Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 805667 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3825 on: October 03, 2016, 04:50:10 am »

I can't find how many two by four you get from log in item browser.
A lot more than 3. So it looks like sawing them up will pay off. Perhaps splintering them even moreso, I'll have a look and see how many splinters I get from disassembling a 2x4. Thanks for the info.

EDIT:
Using a wood saw on a log, at survival level 7 if that matters, gives me 9 2x4s and 3 splintered woods.
Cutting up a 2x4 into splintered woods yields 5 splinters.
So apparently I should cut up the logs into planks for a 300% efficiency increase, but not cut those up into splinters.

Don't know if an electric circular saw or a chainsaw changes the log - plank conversion rate

Unrelated: I've finally decided to stop using the water pool room in the LMOE, and install myself in the former gun room. I always disliked how the water cuts out a tile of a 5x5 area, and this room has the added benefit of being closer to the exit. Removing the lower fence created some nice space for a charcoal kiln and smoking rack.
I found an electric jackhammer on my last raid, So I might hack a piece out of the south wall so I need to walk 15 tiles less to refill my water jerrycan. The bed next to the up stairs is for the NPC to sleep on.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:06:20 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: October 03, 2016, 06:32:51 am »

Who, did they change the LMOE layout?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: October 03, 2016, 06:34:40 am »

Yes and no. The old one also still exists, but yeah, this is a new one.

EDIT: also, as for the charcoal thing; it looks like sawing a trunk straight into planks instead of into logs further increases the amount of 2x4s you can get out of it.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: October 03, 2016, 08:11:33 am »

What can I use starch for? Mashed up some cattail rhizomes into it in my eternal winter thing, but I have literally zero clue what I can use it for. I have cooking level one, obviously. Do starch based cooking things come in at level two? If not, what can it be used for?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: October 03, 2016, 08:36:25 am »

It's description tells you that it can be used to make flour. You need 2 starch to make 1 flour though, so if you only made 1 it's useless and will rot pretty fast.

Even though there's gazillion ways of making flour, cat tails are nice in that they also yield plant fibers as a byproduct.

EDIT: haha, I barfed (probably because of the low garde meth). I then tried to mop it up by applying a mop while standing on the square.
"You mop yourself up. The universe implodes and reforms around you".
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 09:34:11 am by martinuzz »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: October 03, 2016, 10:39:56 am »

Aaaah. I have five. So I can make two flour and just eat the last one i suppose :P

And yeah. I like the easter eggs relating to using commands on yourself. IIRC, using a lockpick on yourself makes you pick your nose.

EDIT: Random bad idea of the day! Because the bad suggestion thread isn't good enough :P

We already model vitamins and stuff. Why not semi-realistically model weight and height! Make it an option in character creation that can be modified by traits, diet, and stats. Height is static after character gen, but weight will change depending on how well you've been taking care of yourself! No more waiting six days between meals as a normal everyday joe. Because being dangerously underweight's probably a bad thing :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:51:53 am by Iceblaster »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: October 04, 2016, 03:48:27 am »

My mental eye sees a morbidly obese survivor wearing a Make America Great Again cap driving around on a mobility scooter and toting two M-16's while going YEEEHAW!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: October 04, 2016, 04:11:17 am »

Holy~! That was close. I got a bit overconfident in my car. Drove over two landmines with a standard frame, barely modified flatbed. Only thing it had extra were some military composite plates on the front 5 tiles.

Miraculously, the first mine took out a wheel to grey status, the second mine ripped off the remains of that wheel. Except for a few scratches to a windshield, no further damage. I could just drive back home and get that spare tire.

So yeah, I just survived driving over two landmines xD. That's what you get for going 120km/h over unexplored grasslands.

Also, unrelated. NPCs and nail rifles go well together, after some sessions reading markmanship and rifling books out loud. I was kinda hesistant about giving my NPC a ranged weapon, but so far I've not been friendly fired upon yet. And the nail rifle is silent enough to not worry too much about the sound.
I would carry one myself, if the damn thing would only fit in the survivor harness. Neither it, nor the coilgun do, sadly.

EDIT: ohwait! A coilgun does fit in the harness, after adding a folding stock.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:28:50 am by martinuzz »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: October 04, 2016, 06:27:40 am »

Whats a LMOE?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: October 04, 2016, 07:05:54 am »

"Last Man On Earth", basically the lair of a hardcore prepper.

On the overmap, they are depicted as +, just like normal shelters, but red instead of white. Usually they're a bit secluded. They're somewhat rare, and arguably one of the best base locations that can be claimed without going through any trouble (except for the finding one part) if you don't like mobile bases.

Sure, labs make for way better bases (if only because of their freezing lower levels which should make food never spoil), but you'd need to access and clear them out first.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:13:09 am by martinuzz »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: October 04, 2016, 07:49:11 am »

LMOE also have a water source, a wood stove, some guns and ammo, some food...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: October 04, 2016, 01:25:38 pm »

I just had my first experience with factions. Found an inhabited refugee shelter. Busy doing quests now for them, and the 'Old Guard' representative on site. Good times. Dead bandits. I wonder if my NPC roommate will eat human meat products.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: October 04, 2016, 02:14:26 pm »

I just had my first experience with factions. Found an inhabited refugee shelter. Busy doing quests now for them, and the 'Old Guard' representative on site. Good times. Dead bandits. I wonder if my NPC roommate will eat human meat products.
Sounds like a much better experience than my first encounter with the refugee center.  Molotov-wielding arsonist in the front door + hostile critter (zombie or mi-go; I forget which) behind me = !!FUN!!  Thus began and ended my first encounter with the refugee center. :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: October 04, 2016, 02:30:51 pm »

Gas lamps exist, yes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 451