Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Unusual Habits While Gaming  (Read 13885 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Unusual Habits While Gaming
« on: November 27, 2014, 01:31:57 am »

In-game or IRL, do you have any unusual things that you tend to do while you're playing?

For example, I notice that I tend to have running commentary in my head as I play certain games (kinda like I'm livestreaming the game to my inner subconcscious. Been doing it since eons ago.); especially if I get really immersed in them. Basically, it's like I have a running copy of MST3k or Rifftrax going on, except composed of my personalit(y/ies). It tends to get funny during certain races or FPS sessions I play. It gets somewhat ESPN-style with some games (Unreal sometimes, SpeedRunners and such at other times), to just plain silly (Quake).

Speaking of Quake, my inner-metalogue decided unanimously, by context of commentary, that I go through Quake (Hard Difficulty) like I'm Old Man Henderson to the point of nicknaming me that the whole playthrough like obnoxious siblings (that, or a(nother) meme just started within my subconscious, and it could go Inception on me.). On the plus side, it's a complement from myself to myself, and a good way to know I'm insane sometimes (like shotgunning a shambler at shambler-melee range, and winning with minimal damage taken; oh, and with heavy knights also on the prowl).

EDIT:
One other tidbit I almost forgot. Apparently my immersion experience was far better when I had the resolution at minimal, rather than maximum. It's odd. With Planetside 2, I need a high resolution with crap rendering to see, and play. But with Quake, I need it for nostalgia. Somehow, I played far better with a crappy resolution setting (like 320x280 on a 1280x1024 screen), than the highest. It must be a nostalgia factor.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:45:24 am by Itnetlolor »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Habits While Gaming
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:34:18 am »

I tend to like to nibble on things well I game~

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 03:38:48 am »

In Halo, my few attempts at CoD, and other similar games, I have a thing about spamming melee attacks while I'm not doing anything else in game. Similarly, in Dust: An Elysian Tail, I always, ALWAYS use the aerial dust storm while travelling, aside from short walking breaks while waiting for the self damage thing to time out.

EDIT: Also, I tend to save twice. As in I save the game once like a sane person, then promptly reopen the menu and overwrite the save again.
This is doubled when playing on an emulator, where I'll do the same thing both with in-game saving and save states.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:41:39 am by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:40:58 am »

I hum extremely loudly whenever I play games. Anyone nearby will regret their position very soon. I also talk to the computer/game a lot.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:42:36 am by Aedel »
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 03:41:40 am »

I talk to the game. Also, in games with jumping, I jump constantly.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 03:46:40 am »

I tend to stick my tongue out slightly during action games in which I may get surprise attacked at any moment; I find it helps mitigate startled reactions.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 03:53:40 am »

EDIT:
One other tidbit I almost forgot. Apparently my immersion experience was far better when I had the resolution at minimal, rather than maximum. It's odd. With Planetside 2, I need a high resolution with crap rendering to see, and play. But with Quake, I need it for nostalgia. Somehow, I played far better with a crappy resolution setting (like 320x280 on a 1280x1024 screen), than the highest. It must be a nostalgia factor.
I'd say it's more a matter of early 3D being less identifiable as early 3D when the resolution is low. Like the low polycount isn't as glaring then. Late 90s games look really bad with high resolution textures. I have no idea what people were thinking with 3dfx.

I played Resident Evil 2 at the lowest possible resolution just so that the models wouldn't stand out from the pre-rendered backgrounds as much.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 04:01:12 am »

When I play 4X/RTS games and I go to war I just completely forget about everything. Until that enemy is wiped out, colonization, economy, everything is forgotten about. Maim, kill, burn!

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 04:02:10 am »

I sometimes play videogames with my arms crossed.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 04:30:39 am »

I talk to the game. Also, in games with jumping, I jump constantly.

+1 to jumping, to the point where any FPS without jumping makes me sad because I can't constantly jump.*space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space* *space*

Sometimes, I push buttons extra hard in a difficult part of a game, as if pushing harder will somehow help me succeed. I am suprised my phone's thin glass screen has survived some of the games I have played on it.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 05:16:25 am »

I've a tendency to rotate the sticks on my controller in loading screens, which isn't that odd, but I'll also hammer in old codes such as Konami, GTA III cheats and occasionally just Street Fighter combos.

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 05:27:51 am »

I really like to climb things in games, to the point where my Skyrim characters usually resemble mountain goats.
Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 05:35:43 am »

I really like to climb things in games, to the point where my Skyrim characters usually resemble mountain goats.
Breaking boundaries and searching for ways past invisible walls is an artform that is only possible in games. It's the classic idea of breaking something you play with just because.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 06:36:17 am »

Not that unusual probably, but in fast paced fighting or FPS games, I try to reach zen while playing, just emptying my mind of conscious thought and letting the reactions I trained to take place instead.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 06:43:37 am »

Not that unusual probably, but in fast paced fighting or FPS games, I try to reach zen while playing, just emptying my mind of conscious thought and letting the reactions I trained to take place instead.
No auto-aim right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9