Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Siralim: Monster-raising random-dungeon RPG  (Read 4729 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Siralim: Monster-raising random-dungeon RPG
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:39:52 pm »

First, link! It's currently selling for ~10 bucks USD, and there's a decently hefty demo. I'd offer screenshots, but frankly the game's not the prettiest thing in the world and the demo's only about 23 megs. Go check it out.

Second, blurb:
Summon hundreds of powerful creatures to fight by your side in Siralim, a turn-based RPG with roguelike elements for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. In Siralim, everything is randomly generated - including the dungeons, the quests, and the items.

Third, why you might give a damn: Well, did you like Dragon Quest Monsters? Did you particularly enjoy the magic key worlds? Well, this is more or less those, made into a game.

For those who have no idea what DQM is, think Pokemon but more JRPG tropes. If that still doesn't help, think a SNES-era RPG where you murder monsters into your party and you've more or less got the idea.

Pros:
  • It definitely scratches that itch that DQM scratched. Monsters everywhere, bringing them into the party, raising them up, etc., etc., etc.
  • There's tons of critters, and each and every one of them has a very much notable special ability. Example: My low level-ish party has:
    • a critter that gives everyone on my team a chance to stun (stop enemy from acting for a turn or two) whatever hits them
    • another critter that turns invincible for one hit when it attacks or is attacked
    • a third thing that has a bouncing attack that poisons up to three enemies
    • and a last one that has a 20% chance to move to the front of the action queue at the end of anything's action.
  • You've got loot. You've got loot oozing out your pores, as well as ways to customize equipment and various resource sinks to sink resources into. There's also a whole host of various consumables, spells, and just in-general a bunch of junk.
  • Battles can get freakishly brutal. The game scales with you, and, as noted, everything you fight has potentially battle-changing special abilities. There's also several different varieties of special curbstomp critters running around. Of course, your own menagerie of abominations bring all sorts of destruction to the table, but fights can get incredibly nasty.

Cons:
  • This game is grindy as the buggerall. It's basically a sandbox, where you're given a castle, and a host of fairly-samey (tileset and loot varies a bit, but that's about it) random dungeons and not much else -- there's a series of tutorial-ish quests to introduce you to the game, but if there's anything beyond that I haven't yet noticed. There's also a host of mostly-forgettable resources, a great deal of those consumables and whatnot are of arguable interest, and junkloads of things to sink those resources into. Some of which are grind-requiring bottlenecks on your general capability or ability to progress (to the extent progression exists, anyway).
  • No plot in sight. Pro or con is arguable, there, but it definitely lacks the kind of motivative/connective stuff DQM has. Don't go into this thinking it's more than it is, heh.
  • Several things are kinda' slow, even with message speed turned up. Game is in terrifying need of rapidfire. You're going to be doing a lot of fighting, with a lot of "mash A to continue" stuff.
  • Game can get pretty brutally difficult. There's also a certain degree of memorization (or wiki-walking, I guess, but I have no idea if there's a wiki up so :V), since figuring out what the zog you're fighting does generally takes starting to capture it (or a spell, which wastes one of your critters turns and, by the by, enemies can come in groups of six) and, well, as mentioned, some -- many, really -- of the special abilities are outright game-changers that approaching incorrectly can cause you to get your face wrecked. Fortunately, while the game has a hardcore mode, it doesn't default to it. You almost certainly don't want to play it :P
  • Expect palette swaps. They're fairly common -- some critters have a little bit of other variation, but it's generally just color swaps. There's still quite a few critters, but there's also quite a few different colored same-critters. And, well. Each and every one will be doing something different, so. Yeah.

Overall: Somewhat limited, but it generally seems to know exactly what it's doing and setting out to doing what it does pretty damn well. I'd fairly comfortable rank it near the old DQM games, particularly the plain gameboy/gameboy color ones. It definitely isn't an epic game or whathaveyou, but if you're feeling a monster breed or old-school RPG battle itch, this can probably scratch it for you. It's also pretty easy to pick up and put down, so while it's a time sink it's one fairly easy to take in chunks, or pick up and put down.

Lastly, why make a thread: Well, it didn't seem to have been mentioned here, and it's definitely right up some folks alleys, so... here we are. Figured people might like to know. Discussion, impressions, etc., are more than welcome, of course.

Ah, and actually lastly: If you have trouble opening the demo (or the game, I guess) -- specifically, if trying to run the .exe spits out something about not being a win32 application or some such nonsense -- just rename it to a .zip and extract it wherever.

E: You saw nothing!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:59:41 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siralim: Monster-breeding random-dungeon RPG
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:21 pm »

looks pretty interesting.  I like the old school RPG/Phantasy Star aesthetic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Siralim: Monster-raising random-dungeon RPG
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 12:55:14 am »

Fair amount like Disgaea, from what I've seen so far, aye. At least insofar as the grind/progression type stuff goes, anyway. Sira's not a SRPG, heh. But... yeah. You can draw parallels. Mind you, its closest kin is still probably the gameboy DQM games, but Disgaea's got its shared elements, as well. Sorta' what you'd get if you mixed the two and cut out the plot, ha.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 01:04:20 am »

Well, like noted, there's a demo and it's both decently hefty (any saves made port over to the full game if you decide to buy, to boot) and fairly small file-size wise, so... might want to check it out, if you haven't already.
Ask not!
Ask!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:58:42 am »

Do not want.
Currently looking at three non-terminating Siralim.exe processes, each at only 124K.
Zipped or unzipped (a piss poor distro to need that).
No error messages of any kind.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:34:51 am »

*coughs*

... did I forget to mention there may be bugs? There may be bugs. Might consider tossing a bug report at their forums, I suppose. Though if it's giving you technical difficulties, definitely avoid for the time being. Things might improve at some point in the future.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:38:34 am »

It's hideous, though I suppose that's a taste thing.  I don't have any nostalgia for pre-SNES sprite art.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 11:12:46 am »

It's hideous, though I suppose that's a taste thing.  I don't have any nostalgia for pre-SNES sprite art.

It seems like they chose a pre-SNES art style as a way to mask the fact that they have a terrible aesthetic. I'm no graphics junkie, but this is a perfect example of a game that should have used ASCII and leveraged community artists for tiles later.

The good thing is that they do acknowledge that the graphics are poor:
We're in the process of revamping the game's graphics and user interface and adding even more content to this already-massive game.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:16:40 am by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:31:22 am »

... yeah, tastes vary. I've gotten kinda' fond of the art style over the few hours I've sunk into the game so far. S'actually little changes between same-family critters a lot of the times and most everything is pretty functional -- distinctive critters (outside the palette swap part, anyway, and there's more variation to those than I had initially noticed), fairly effective overworld tile stuff (barring one or two of the dungeons, anyway), functional-enough animations... it's honestly fairly solid, imo. Low-key and old-school, sure, but solid. Fairly consistent aesthetic, doesn't bungle trying to shoot for pretty, everything's just kinda' lined up in a proper row. Could be improved, certainly, but I'd kinda' hate it if it went towards something like ToME4's Shockbolt tiles... or dreadmor or dungeonmans or something. I like the pixel work :P

It's definitely not pre-SNES style, though. Roughly SNES era PC game would be more accurate, imo. It's a bit more sophisticated than the NES and whatnot could manage, particularly in regards to the in-battle critters -- not by much, but some.
Ask not!
Ask!

Everlund

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:46:47 am »

Yeah, pretty solid game, has an identical mobile version for android. I find it's quite suited to the usually lower expectations for a mobile game.
Fairly deep, and as Frumple says, it grows on you.
There is no try, only kill or die

ThylacineStudios

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 12:09:59 pm »

Hi everyone. I'm Zack, the designer and programmer of Siralim. Thanks to everyone who checked out my game, and special thanks to Frumple for posting such a detailed review here!

Just to address a few concerns posted here:
- No need to hold back (well...I guess you guys haven't so far) - the graphics are ugly. You'll be happy to know that the new graphics are almost complete and they're amazing. Not only that, but every creature sprite is getting overhauled as well and there will be much more drastic variations between creatures of the same race.
- The new graphics (specifically the tiles) will appear to be less grid-like and more seamless.
- The user interface is getting an overhaul as well. That's ugly too.

@n9103: If I recall correctly, a Windows patch from a while back had a small bug that caused something similar to this to occur. You might want to check for Windows updates. Aside from that, does the game properly start up for you? If not, something like antivirus software is probably blocking it from running on your system.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 12:15:41 pm »

Hi everyone. I'm Zack, the designer and programmer of Siralim. Thanks to everyone who checked out my game, and special thanks to Frumple for posting such a detailed review here!

- No need to hold back (well...I guess you guys haven't so far) - the graphics are ugly. You'll be happy to know that the new graphics are almost complete and they're amazing. Not only that, but every creature sprite is getting overhauled as well and there will be much more drastic variations between creatures of the same race.
- The new graphics (specifically the tiles) will appear to be less grid-like and more seamless.

@n9103: If I recall correctly, a Windows patch from a while back had a small bug that caused something similar to this to occur. You might want to check for Windows updates. Aside from that, does the game properly start up for you? If not, something like antivirus software is probably blocking it from running on your system.

Would you mind sharing what some of your inspirations were for the game? I can't help but get a bit of a Lufia 2 vibe (specifically its capsule monsters and Ancient Cave).
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

ThylacineStudios

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 12:24:46 pm »

Would you mind sharing what some of your inspirations were for the game? I can't help but get a bit of a Lufia 2 vibe (specifically its capsule monsters and Ancient Cave).

My most significant inspiration is Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 for Gameboy Color. After you beat the main storyline, you could find items called "magic keys" that allowed you to travel to randomly generated dungeons which had completely random treasure, enemies, etc. I always thought that was the ultimate post-game content. I liked it so much that I actually began to dislike playing through the main storyline of the game - I just wanted to get to those keys which is when the "real game" began for me. That's why Siralim has no real storyline - I want the whole game to have that post-game feel to it.

Other inspiration was taken from an online text-based game that probably no one has ever heard of called Castle Quest 2. I played it for about 12 years or so and it is what inspired many of the game's systems and creatures.

I haven't played Lufia 2, but I just Googled about its Ancient Cave system and that sounds absolutely awesome.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 12:32:58 pm »

PTW
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 12:41:29 pm »

So I'm enjoying this game, despite the graphics and small flaws. I just finished the nether egg quest and it turned out to be a nether demon, while it wasn't a min/maxed one, it is a unicorn with ridiculous defense...at least the point I'm at. Probably once this thing gets leveled I'll try out the sigils I've saved up.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: [1] 2