Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What are some nice, large, generally high quality, online communities?  (Read 5421 times)

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An online community being something like a forum, facebook, reddit, etc.

I'm looking for some new places to hang out online.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile

I've mostly abandoned Bay12 for SpaceBattles and SufficientVelocity

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've mostly abandoned Bay12 for SpaceBattles and SufficientVelocity

I have a feeling you're a sci-fi fan ;)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Have you considered 4chan?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

4chan: nice and generally high quality. You heard it here first folks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ehh I am just waiting for people to say Twitter :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

If you don't stray into the shitty boards, yeah. The better boards are some of the best sources of high-quality work and discussion you're liable to find in public-access networks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It depends on what part of 4chan. Some of the /vg/ generals are actually really good. Most of it lives up to the common held beliefs though.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:39:33 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Okay, that's a fair point. "Nice" might not actually apply. Sorry on that count.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

If we're using 'nice' as a metric, B12 is the only place I'd even consider recommending.

e: and this
People pick out the funniest stuff and share it everywhere, but I don't know how representative the "best ofs" are of the average discussion.
isn't an accurate perspective, especially coming from someone who doesn't actually use the boards. I learn new things and encounter someone interesting in just about every decent sized /tg/ thread, despite the board maymays and perpetual arguments. Even if we're just judging by the stuff that hits critical mass for popularity, it'd be telling that so much of it comes from the chans in comparison to other popular boards; more than a little of reddit, imgur, &c. is devoted to recycling content from 4chan.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:41:32 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Is there a board where people don't constantly use slurs? That'd be one of my base requirements for "nice."
That'sh not very nishe, mish. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What 4chan boards would you consider high quality?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

The people on Ashley Madison are super friendly.  People there always give each other compliments and say they want to get to know you better.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4