Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 119854 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Year 2 is done
« Reply #420 on: January 04, 2015, 12:47:00 am »

☼Kobolds☼ Year 3

Second and Third Months of Autumn

28th Limestone: The indoor well is complete. Not that its at all useful, since there's another well right next to the fishing platform. Whatever.

3rd Sandstone: I'm ordering the Thunder Coil turned on. I don't want to leave it unused with no idea how it works. Enough of the post-battle hubbub has died down that its probably fairly safe to turn it on.

Dammit. We forgot to use fireproof mechanisms in the actual Thunder Coil. The Thunder Coil sparked menacingly for about a second before bursting into flame and collapsing. Nothing around it was damaged, thanks to our precautions, but the Thunder Coil will need rebuilding. I have the Mechanics start with making some mechanisms out of sandstone. We have just enough leftover sandstone to make it work.

4th Sandstone: The last member of the Lascivious Lashes became a Witch[r] today. Our entire militia is composed of magic practitioners of one sort or another.

5th Sandstone: According to the plans here, the Thunder Coil's effects appear to grow with the amount of power channeled into it. Attaching some extra gears onto the power train that fuels the Thunder Coil would reduce its danger and effects. I'll add them on, with a lever to disengage them if we ever need the Thunder Coil's TRUE power.

9th Sandstone: The fireproof mechanisms are finished and the Thunder Coil is being rebuilt.

12th Sandstone: Looks like the Arena DOES work without a Changeling. The Arenamaster, an Air-Sign, summoned a Grimeling with some kobold bulbs and then absconded. I'm having a goblin thief tossed down there.

13th Sandstone: The Arena battle isn't pretty. The Grimeling is turning the Goblin into a vaguely humanoid pile of crushed bones and pulped flesh. Very slowly. Without killing him.

15th Sandstone: The Goblin finally dies of asphyxiation after being strangled. I have a war unicorn tossed in next. Grimelings, clearly, just don't cut it. They don't kill quickly enough.

16th Sandstone: The war unicorn does much better against the Grimeling, crippling it. It doesn't kill its enemy EITHER and keep inflicting minor wounds. I'll give the unicorn a weak before I send the militia down there to mop up after it.

17th Sandstone: Some immigrants arrive. That brings the population to 148. I conscript a few of them into a new squad, called the Chaste Choppers. I put various kobolds to work melting down mithril for their weapons and making bonerattle for their armour

19th Sandstone: The Power Limiting Array for the Thunder Coil is finished. Hopefully this ought to prevent it from setting fire to the fort. Hopefully.

20th Sandstone: Asmoth, the ARCHDRUID of this place, doesn't have a proper office or dining room and has an inadequate bedroom. I order that fixed.

22nd Sandstone: Literally AS SOON as I have Asmoth his half-decorated office, the Warren Master from the caravan the Elves killed came in and met with him. He must have been hiding in the fort with us[Or maybe even OUTSIDE of it] for at least a few months. Damned Air-Signs are slippery. At least we'll be able to order goods this year.

24th Sandstone: I've officially pulled the plug on the current Arena battle. The Withering Blades are being sent in to execute both combatants. Hopefully the next tier up Arena creature will be more lethal/killable.

25th Sandstone: The Unicorn falls quickly to a decapitation, but the Grimeling remains resilient, having no blood or nervous system. Eventually one of the machetebolds bisects him. The Arena is full of blood, body parts and the token for the next tier of Arena creatures and some wood and plants.

27th Sandstone: The Thunder Coil is rebuilt, this time with fully fireproof materials. After the remaining fortifications in its cage are replaced with walls, it'll be fully operational. For real this time. Hopefully.

3rd Timber: The Thunder Coil is beginning its second test run. I pray this one will have better results.

OH GOD THE DRUIDS LODGE IS ON FIRE! TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURNITOFFTURNIFOFFTURNITOFF!

4th Timber: Thank Griblin I tested the Thunder Coil on a rainy day. Otherwise the entire fort might have gone up in flames. That was too much power. FAR too much power. I'm taking out an entire waterwheel. Everything should still be able to run, but the Thunder Coil will have vastly reduced intensity. As it is, the Druids Lodge is still a smoking wreck. Asmoth is going to be furious. I order the Druids Lodge rebuilt, its not like we were using it much anyways, and ready the Thunder Coil for its third test run, with a hundred jewels[<- Kobold measurement for power] less energy. I also have the lever that would give the Thunder Coil more power removed. Its too dangerous.

6th Timber: The third waterwheel has been removed. The Thunder Coil's third test run begins now, while its still raining.

7th Timber: The Thunder Coil doesn't seem to be doing much with only 30 jewels of power to work with. I have it turned off and order two of the dampening gear assemblies removed. We're going to amp the amount of power this thing receives until we get the desired effect. But slowly.

8th Timber: Asmoth spoke with me today. He chastised me for wrecking the Druid Lodge and informed me of what he'd ordered from the merchants: Wood, various seeds, mithril bars and spirit bears.

9th Timber: Since the Arena is all cleaned up, the Arenamaster goes to summon the next tier of monster: A fearsome Desert Scorpion.

I begin the third test run of the Thunder Coil, with 40 jewels of power this time.

Once again, no observable effect. I order another two dampening gear assemblies removed.

10th Timber: The Giant Desert Scorpion is summoned, the Arenamaster runs away sucessfully and I have a goblin thief dropped in. This should hopefully work better.

The Thunder Coil begins its fourth test run, with 50 jewels of power this time.

Once again, nothing hapens. I order another two gear assemblies detached.

The Giant Scorpion makes short work of the Goblin, stinging him into submission fairly rapidly. This is more like it. I order the second Goblin tossed in too.

11th Timber:

The Thunder Coil begins its fifth test run, with 60 jewels of power this time.

I don't see the Thunder Coil doing anything, but I decide to leave it running a little while just in case.

The Giant Scorpion kills the second Goblin just as easily. Hell yeah.

12th Timber: After a full day of the Thunder Coil running, still nothing. I order the rest of the dampening gear assemblies removed all at once.

13th Timber: The Druids Lodge is rebuilt. Yay.

14th Timber: All the dampening gear assemblies are removed. I order the sixth[And hopefully last] test run of the Thunder Coil to begin.

AAAAND still nothing, even with 80 jewels. I'm hesitant to put more power into this thing after the earlier incident. 80 jewels might still be enough to affect enemies caught in the Drowning Chamber, we haven't tested it yet. If not, maybe we can add a windmill to the array if we need more power. In any case, the Thunder Coil is being shelved until it can be tested on live enemies. Unfortunately, we seem to have run out of those, having fed them all to the giant scorpion.

16th Timber: I have the thieves start stealing from the Goblins again, to get gems for the Chaste Choppers' elevation to Witch[r]s.

17th Timber: A couple badgers wander into our traps and get caged and bisected, respectively.

More importantly, a small band of humans were sighted on the eastern border. They don't look like they want to trade anything besides blows. I briefly consider whether I should drown them, electrocute them, fight them or feed them to the Giant Scorpion. Probably some combination of the above.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:21:09 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 04, 2015, 05:50:59 am »

Can I join in as well? I'd like to go for humans at Year 4.

i think that guy's message got lost because he hasn't been included in the turn list yet

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 04, 2015, 08:51:59 am »

It occurs to me that with Meph going to Mars, he will be unable to maintain our little adventure.  Would it be possible for someone else to access the OP?  If not, we need to consider starting a new thread.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #423 on: January 04, 2015, 11:42:18 am »

It occurs to me that with Meph going to Mars, he will be unable to maintain our little adventure.  Would it be possible for someone else to access the OP?  If not, we need to consider starting a new thread.
Someone mentioned my name?

I will update the first post in 2 days from now, when I arrive in Berlin. At least that is the plan.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 04, 2015, 11:37:09 pm »

Bad news guys. My save got corrupted and it won't work anymore.

Quote from: All my progress
Fwumph

And I don't use autosaves because they usually cause more harm then good. Should have backed this up on a seperate USB stick like I do for Cobaltpacked.

@Meph:

Should I play through Year 3 again or cede my turn? I won't have quite as much time for this since school is becoming a thing again.
Spooky Signature

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 05, 2015, 01:56:16 am »

Oh, that's really sad, your turn was shaping up to be amazing.  Both for what you accomplished and for the potential for the gizmo to provide !!FUN!! for the camp in the future :)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 05, 2015, 02:57:17 am »

Ouch, I dunno what harm seasonal saves do (besides interruptions) but I suppose your kobolds will wake up from a 'bad dream'.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #427 on: January 05, 2015, 12:23:01 pm »

Do as you like, either redo it (with backups/quicksaves) or give it someone else. I cant force you :P What happened though? How can a save get corrupted?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 05, 2015, 02:46:09 pm »

If nobody has spoken for the Hermit I'll take it next. Could someone upload it on the DFFD? I don't do dropbox.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 05, 2015, 02:58:40 pm »

If nobody has spoken for the Hermit I'll take it next. Could someone upload it on the DFFD? I don't do dropbox.

According to the original post there is a player for Hermit year 3 already, Urist Mc Dwarf.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 05, 2015, 03:02:38 pm »

Can I play Warlocks Year 4?

edit: Also, where can I download the mods?
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 05, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »

Also, where can I download the mods?

The Masterwork package is here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

All the different races are included.  If you're playing a new game add the playable race(s) you like using the GUI, and select a particular race before embark by using the Civilization selection tab.  To play the succession fort just put the save game in your saves folder as usual, the GUI settings will not matter.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 05, 2015, 06:03:43 pm »

Do as you like, either redo it (with backups/quicksaves) or give it someone else. I cant force you :P What happened though? How can a save get corrupted?

The world.sav file is empty. It happened after an automatic disk checking, although that may be a red herring. I'm going to TRY to splice an earlier version of the world.sav file from the zipped version I downloaded, but I'm fairly sure it won't work.

EDIT: Yeah, it didn't work. Bluh.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:14:14 pm by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 05, 2015, 06:26:50 pm »

Succubi year 3 – Spring

Messy as it should
Padaxe wakes up with a splitting migraine. The departed souls of the succubi from the caves below sent her into a rare moment of clarity. The matriarch takes a moment to reflect on the state of the dungeon. As expected, the succubi each decided to build something different and the dungeon seems like an incoherent mass of rooms and stairs, but since this gave each of those amateur architects a moment of joy, there is no reason to change this habit.

There is a small collection of useful creatures too. Orthi are guarding the entrance with the help of a tentacle monster. The decay brutes spent their time running around the workshops, spreading a stench that would kill mortals, and it is now time to give them a better purpose in the tunnels leading to the cavern. Their slime will surely destroy beasts before they can aproach the succubi?

The few warriors still alive are stumbling around, avoiding eyesight. With the lady of pain in a coffin that is nothing to be surprised about, but this cannot do, and Padaxe is going to remedy this situation.

First she needs a lots of capable warriors, who know their trade. Some kind of trained soldiers, who are used to learn together to art of combat, at least vaguely disciplined...

Perfect.

Drinks and elves
A den of iniquity needs alcohol, not only because a drunk soldier is easier to please than a sober one, buy also because it is easier to convince a drunk temptress to play mind games with ten men and women who's only words so far are death threats.

Plus, it goes without saying that a succubus full of wine and fine food will at least pretend to follow orders in hope to find more. Since Hell has never sheltered a farm, the demons must improvise.

Padaxe yelled around the showers to get attention. She wanted a farm dug in the higher levels to grow the cave wheat they have lying around and asked the masons at the same time to wall off the area around the cauchemars outside.

Obviously this plan was popular seeing how quickly the pasture area was walled off. A tunnel leads to this small farm and the seemingly abandoned house will be used for storing seeds. With haste the succubi are burying seeds in any patch of soil they can find. For the first time in their long lives, they will see plants grow.

The indoor farm however is nowhere as exciting, but it will work as intended.

More space for the damned
Since the dungeon is going to witness a boost in population, some new rooms are needed. But before Padaxe could give orders, a metalcrafter woke up in stupor, her eyes glowing white. Padaxe knew that ancient demons has decided to take the crafter's body and gift her with a new creation.

“Oh yes, infernal spirits, make me an artifact whip or corset, pretty please with sugar on top!” While she create her precious chef d'œuvre, miners and masons work with only hours of breaks.

New tombs have been placed, because obviously that will be needed.

A new refuse area to keep the dungeon as clean as possible has been dug from the rock, with a properly placed well of souls to collect what's due. New workshops for soap making and tanning have also been added to turn dead things into useful things. Besides what's good a shower for if there is no soap?

The shower is a wonderful invention, it causes the succubi and incubi to sweat for the pleasure of others. Therefore it is perfect.

After days of crafting, the elder spirits from below left the metalworker's body. What wonder did they left in their trails? A terrifying blade whip? An indestructible helmet?

Off to the pumps she goes!

Padaxe was so disappointed that she did not notice a new group of migrants who made themselves at home. They gave a disgusting story about their pet fire imp who melted into a pile of goo (great, I somehow broke them). A miner tried to lift her mood by offering her a new tear of Armok he extracted from a wall.

Preparing the inevitable for the inevitable
But Padaxe did not let her obsession go and threw her keeper of secret into her own room. The poor librarian came out hours later, visibly shaken and holding a pile of orders.

The first request is for a new lady of pain. This quickly led to decent amount of bickering. Some did not want to go back to battle, some wanted to be the leader and finally some did not want anything but liked stirring the animosity.

Eventually, an ill mannered temptress ended the debate by claiming an unrelated title for herself. Displaying her extensive knowledge in the use of a crossbow, she nominated herself as an enforcer and a new name, Boltgun. Such move inspired such spite that a furnace operator melt the only crossbow found in the dungeon.

In the end, one dyer with no skills has been chosen to be the new lady of pain. She should not be too upset.

The second order is to melt down any weapon and armor made of very useful or very useless materials. So silver blades and stygian blunts are to be thrown into the furnaces, steel and rusty metal will also be collected.

The third order is to make full sets of stygian bronze armors. The remaining useful metals will be turned into blades and axes. The Equine Seduction led by the lady of pain will only use pitchforks, a traditional weapon to torment the (soon to be) doomed.

And the last order cannot be written down, only whispered in the dark.

Meanwhile, Meph works on his masterworks. (huhuhu)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:35:06 pm by Boltgun »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 05, 2015, 08:25:09 pm »

According to the original post there is a player for Hermit year 3 already, Urist Mc Dwarf.
I am afraid I will have to drop out.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43