Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2837 2838 [2839] 2840 2841 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5841686 times)

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42570 on: July 31, 2015, 02:42:43 am »

Just hit this HUGE spire of clown candy. Only 20 z levels bellow my fortress and more than enough to equip 30 or so dwarves with plate.

On top of this for some reason the Necromancer tower hasn't sent anything nasty at me, within the first year the goblin civ was killed. This savage embark has turned out to be too easy. I'll just have to hope some form of !!FUN!! comes in the future.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42571 on: July 31, 2015, 05:01:15 am »

Just hit this HUGE spire of clown candy. Only 20 z levels bellow my fortress and more than enough to equip 30 or so dwarves with plate.

On top of this for some reason the Necromancer tower hasn't sent anything nasty at me, within the first year the goblin civ was killed. This savage embark has turned out to be too easy. I'll just have to hope some form of !!FUN!! comes in the future.

With that spire, I think you know where you can find some!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42572 on: July 31, 2015, 05:15:26 am »

That kinda fun is a little hard to deal with using adamantine. Though with training machines, I'd like to see it tried.
One wheel short of a wagon

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42573 on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:29 am »

I have a question.

Is it possible to burrow soldiers until they almost starve to death, and then use a lever to open a door to food while they're burning much of their fat? I'm sick of my corpulent axedwarves being slow movers, and I don't want to take the time to train them.

You should be able to accomplish this simply by burrowing them in a place with no food. They won't leave the burrow unless they're starving/dying of thirst. (Or are vampires.)

Oh, I didn't know that they could leave burrows at all. Thanks for letting me know.

Burrows are really useful if you know how they work. A civilian burrow (dwarves assigned through the burrow menu) assignment means that any assignees will only take jobs inside the burrow, unless they're starving or dehydrated. Military alert burrowing means "all civilians run here now!", and finally, the military Patrol Burrow order is just what it says on the tin.

As to your fat axedwarves, training really will beef then up and boost their stats. What's actually causing them to move slowly is almost certainly lack of armor user skill--armor is heavy, and it takes a while to learn to move in it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42574 on: July 31, 2015, 08:42:11 am »

That reminds me, on my next fort, I should stop using super-soldiers.
One wheel short of a wagon

customlemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a morning person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42575 on: July 31, 2015, 09:18:48 am »

Embarked right outside of an elven settlement to try something new.

Now this happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think they will fit right in.
Needs !!FUN!! to get through the working day

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42576 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18:40 am »

Wait, does DFhack now tell you the time of the dwarven day?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:23:39 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

customlemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a morning person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42577 on: July 31, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »

I used the 'markdown' command from the combat log,  and got it like this :D
Needs !!FUN!! to get through the working day

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42578 on: July 31, 2015, 03:50:40 pm »

Well part of my first cavern layer happens to look like the magma sea for the moment. I forgot that I had a vulnerable floodgate in what was supposed to be a forgotten beast trap. Well one crawled up into it, when I wasn't looking, and destroyed the flood gate (which is why I almost never use them anymore when I can build magma/fb safe bridge-gates. Well the trap worked I guess. I just figured the FB wandered off because I no longer saw him in the unit list. I just couldn't figure out why it was taking my pump stack so long to fill up my topside magma reservoir. I had been pumping for probably close to month when I was zooming up to the upper Z-levels one time and saw bright red everywhere in the first cavern. I've about obsidianized all the water there already, which is kind of annoying because I went through the hassle of engineering a way to refill those pools after another FB evaporated all of the water in them.

I guess there's worse place you could have an accidental, colossal magma spill.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:24:46 pm by Bakaridjan »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42579 on: July 31, 2015, 04:09:28 pm »

Seizuregalleys sits in a Sinister wasteland near a dark fortress.  Despite over 1.5m wealth, the goblins have (thus far) ignored it.  Only 1 FB has troubled us... too few by far.  I tell you, Urist, it's too quiet!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42580 on: July 31, 2015, 04:24:24 pm »

The goblins came back again, maybe 30 strong.  Well more than I could take in open combat atm, they've been sending their merlock recruits over the wall one at a time, with an occassional xbowgob sniping at a stray gazer or soldier.  I had light infantry stationed topside the whole time, so no biggie.  But then they killed a Roc :(

Also a sneaky caccodemon murderized my expert animal trainer :( :(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:26:10 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42581 on: July 31, 2015, 06:48:41 pm »

When the highlight of the fort's year is this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You begin to wonder why you settled an Evil area at all.

In other news, all of my engravers are obsessed with Rocs.  We have engravings of 4 Rocs, all with Legendary names, killing this one, that one and the other one over the centuries here in the Spires of Pus.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42582 on: August 01, 2015, 10:40:09 am »

OGD.

A green glass spider is playing footsies with my fort, tying up soldiers in the first cavern as is dodges into and out of pathing to my fort.  I assume its killing critters on the far bank we cant see.

Topside, we're doing major aesthetic construction, and thats tying up most of my haulers who arent putting bodies into tombs (or even digging the, if they're miners).  The animal trainers are being slow about chaining up our captured cave crocs.  The babbies need to flow, plz.  At least we got an arena dug out and we're smoothing it slowly.

In the 3rd cavern Ive dug out an experiemental magma pump, as my first ever large-scal pump stack (over 10zlevels) Ive ever tried.  We have packs of crundles constantly canceling jobs and then the civies wrestle them to death.  The occasion giant critter comes by and thankfully have thus far fallen to my glass weapon traps.  A Giant Fire Snake has just crawled out of the magma for my first fortress-mode test of the 20.000.000cm3 beast.  It has an abysmall attack (tail slapping and biting with its fire teeth) but makes up for it with its size and ability to shake you to pieces.  And its also hotter than magma, so . . .

So a relatively boring fort that considers itself lucky if it sees 3 bars of steel and  5 bars of iron a year is now turning into a slow grind of potential funzies.
PKs DF Mod!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42583 on: August 01, 2015, 03:02:46 pm »

i got attacked by my first forgotten beast... over whelmed him with my mobs of dwarves. he killed 7.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42584 on: August 01, 2015, 05:19:12 pm »

Seizuregalleys went south due to the unexpected entrance of a webby FB made of opal.  Hate webs.  Hate them so much.

Funnily enough, the entire (surviving) population of Seizuregalleys seems to have relocated to the other side of the mountains with me, where Gravelsear is coming along nicely in a haunted mountain area.  The unholy murk causes instant unconsciousness, so I have stun-clouds that are going to make any sieges kind of a joke.  I also have tons of iron, coal and dolomite.  Boy is this going to be a rich fort.

Still keeping an eye out for one of these rocs.

Only news thus far is that my Jeweler and my Metalcrafting miner have a grudge with each other... hopefully this won't lead to brawling.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:21:39 pm by Iamblichos »

Pages: 1 ... 2837 2838 [2839] 2840 2841 ... 3836