Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803301 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5955 on: January 04, 2019, 09:00:16 pm »

In your stomach, naturally.  Bottoms up.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: January 07, 2019, 09:33:55 am »

Anyone else notice that zombies sometimes spend more time punching the pavement than walking towards you? I remember there being some sort of "bash threshhold" where things wouldn't try smashing things that they literally didn't have the stats to break so that this wouldn't happen. Did that get removed at some point?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: January 07, 2019, 04:13:08 pm »

I've had the same issue as well. I might write up a bug report later.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: January 07, 2019, 04:41:10 pm »

Zombies futilely bashing at walls or fences until their hands wear down to stumps seems pretty thematic to be honest.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: January 07, 2019, 05:17:38 pm »

Fences and walls are fine. Concrete and Asphalt floors while chasing down a survivor is not.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: January 07, 2019, 07:34:17 pm »

I noticed that when autodigging my character will target sidewalks.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: January 07, 2019, 09:36:33 pm »

Why are they even punching floors to begin with?
It was added in some ancient build to allow hordes, specifically ones containing Hulks, to collapse buildings on top of you if you tried to hide or lead them through them before torching the place or tried to choke-point them at a narrow hallway. The issue is that only hordes combining their bashing power by targeting the same tile should even be attempting this since all it does is slow them down without even making enough noise to draw more zombies in.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: January 08, 2019, 02:26:52 am »

then again zombies are pretty dumb - maybe an intelligence variable for zombies, smarter ones might zero in on survivor, dumber ones would just do random stuff like punching the ground.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: January 18, 2019, 02:37:17 am »

We have a reach-weapon martial art now. It's mostly about pushing things away so you can do reach attacks and occasionally tripping your opponent. Mostly seems to encourage controlling the number of opponents in melee to make use of its block counter, but it has a cut damage buff when you move so you can kite a bit more effectively. No pierce damage boosts, but most of the damage modifiers seem to be there to bring the cutting damage on naginatas and halberds closer to the level of piercing crits.

Also most ammo doesn't cook-off anymore. Probably because the average fire resistance of their materials is too low and they just instantly burn away into nothing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: January 18, 2019, 08:37:15 am »

Meh, still not going to be a substitute for ninjutsu for me.

Though I'm sure using ninjutsu with a cavalry saber is some sort of heresy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: January 18, 2019, 01:12:25 pm »

Is it just me, or can one nolonger walk around on boats?

And the answer is that it was jsut me at a wierd time.

Meanwhile, in "lets debug-build a houseboat for amusement" news, the "lets totally delete a ship if it starts sinking" thing is getting annoying.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:22:21 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: January 18, 2019, 01:54:06 pm »

Meh, still not going to be a substitute for ninjutsu for me.

Though I'm sure using ninjutsu with a cavalry saber is some sort of heresy.
To be fair, ninjutsu is one of the better martial arts largely due to simple utility. Grab a weapon with a block/parry and a rapid attack and ninjutsu takes care of the crit technique. It's actually better offensively with katanas than niten ichi-ryu unless you made some kind of min-maxed nightmare, for instance.

Speaking of niten ichi-ryu though, it's always been a bit bad even before the damage nerf*. The slow water cut is just bad, the nodachi is a newb trap because of the water cut**, and the buffs are both utterly absurd yet still not enough to make it anything more than a below average style in most situations***.

Also, looks like the vorpal strike technique doesn't actually work on diamond-coated piercing weapons due to only applying a cutting damage multiplier. With a weighting of -250 though, vorpal strikes are mostly just an easter egg that destroys loot.

*This actually made it better since it would no longer blow up corpses. At least if you weren't just screwing around with a debug character.

**Yeah, lets spend 3 whole turns setting up the perfect cut like it's a sword demo on youtube. Nothing could possibly go wrong with all these grabbers and brutes next to me.

***Slow attacks and vulnerability to being flung around by brutes/hulks are the most noticeable flaws, but it cuts down those tankier monsters decently enough.

Edit: There was a nutrient rebalance few weeks ago. Looks like soup got a big nerf in total servings and calories. A lot of these changes don't take recipes into account, so a serving of meat soup is worse than eating the ingredients separately.

Edit2: Looks like the rebalance was solely based on an online nutritional guide. Doesn't take into account that recipes in game are way denser than whatever is listed, so most soups are actually thick stews instead of whatever watered down crap got put into the game.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:20:21 am by duckman »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: January 19, 2019, 06:09:32 pm »

Of course, another hamfisted nerf to something in the name of "realism" that doesn't even bother to be realistic. I'm shocked, positively shocked.

And yeah, that sounds like they're thinking of soup in the sense of "a can of condensed soup with twice as much water as it's meant to have" rather than the reality of home-made soups which is usually either a thick, rich broth with chunks of stuff or a mostly-solid melange of stuff with a layer of watery broth that mostly exists to allow it to slow-cook without burning and act as a substrate for nutrients that might have otherwise been cooked out.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 451