Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803158 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1350 on: June 16, 2015, 01:25:08 pm »

Wow. I fired one gunshot at a bandit(see ownage thread), and zombies come from miles and miles around. There were at least two shocker brutes in that horde, plus a lot of grapplers. I think I picked up the Sleepy mutation during that battle - huge boomers do that?

I haven't yet killed every last one of them, even three days later. It doesn't help that I still haven't fully shaken off the mood hit from killing the bandits, but I can finally read skillbooks again.

what are bandits? are they experimental?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 16, 2015, 03:15:31 pm »

I beieve it was an NPC shouting him to drop his weapon and he failled a roll making him hostile?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 16, 2015, 03:26:41 pm »

You can actually find bandit camps in the wood sometimes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 16, 2015, 03:51:00 pm »

Some quests can also spawn bandits.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 17, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »

'Twas a refugee center quest. After that, I got the mission to go help the farm commune, which was triple the distance(but same direction) of the bandit camp. I started making preparations to leave. Unfortunately, a massive horde homed in on the place, partly due to some twat of a random NPC firing at zombies with a loud gun. I originally wanted to make a slow move of blazing a trail with one of the motorcycles or the quad I picked up from that bandit camp, but the zombies pushed me into loading all my worldly possessions that I could fit into the van(nearly filled it, and I had to leave the 55 gallon water drums and perishable food behind). The zombies were starting to spawn on the place as I started the engine.

Next was the drive there. I stopped over the night at a farmhouse, but that direction was blocked by forests. The attempt at burning the forest down didn't help, so I went around. That route led through an absolutely massive horde. I pushed through, there was no other way. The first thing to go were the rearview mirrors, and I did not stop to pick them up. Next, a seemingly critical hit to the front end pushed the battery from yellow to red condition, which meant the alternator was not producing enough juice to keep up with the leak. I pulled right up to the ranch house just after the battery hit 0%.

Now the place is surrounded by zombies. To deal with it, I headed to a nearby town, found a house with a basement(survivalist basement with food, medicine, and a bed), blew up an explosive device a few blocks down, and camped down in the basement for a while. Drew enough of them off that I could probably fight the rest with my reinforced steel spear and caltrops.

During all this, I was perpetually tired from a combination of the Sleepy mutation and a cold. The drive away from the refugee center(before the farmhouse I found) was in a state of Dead Tired!.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 17, 2015, 03:40:25 pm »

i see next to my stamina it says "walk"

is there a way i can "run"?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 17, 2015, 03:48:17 pm »

Yes. It should be in the keybinds screen. I'm more interested in whether we'll ever be able to "sneak".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 17, 2015, 03:57:25 pm »

Assuming enemies can still see in 360 degrees I would very much like to see 'facing' introduced.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:48 pm »

Yep. Don't remember the default key but it should be in the keybindings under "Toggle move mode."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 17, 2015, 05:29:22 pm »

Assuming enemies can still see in 360 degrees I would very much like to see 'facing' introduced.
Facing is pretty much out right now for three main reasons:
1) Each turn is 6 whole seconds right now, which is plenty of time to look around.
2) It means that active play becomes a constant ballerina act, as players twirl in place to make sure they can see everything around them.

Of course there's some solutions, eventually we'd like to take the "turn" down to 1 second, but it's a bunch of work. And for the other part maybe we could add something where facing only kicks in if there are enemies nearby, else it's assumed you are constantly looking around, or maybe have a movement mode that makes you move slower but makes you constantly be checking the whole area around you. It's basically just a lot of work to do.

Number three is slightly harder, and is representing monster facing data to the player. Since it's ASCII we can't exactly put a dot on the zombie tile or something similar, so we need to come up with a way to easily allow players to see which way any given monster is facing at any given point in time.

I believe the default key bind is ".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: June 17, 2015, 05:31:23 pm »

who did it

who made skeletons just really skinny zombies

who fucked it up

who ruined cataclysm

Rivet-the-Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Official C:DDA Website
« Reply #1361 on: June 17, 2015, 06:08:24 pm »

who did it

who fucked it up

who ruined cataclysm

They've not changed. DDA's skeletons have always been really skinny zombies. We're not so far into fantasy territory that we have 'fleshless bones that have been held together with magic' walking about.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 17, 2015, 06:30:13 pm »

who did it

who fucked it up

who ruined cataclysm

They've not changed. DDA's skeletons have always been really skinny zombies. We're not so far into fantasy territory that we have 'fleshless bones that have been held together with magic' walking about.

I'm not so sure about that.
I remember bullets being able to pass through a skeletons ribs.

Rivet-the-Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Official C:DDA Website
« Reply #1363 on: June 17, 2015, 06:39:16 pm »

I'm not so sure about that.
I remember bullets being able to pass through a skeletons ribs.

They still can, and that's not changed either. I think the idea is that there's no real hydrostatic shock when you're shooting a piece of walking jerky stretched over bones, so the bullets pretty much just blast through without doing appreciable damage.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 17, 2015, 06:43:35 pm »

oh  :-[ :P
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 451