Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 805650 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2145 on: September 11, 2015, 02:13:49 pm »

That pamplet... i hope there is a copy in the collector edition...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 11, 2015, 04:06:02 pm »

What would people think about an optional mod for worlds that made books instant read?

I mean, you can only read every single skillbook in the game so many times before it gets mind numbingly, game endingly boring, and then you just end up making throwaway joke characters that actually do interesting shit before/while dying on day three.

It's not like finding a safe place to hold up and read for sixty days straight is difficult. The hardest part is getting the damn books in the first place.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 11, 2015, 04:26:58 pm »

Make a project of something. Build a supervehicle. A giant spiky plank with wheels which I 'drifted' everywhere on was my greatest triumph in mechanics. Bloody fun too.
thincake

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2148 on: September 12, 2015, 03:58:00 am »

What would people think about an optional mod for worlds that made books instant read?
Fantastic. Reading books is a pain.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 12, 2015, 04:01:44 am »

Fantastic. Reading books is a pain.
But it'd feel like cheating... maybe make skill gain a little faster, and make recipes much much faster?
It'd emulate your guy/girl just picking it up for the purpose of learning recipes and still feel less like a powerup.

Ideally, I'd prefer a lower cap for skills from books, but that'd be even more complicated.
thincake

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2150 on: September 12, 2015, 04:12:34 am »

Hm. Instant read might be a bit much. Honestly, what I find most annoying is having to read the same thing a bajillion times over.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 12, 2015, 08:22:07 am »

Hm. Instant read might be a bit much. Honestly, what I find most annoying is having to read the same thing a bajillion times over.

Read book, skip entire day, would feel a bit more balanced. Just drink and eat until full and then rinse and repeat, because as it is it's not that difficult to hole up and read read read. It's just boring and I'd love a time jump. It would certainly be less to do in the game but I've moved characters to new worlds just so I could get new buildings and not have to grind book reading.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 12, 2015, 01:24:09 pm »

You'd still have to find the books. Instant read just cuts out the pointless waiting. It's not like food or water are a problem unless you're a newbie/horribly crippled.

Maybe a compromise could be a 6 cost trait called eidetic memory, that maxes read speed at like one minute a chapter, let's you just flip through a book memorizing each page. (yes yes, I know the science behind this is non-existent, but this is a game about alien goo zombies with bionic super-soldiers) That way if you want to just skip books you can give yourself 6 more starting skill points to buy it, or alternatively pay a reasonably high price at character creation.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 12, 2015, 02:10:05 pm »

What would be cool for that is a bionic that 'scans' a book, stores it and then diffuses the knowledge into your brain as you sleep.  It's an 'instant' read that's on a daily cool down, with a power requirement.
Nom nom nom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 12, 2015, 02:21:41 pm »

I'd be okay with a bionic. It would likely be a common thing in labs. As useful as panties or cigarettes to a scientist. Both of those are fairly common. Lab keys are easy enough to find with some walking around everywhere. Or you can tear the entrance down.

Speed reading should shave half to three quarter time off reading times.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 12, 2015, 02:24:11 pm »

Personally, I think that the best workaround for recipes that take forever and a day to learn would be that if you had the requisite skill and the book in your inventory, you could craft the item. After all, what would you rather do: memorize how to build a death ray, or build a death ray step-by-step from instructions?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 12, 2015, 02:24:32 pm »

Why not have CBM that allow you to download the contents of some special chips directly to your brain? You could either find a chip containing a book of interest, or use a special machine present in labs to put the content of a book on a chip.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 12, 2015, 02:27:19 pm »

Personally, I think that the best workaround for recipes that take forever and a day to learn would be that if you had the requisite skill and the book in your inventory, you could craft the item. After all, what would you rather do: memorize how to build a death ray, or build a death ray step-by-step from instructions?

You've been able to do that for, like, 700 versions now.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 12, 2015, 02:41:52 pm »

Really? Shoot. Haven't updated in a while.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 12, 2015, 04:30:33 pm »

I think that went in back around the buildup to .B, so...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 451