Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fetid slime?  (Read 1721 times)

richta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fetid slime?
« on: March 23, 2015, 05:00:52 pm »

I keep getting this "rain" fetid slime that horrifies my dwarves im living in a haunted biome im just wondering if there is a way to find out what exactly this slime is as its starting to cover things and giving me horrified spam

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: fetid slime?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:05:16 pm »

It sounds like you are in an evil biome. If so, that is likely evil rain.

What it does is randomized. Sometimes it doesn't do much of anything. Sometimes it can outright kill everyone.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:41:55 pm »

I keep getting this "rain" fetid slime that horrifies my dwarves im living in a haunted biome im just wondering if there is a way to find out what exactly this slime is as its starting to cover things and giving me horrified spam
It sounds like you got one of the pretty tame evil biomes.
The easiest evil weather just causes bad thoughts in your dwarves when they're caught in it.
The worst will zombify them.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

richta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:58:56 pm »

ok I was wondering if I could check its effects.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:06:52 pm »

No way to get the answer outright, as far as I know.

You have to keep an eye those who get caught in it, and see what happens to them.

richta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:55:53 pm »

any ideas as to why blocks aren't showing up when I try to build a wall? I have 26 and 24 not in a job but only logs show up when I try to build.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:33:15 pm »

It sounds like you got one of the pretty tame evil biomes.
The easiest evil weather just causes bad thoughts in your dwarves when they're caught in it.
The worst will zombify them.

only clouds zombify, clouds are MUCH worse

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 03:39:13 am »

Wall question:
It's probably an access problem. Those can be caused by several causes:
- No path. The location of the blocks cannot be reached from the building site.
- Prior selection. You're building a stretch of wall (e.g. 7 tiles), and the build site can be reached from one side or the other, but both sides are not connected. When you've selected to use one piece of building material from the inaccessible side, the options for the the rest of the segments is reduced to those on that side. Happens most frequently when building out of rocks, since you just selected e.g. "granite", and the closest boulder happened to lie on the remote side. Forbid those boulders and retry, or build from a different kind of rock.
- The blocks are in a bin, and that bin is locked by someone processing it (e.g. [about to] carrying it, or placing another block in it).
- The blocks are 'f'orbidden (e.g. after having been 'd'umped).