and used that data from my last playthrough to optimize my playthrough. I also had another calculator that kept track of all modules I had installed on my ship, and just recently included accumulator cells that keep track of my RU/Credits gained/spent, crew and fuel lost, even the amount of landers lost. This became a quick, yet satisfying, adventure so far.

I seem to make some rather OCD mini-projects (usually spreadsheets, with some style too (SEE: Starcon2 spreadsheet)) for some of my games; to the point they can be used for LPs as statistics, or optimizers to speed up a game that's taking too long by gameplay, but not story; or simply, helps your game (like maximizing my fuel, and helping me pick some of my battles, and lead like a responsible captain). Cheat Engine really helps for other factors too. After having my fun messing with the values/variables, I started using them as stats. Like more exact fuel measurement, so I am accurate with a starmap and fuel cost by the pixel or hundreth of a unit (Lander missions, and EXACT distances). So when I screwed over the Druuge when I drained their fuel tanks dry, I was thorough about it. My ship arrived without even fumes in the tanks, ALL 16 OF THEM (17 if you include the 10-unit reserve tank). Fun fact: I have yet to break even on that profit in my game, and I don't intend to. Simply, I have yet to spend as much fuel the entire game as I stole from them. I checked my chart just now. Total fuel gained stolen/spent: 1610/1477.66 (and at 20RU per-unit of fuel, 32,200RU/29,553.2RU. Wow.). Near endgame, I can do this.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:54:43 am by Itnetlolor »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2014, 03:44:13 am »

On console FPSes, I tend to use strafing to adjust my aim horizontally when I'm aiming at someone. It's super effective, but the down-side is that my aim is much much worse if I'm dodging (e.g. in close proximity to an enemy and trying not to die).

On PC FPSes I mostly use strafing for constant random dancing to make life harder on snipers.

Somehow I'm a good sniper in Halo 4, yet also the worst sniper ever in Team Fortress 2. I'm not entirely sure how that's possible, but I only ever seemed to get headshots in TF2 by using the bow of dumb luck. (No issues in non-online games like Saint's Row 3, and yet I have no problems hitting people in online XBox games...)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2014, 03:48:55 am »

On console FPSes, I tend to use strafing to adjust my aim horizontally when I'm aiming at someone. It's super effective, but the down-side is that my aim is much much worse if I'm dodging (e.g. in close proximity to an enemy and trying not to die).

On PC FPSes I mostly use strafing for constant random dancing to make life harder on snipers.

I do that too! Strafing allows for much more delicate control of where you're aiming, as opposed to actually turning. It's the only way to hit midrange targets if you're playing on a smallish TV. There's a reason console FPS games typically have auto-aim on by default :P

When playing online multiplayer FPS and somebody on my team is driving away with a vehicle and I need a ride, I'll usually shoot them a bunch to get their attention. Nobody ever looks at text chat anymore, I rarely play with a headset and they usually get the message. Or they turn around and run me over, or they blow me up, or they just drive even faster.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:54:02 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2014, 03:59:22 am »

I play with the stick sensitivity turned up to '8' too, so it's even more necessary, but that lets me do a 180-degree spin instantly if I hear someone behind me (or just want to look behind me)... or if someone jumps over my head, which happens frequently in split-screen.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2014, 04:27:55 am »

I also tend to obsessively 100% older games that I am only playing again for nostalgia's sake.

Ray Man 2: The Great Escape, Kirby 64: Kirby and the Crystal Shards, Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64... yeah, it tends to take a while to 100% (or 101%, or 110%) those games- Donkey Kong 64 especially.

It's also hard to do that on a N64 that crashes 100 times before you can play the game remotely, then 100 more before you're done. I'd literally sit there hitting reset until it could play through the intro song to Donkey Kong 64 for an entire hour.

An entire hour of that song's beginning, over and over.
I never beat Rayman 2, I was too young to be any good at it but now I feel compelled to dig out my N64 and take another run at it.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 10:33:18 am »

I never beat Rayman 2, I was too young to be any good at it but now I feel compelled to dig out my N64 and take another run at it.
Do it do it do it! Loved Rayman 2 as a kid. Beating it was a great experience, form beginning to end.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2014, 10:50:30 am »

Donkey Kong 64? Oh god. I tried replaying that, I got to the desert level (that's the second world!) before I decided it was just too tedious.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 10:52:24 am »

I have this tendency to press every single button on my mouse at once, it may be just to release tension from my hands or something...

I'm one of those people who jump constantly (as long as it doesn't slow me down). I think this comes from playing Morrowind.

I compulsively ADS even at point blank range where it's probably a bad thing.

I will always pick the two-barreled shotgun over every other shotgun, no matter what. Especially if it's a vertically aligned one, rather than a horizontally aligned one. This is assuming I even pick a shotgun at all. (I dislike shotguns in almost every game that isn't Metro.)

I almost always crouch to shoot even when it doesn't actually affect my aim at all.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9