Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What are some nice, large, generally high quality, online communities?  (Read 5422 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

What 4chan boards would you consider high quality?
/tg/, with my obvious bias, though I also recall an old saying that describes /tg/ pretty well: it isn't about tabletop games, it's about tabletop gamers. A while back I would have said /a/, but it's lost much of whatever might have been redeemable and only kept the crap. /mu/ is generally decent, or at least accepting and prone to mocking le wrong generation types. I've heard that /s4s/ is friendly, but that's not personal knowledge and... 'tis a silly place (technically NSFW, too, duh). /co/ is pretty cool, especially since /mlp/ was split off and the argument cancer stopped. I've heard that /lgbt/ is accepting and generally chill if that's in your interests. /vg/ is the useful content from /v/ sans much of the bullshit.

But honestly, if you avoid the NSFW boards and /v/, pretty much any board is at least decent, as long as it matches your interests. /tg/'s great.

The main advantage, apart from topicality, is IMO that the nature of the board circumvents a lot of traditional forum bullshit that was also the driving factor behind me coming to B12. No ego-stroking e-peen wanking; using a name means that (a) you're running a quest, external site, or other meaningful project or (b) an egocentric prick, at least as far as the community is concerned. There's no hugboxing or mod-friend shenanigans where you get banned or muted for disagreeing with a mod or someone they like. Content is enforced roughly evenly, in the sense that there are few rules but those are enforced strictly (there's still some inconsistency and bullshit, but far less than I've seen anywhere except bullshit).

Of course, people are generally harsher/more honest, and you're going to see a lot of fucked up shit in most of the NSFW boards. That said, I'd rather take the nastiness up front rather than in behind-the-back reporting, passive-aggressiveness, &c., but I understand why people don't.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I'm not a 4chin regular, but I agree with FD, generally.
If you can stand the slurring (which generally isn't personal),it seems like a pretty nice place.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plus I am not there, double bonus!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

If you can stand the slurring (which generally isn't personal),it seems like a pretty nice place.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler for the easily offended who should stay away from chans in general:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

It's actually a rather interesting case of word reclamation and detoxification, insofar as that it wasn't consciously planned and isn't specifically associated with the group it referred to. As far as that community is concerned, it's been converted into the same sort of dual-purpose insult that you'd use to casually deride someone who is acting like an ass and as in-group jocularity where the in-group is basically anyone who wants to be part of it.

So I can see both sides of it, yeah. On the one hand, people who get genuinely offended generally seem to not actually understand what's going on linguistically, but on the other hand it is still close enough temporally for it to be understandable to be offended over what you're parsing as casual use of a really nasty slur. That's why I sort of am okay with it, though, because of that future a decade or two down the line where it's been completely removed from the vernacular as a hateful slur, which helps push for broader progressive attitudes towards sexuality.

Prescriptive vs. descriptive, the battle strikes yet again!

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

TL;DR: Obviously.

Slightly less TL;DR: It's an interesting case of linguistic development, and an even more interesting case of 4chan unintentionally doing something good in a really stupid way.

3. Run Resize Enable

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been checking out the recommended 4chan board, as well as a few others, and I can't say I agree with the high quality part. Threads are very hard to follow, generally being full of tangents or random quips, with no easy way to link sub-threads of discussion. I can get past the slurs, but the discussions themselves seem shallow so far.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been checking out the recommended 4chan board, as well as a few others, and I can't say I agree with the high quality part. Threads are very hard to follow, generally being full of tangents or random quips, with no easy way to link sub-threads of discussion. I can get past the slurs, but the discussions themselves seem shallow so far.
4chan is generally an ocean of piss with a few true gems at the bottom. You have to be willing to swim through the piss.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

True enough. The difference is that most online communities don't actually have any gems at the bottom, just bladder stones.

3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:42:35 pm by penguinofhonor »

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

4chan is generally an ocean of piss with a few true gems at the bottom. You have to be willing to swim through the piss.

I don't think something can be considered both generally high quality and an ocean of piss. Even if it has a few gems.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My view on the 4chan slur thing is the same as my view on white people who say they use the n-word to mean "an ignorant person". You say you're helping, but I just see you trying to rationalize your offensive behavior.
When have 4chan users in general ever given a shit what anyone thinks about them being "offensive"?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:43:11 pm by penguinofhonor »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

My view on the 4chan slur thing is the same as my view on white people who say they use the n-word to mean "an ignorant person". You say you're helping, but I just see you trying to rationalize your offensive behavior.
Wait, is this actually a thing? Because I've spent pretty much all of my life in the South, a lot of it in rural areas, and I can't recall ever seeing this happen. That's not to say that I haven't run into plenty of incredibly racist assholes, but the only people who use the n-word in contexts other than "I am a racist white hick who wants to pretend to superiority, and you are inferior because you are black," are black people.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4