Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Polls

Are
Dumb

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45

Author Topic: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!  (Read 53048 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:00:11 am »

Congratulations to our very first champion!
Hodekin the Legendary Decapitator
And his manager: _Italics_
Tourney II Will begin on June 14th be ready!

An Introduction

What is this?

A Fight to the death! Dwarf, Human, Elf, and countless other creatures locked in Mortal Kombat!
Arrows Flying! Swords Slashing! Blood and Guts Spread Across the Arena Floor!

To what end?

Countless Riches? No
Honor? Glory? Fame? Perhaps
To be recognized as the strongest, fastest, or cleverest? Most Assuredly
But most importantly, to earn the title:

CHAMPION OF THE ARENA

You'll be the best! Songs will be song about your skills in the ring! Your name will never be forgotten!

At least until the next tournament, of course.

Who came up with this?

It wasn't me, I assure you! In fact, it was our lovely friends at the SomethingAwful forums who deserve the credit.   
One Bard, in particular, deserves high praise indeed!
He is the Founder of the Fight, the Mediator of Discord, the Grand Master himself!

Vox Nihili

We are but feint imitators in comparison

What Format Will the Tournaments Take?

There are many possibilities: Single-Elimination, Double Elimination, Round Robin, etc. It could be Team based, or a Free For All!. The format for any particular tournament will be decided by the Arena Master beforehand.     

How many people can join a tournament?

It Depends on the format and how much interest there is! However, typical sizes are 16, 32, or 64.

How do I join?

It's easy! Usually you'll just have to post a message declaring your interest, and include your Gladiator's name and race!

I don't know much about Dwarf Fortress. What race is best? What Weapons and Armor should I use?

Only the base essentials are provided in the thread. Since this is competitive, its up to you to figure out whats best. Feel free to ask any questions in the thread or on the forums. A good source of information is the Dwarf fortress wiki found at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there! Its me, your (hopefully) next arena master. The last time I believe this particular format has been used was way back in 2011, I could be wrong though. Anyway, I know what you're thinking, "You are just necroing things from the distant past!" Yeah well, there's a lot to be taken from the past, things to enjoy, things to learn -- Get over it. Some changes will likely be made to accommodate the newest version of Dwarf Fortress and I sure wouldn't mind your input! on the system. Here is a link to the last, to my knowledge, use of this tournament: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65911.0

I want to gauge interest in this sort of thing, because I am truly interested in it. Without further ado:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overview and Rules
These Rules( including the point system ) were originally developed by the esteemed Vox Nihili at the SomethingAwful forums, and were changed throughout the incarnations.

The Arena Master

The Arena Master runs the tournament. His or Her duties are extensive. They include, but are not limited to, the following: Maintaining and updating these rules, recruitment, running the battles and writing commentary, and settling all disputes that may arise in a just and timely manner. It is essential that the Arena Master remain fair and unbiased. I, Unraveller, shall humbly serve in as the Arena Master for this tournament, and pray that I didn't miss some post that banned these kind of games.

Joining as a Gladiator

Before the start of a tournament the Arena Master will decide on the tournament format, including whether or not a gladiator's skills and equipment will be known to all or kept secret. The first is called a Open Tournament and the latter is called a Blind tournament. The tournament format will also dictate the number of gladiators who may join, or at least a series of upper limits. For example, in a single elimination tournament typical sizes are 16, 32, 64, etc. In order to join, all you must do is announce your intention to join in this thread, along with your Gladiator's name and race. If its an open tournament, you will need to post your skills and equipment purchases in the thread before the start of the first match, while in a blind tournament you must send them directly to the Arena Master.

In the event that too many Gladiators wish to spill their blood, the Arena Master may, at his or her discretion: extend the joining period, deny entry outright to the extra combatants, or call for a battle royal to decide who gets the final spot in the tournament. It's first come first serve*, so sign up as early as possible.

*In future tournaments, gladiators who fought in the preceding tournament will have the right-of-way, and a non-random seeding system may be implemented.

About the Tournament

The subsequent post will lay out the details of the current tournament, including whether or not it will be an open or blind tournament, what system it will follow(Single-Elimination, Round Robin, etc.), whether or not its a team game, etc. If there is something that is not clear, please ask.

The Arena

The fighting will take place in a variety of different stages as seen below. The two contestants will agree on a stage to be selected. If they cannot come to a mutual agreement one will be randomly selected.

Spoiler: Klassic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heat Stroke (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Castletop (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Peaceful Meadows (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Water Hazard (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vertigo (click to show/hide)

The Version

The newest version of DF will be used assuming combat and other relevant game mechanics weren't broken. The same version will be used throughout the tournament. The version being used for the current tournament will be listed in the Tournament overview in the next post.

The Races

The most important decision you'll have to make before the start of the tournament is what race your gladiator will be. Which race you chose will determine what equipment you can use, how much damage you can inflict, grant you special abilities, or even extra limbs.

Your race will also determine how many points you get to spend on equipment and skills before each round.  This is mainly for balance reasons, but also to represent smaller creatures cleverness.

The most important distinction between the races, besides the points they receive, is their size. Size effects the amount of damage they will inflict*, and their ability to knock their opponent over. Gladiators that have been knocked over have a nasty tendency to get pulverized(unless they are wearing some nice armor), and is thus a position you'll wish to avoid. Thus, the ability to dodge out of the way is often a crucial skill for smaller players to have. For this reason, races classified as "tiny" get a 10% reduction in the price of dodging skills while races classified as "huge" must pay 20% more.

*smaller creatures can generally match their larger counterparts in slashing and stabbing attacks, but bigger opponents are much better at bashing and punching

Some of the more fanciful races have different or extra appendages compared to your average humanoid. This may allow them to wield extra weaponry or armor, but it also may mean they can't use certain items. These differences are listed under the special abilities category.

Races may also have special abilities. For instance, many of the animal-like races can bite in unarmed combat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Points are the life blood any worthy gladiator. The way you spend them will determine your success in the ring.

As stated in the previous section, the amount of points you get to spend before the tournament depends on your gladiator's race. If you manage to win a match, you will earn the same amount of points to spend on the next round. You do not have to spend any points to heal yourself.

You may spend points on Equipment and Skills, which are summarized below.

Any points left unspent at the end of a round are doubled, for example. Wundle the Crundle has 34 points remaining from the first round. If he reaches the second he would have 68 points in addition to the points he gains from being a Crundle.

Skills

Your gladiator can purchase skills before the start of each round. Skills can be upgraded as many  as 14 times, the first level being Novice and the last being Grand Master.

The first level of each skill is assigned a base price, and the price of each subsequent level is equal to the base price of the skill multiplied by the level of the skill you are purchasing. For example, if your gladiator was a Level 2("Adequate") fighter and wished to purchase the 4th level, it would cost 3 * 3 + 3 * 4 f=  9 points. 3 is the base cost and does not change, multiplied by the levels to be purchased. Note that the cost is cumulative: you must buy all the preceding levels!

What each skill does is fairly self explanatory. Please go to the Dwarf Fortress wiki or ask on the forums if you are unfamiliar with any particular skill.

Equipment

As you've probably surmised, your gladiator will be able to purchase an assortment of equipment, made out of various materials, to wield  in the arena. Equipment can be divided up into two categories: Weapons and Armor.

Note that you cannot make weapons, shields or bucklers, out of leather.

You may sell back equipment before each round for half its original value. You may NOT sell skills back.

A longsword has a base price of 24; if its made of of steel, which has a "cost multiplier" of 4, the total value will be 96 points.

Materials

Materials have gotten complicated in Dwarf Fortress of late. In terms of combat, though, materials have 3 primary properties: Weight, Edge, and Stopping Power. [I take no credit for this chart, its taken directly from the SA thread]

Weapons

Weapons and Shields(including bucklers), are held in your gladiator's hands. Depending on the race, it may take one-hand or 2-hands to wield any particular object, or they may not be able to wield it at all. Please look at the Race table for a summary. Unless you are fighting unarmed, you should try to use all your hands in combat. Once again, if you have any questions about the abilities a weapon or piece of armor, please feel free to ask, but check the wiki first.

Bows come with 35 free arrows and Crossbows with 35 free bolts and are the same material as the ranged weapon.

Armour

Generally, you can only wear one of any type of armour. Think in terms of body parts, and test your combination out in dwarf fortress to see if it works. If you (or I) notice a problem after the current round is underway, it can't be fixed until the current round is over. For example, you can't wear both leggings and greaves or low boots and high boots at the same time. There are two exceptions though: you may wear a leather cap under a helm, and you may wear a (non-leather) mail shirt under a breast plate. Gloves, Gauntlets and boots come in sets of two. Also note that shields take up a hand-slot, and aren't worn as such. Shields may also be used as weapons and are dependent on the Misc. object skill.

Google Document
All the rules and spreadsheets are available as a Google document. Check it out here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmCZedymX32wdDBVX3hXMHUzamo5WkRfX2pDQjVQNWc&hl=en&authkey=CKC3xsAO If you find any errors please tell me.

Conclusion
   That *should* cover everything. A summary and overview are covered in the next post. In the future, there will be an additional History section where past tournaments will be recorded, and perhaps a gladiator history as well space permitting. What follows is a history of the rule changes. Right now, it only shows the modifications I made to the SA rules.

Rule Changes

From SA 3nd edition
-Removed Werewolf due to were-beasts being randomized in arena after every load
-Added Crundle, Plump Helmet Man, and Sasquatch races
-Added stage select
-Removed superficial attribute modifiers.
-Removed Slade as a material

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:14:05 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:00:34 am »

Settings
Format: Classic single elimination tournament, bracket style.
Open Play: Post the fact that you wish to enter as a mighty gladiator and add your skills and equipment when you get the chance.
Number of Participants: 22 - 16 qualifying for the elimination bracket
Version:  0.40.24
Initial Seeding: Randomly generated numbers by myself, to simulate each gladiator pulling 'em from a box.

Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Qualifying Round (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Qualifying Round II (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tourney Bracket (click to show/hide)

If you prefer, you may view the bracket here.

Spoiler: Eliminations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quarter Finals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Semi-Finals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Finals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fan Art (click to show/hide)

Well then, I hope I'm not missing anything. And I sure hope that this will actually garner some attention. And I REALLY hope that you will all enjoy this. I am as dedicated as I could be to see this through to the end, I hope that you will join me. GOOD LUCK!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:57:56 pm by Unraveller »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 02:04:22 pm »

Definitely looks fun. I'll join up. Won't be able to send any gladiator information until a bit later tonight after work though.

We'll call my gladiator Varick if you want a name now, though.  :P
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:07:13 pm »

Excellent! Our first gladiator, welcome Varick. Take as long as you need to get set up and ready. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Oh, and just so you know, race and name will be public, however skills and equipment will not be, at least for the beginning. As I'm not entirely savvy on having others build to counter but I dunno we'll see.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:24:51 pm by Unraveller »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »

I do not understand how to play.  Can you give a TL;DR of "how to gladiator"?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 03:07:44 pm »

Ah, yes of course, forgive me if the post was unclear. Essentially, you do not play. The managers (being you) purchase equipment and skills for their gladiator with the points derived from their race. Afterwards, when there are sufficient gladiators they will be placed randomly in a single elimination bracket in which they will duke it out with their fellow gladiators in combat.

I shall place each of the characters in the object testing arena, in a stage that they have selected. They will be AI controlled so it comes down to your race as well as your choices in equipment and skills. After the battle I will write out a detailed description of the fight as well as the battle log, perhaps a gif as well.

Does that explain it well enough?

FearsomeClarinet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:16:10 pm »

How urgent is this? Like, how long do we have to sign up? I would love to spend the weekend crunching numbers for it, and I definitely can't make a character today.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 03:20:10 pm »

There should be plenty of time, after all I was thinking of having the minimum number of players at 16. Though that could be brought down if there isn't enough interest. There is certainly enough time to do what you need.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 03:29:38 pm »

UPDATED after the unfair treatment of Minotaurs, Asbjorns goal is to beat everyone and make the Gladiator Game Master pay for the vile treatment of his entire race.

-Asbjorn The Elf-Eater-
Minotaur - 140p

Adequate Hammer 18p
Adequate Shield 12p

Silver Warhammer - 26p
Oak Shield - 45p
Copper high boots - 12,5p
Copper gauntles - 10p
Copper helm - 15p
Points left: 1,5p

Edited.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:22:04 am by Dibuk »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 03:36:34 pm »

Yep, that is as right as rain. However I was planning on keeping the builds out of the open. But while we are on the subject do you think it'd be better to have builds posted publicly here or rather PMed to me. I feel leaving them in the open will allow for more discussion, though there may also be a ton of countering and such. Any thoughts?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 04:01:44 pm »

I get the idea that later players would be able to counter earlier ones, but ... no one actually knows who they're going to be up against, and I would think building to counter ANY of 15 players would be very difficult as well.

If it was going to be teams or we knew who we were gonna fight ahead of time it might be more problematic, but since we don't and it's randomly selected honestly I don't see the harm in posting them for this format.

(If you decide to post them, I just PM'd my entrant.)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 04:06:12 pm »

You know, that is a quite good point. Let them be open for all to see. So that everyone can trash each other. Or at the very least confirm that no one is cheating with the point values and such.

Desolate Domain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 04:28:44 pm »

I will be playing as:

-Portabelo the Delicious-
Plump Helmet Man - 270 points to spend
[Equipment]
Adamantite Spear - 240 pts
[Skills]
Adequate (2) Spearman - 15 pts
Adequate (2) Dodger - 15 pts
0 pts left

He'll skewer the competition!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 04:33:53 pm »

Excellent, I'm pretty sure you're good. I shall add you to the list.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 04:41:40 pm »

Varick the Flighty - Cutebold Kobold

Kobold (290 pts)

[Equip]
Steel Dagger - 64 pts

[Skills]
Expert ( 8 ) Dodger (Tiny) - 144 pts
Skilled (4) Fighting - 30 pts
Skilled (4) Knife - 50 pts

Total: 288 pts, 2 remaining

Edit: And thanks to Unraveller for pointing out me being unable to do basic math in PMs.  :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45