Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3809 3810 [3811] 3812 3813 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788256 times)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57150 on: January 20, 2023, 11:42:00 pm »

Necromancers and Goblins seem to be extinct in my half of the world, so I've been working on other endeavors. I have tons of legendary soldiers, and I'm breeding cave monsters for sale. Struggling with Elk Birds, Armok has a sick sense of humor making a ravenous grazer who lays eggs.

One of my legendary Town guards beat a local dwarf to death with his bare hands. The first punch to the jugular would've ensured he would die, an artery torn and spinal damage, but the cop kept punching until his head "collapsed". He was caught stealing an artifact crown. Afterwards I interviewed a tavern visitor about it, he admitted it readily that he told the Planter to steal it, and then he left the fort unharmed. Even though I said arrest him, I guess the guards needed to take a break for biscuits or something because they didn't stop him.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57151 on: January 22, 2023, 07:49:57 pm »

My queen sent ~20 dwarves to jail, including several children, for bringing shields to the trade depot, which I sold and then the traders left. The ban on shield exports didn't come until the traders were leaving
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57152 on: January 22, 2023, 08:13:24 pm »

It took 9 years, but I finally got a result:

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57153 on: January 23, 2023, 08:56:16 am »

My queen sent ~20 dwarves to jail, including several children, for bringing shields to the trade depot, which I sold and then the traders left. The ban on shield exports didn't come until the traders were leaving
Better to ambush the merchants, kill them all and start a civil war than risk the wrath of the queen.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57154 on: January 24, 2023, 05:37:09 am »

While getting ready to venture into another cavern layer, I got 16 notifications of Cavern dwellwers! all back to back, before the sound effect could finish.  All of them arrived in an unexplored corner of the map.  And I just found out that I can click randomly in the unexplored tiles and see what's there.  Looks like a lot of cave fish people with blow guns, and they've already ran into a web spitting forgotten beast.  There was a strong wave of forgotten beasts arriving earlier, so I don't expect the cavern dwellers to last long.  None of the dwarves are super unhappy yet, so I haven't formed an exploration squad to properly reveal the area.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57155 on: January 26, 2023, 08:08:18 am »

Playing the new free version and getting used to the interface. Some things I like, some things I miss not being able to do.

I got surprised by the new trigger for the monarch arriving. The queen arrived in early spring of the fort’s sixth year and I scrambled to make sufficiently royal quarters for the her. Her first action was to ban export of large gems which I had already traded to the elves. Second action was to demand the creation of a new large gem. I hate her already.

Also since she arrived, every single baron count and duke are permanently visiting my fort. Nobody uses my tavern bedrooms. When they decide to leave the map it’s just a short time before they arrive on a different map edge… less time than it would take to **walk* there. I just wish my duchess could have spent all her time away from the fortress when it wasn’t the capital.

Let me add that before I opened up my tavern to all visitors, the nobles and diplomat were having their discussions in the hospital, while admiring a tastefully placed bed and sublime traction bench. I have a feeling they started in the tavern but then my diplomat was served too much booze and was carried to the hospital to sleep it off and just carried on the meeting where he was. My hospital is bare unadorned rock with cheap furniture. After I opened up the tavern they did eventually migrate there. No odd or shady visitors though: I think that’s because I have so many nobles they fill up the visitor limit. Luckily they don’t make mandates to MY fort.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 06:50:56 am by lazygun »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57156 on: January 26, 2023, 03:10:42 pm »

I'm in the same boat, my fort is flooded with noble visitors at all times. And then there's the visitors trying to steal artifacts
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57157 on: January 27, 2023, 10:46:23 am »

The dwarves of Arrowsound are currently engaged in several experiments of industry management in preparation for an expedition into the untamed wilds. The manager is working overtime to coordinate all the different workshops and projects and the overseer is learning valuable lessons in reducing micromanagement.

The fledgling axedwarf squad recently scouted bits of the first cavern layer with no armor save for steel shields, and were able to take down a giant earthworm with no injuries. The worm's mangled corpse failed to yield as much meat as was hoped, but it was a boost of confidence for the entire fort that they were effective enough with only three months of training. A while later, a manera managed to sneak into the central staircase and attacked a dwarf, but once again no injuries occurred. The doctor's guild has mixed feelings regarding this, as they have been leading several demonstrations in their new guildhall but as of yet have had no need to actually use their skills.

A petition to create a temple to the Tenebrous Fellowship has been fulfilled, with numerous steel statues decorating the vast polished chamber. Many are complaining that the statues are of technically low quality, as the fort lacks any sort of skilled blacksmith, but the steel is shiny enough to make up for it.

A magma forging area has recently been set up, with plans for several minecart tracks to be set up to supply a forging burrow. Plans have been drawn up for multiple tracks to be created to transfer ore, flux, coke, food, and drink down to the burrow, as well as a line to take finished goods to the surface. It remains to be seen whether or not a simple push will be enough to get carts back to the surface or if the carts must be guided or rollers need to be installed. Also of interest is to see how descending carts react to high speed and sharp turns as they descend.

The main thing causing worry in this experiment of a fortress though is the attempt to create a profitable clothing industry. Underproduction in the farms has led to a faltering production line, and the fortresses main planter is requesting the establishment of a farming guildhall to train up new planters. Plans are also in place to wall off a section of the caverns and transfer the farms from the surface burrow to richer soil.

Finally, while the dwarves are beginning to work out the kinks in setting up a functioning minecart system, aforementioned production issues have revealed that the system isn't worth it at the moment. The original fortress plans called for a milling burrow near the river where dimple cups, sweet pods, and cave wheat would be taken to be milled, but it seems there simply aren't enough crops to be milled to justify the system yet.

The citizens of Arrowsound will continue to advance Dwarven knowledge of fortress layout and infrastructure though, knowing that future expeditions to far off lands will benefit from what they have learned here.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57158 on: January 27, 2023, 11:37:31 pm »

I have learned not to send dwarves on missions.

I thought I'd give the mission feature a try by sending two squads--one moderately skilled hammerdwarves, the other basically all axe lords--to demand tribute from a nearby place. As in, a place less than a day way. Three tiles away from my fortress.

It's been three in-game months and they haven't returned. Love to lose half my military to bugs.

Also the trade depot is completely bugged and there's mechants just sitting there even though they can clearly get out:

EDIT: One of my weaponsmiths just had a mood and made a silver war hammer. The game itself is mocking me.

EDIT2: I tried everything from dfhack's retrieve-units to several other methods of fixing this bug. nothing worked. I retired the fortress and checked legends and all of the dwarves in the squads are still alive. I unretired the fort and now somehow everyone has a bed but also nobody has a bedroom according to dfhack and also since one of the dwarves in the squads was my bookkeeper I don't have any kind of detailed stocks and ALSO another one was my broker so no fucking trading I guess. Christ. This is so bullshit. I put DAYS into this fort and this bug just blew up half of my operations.

How can there be 137 owned bedrooms but also no one has a bedroom!??!?!? I can literally just [q] over all the beds and they all say they belong to someone but apparently they don't? Christ I'm just gonna spawn in a dragon and burn everyone to death and start a new fortress, screw this, and I'm also going to DEFINITELY never ever EVER send a squad on a mission in this new one.

What a pathetic whimper of an end for Motharrows. Blown apart by a bug I couldn't predict at all.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 01:01:44 am by YashaAstora »

Homo carbonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57159 on: January 31, 2023, 04:54:51 pm »

I have learned not to send dwarves on missions.

I thought I'd give the mission feature a try by sending two squads--one moderately skilled hammerdwarves, the other basically all axe lords--to demand tribute from a nearby place. As in, a place less than a day way. Three tiles away from my fortress.

It's been three in-game months and they haven't returned. Love to lose half my military to bugs.
Maybe they all died?

I lost my previous fortress to a forgotten beast: "A great mite made of fire". According to Legends it died of injuries sustained in the battle. I sent a dwarf to explore the ruins and when he came back he was on fire. Melted into a puddle of dwarf grease on the border of the embark area.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57160 on: January 31, 2023, 06:50:15 pm »

I checked legends and they were all alive.

It doesn't matter. The fort was pretty boring--chill, admittedly, but nothing happened besides goblin sieges my military destroyed without issue. All I did was make endless hordes of gold crafts and lavish roasts and then buy crap from the caravans. I plan to start a new fort in a more difficult place and hopefully with more crap happening.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57161 on: January 31, 2023, 10:08:18 pm »

Animals seem to be picking sides in our conflicts.  Cows.  Ducks.  Is that normal?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57162 on: February 04, 2023, 01:28:20 am »

So of course I had to do something weird in my test fort. I got my whole fort summoning peons to see if they'd do work, until I had about 40 of them and wasn't seeing any of them doing any work, so of course I took the dwarves out of the equation; I had all the dwarves locked in a flooding chamber, and drowned them. The game didn't end, the entire fort is composed of 40 peons and three familiars at the moment. No nobles. So Ive had the peons continue to summon more. Which they are doing thanks to the boiling rock inhalation again, since neither peons nor familiars eat or drink.

Maybe once I hit 50+ one of them will get elected mayor and I can start assigning nobles again.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57163 on: February 04, 2023, 07:21:30 pm »

A naked elf poet has arrived to visit the tavern, she is holding a named elf skull totem. Apparently she heard the tavern was the place to enjoy yourself.

Previously a Giant turned up, holding an artifact dwarven short sword, now on display in a museum.

(playing a v47 fort of a modded drow civilisation)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57164 on: February 04, 2023, 10:17:27 pm »

Playing a modded version of the game where I made playable D&D-style reptilian kobolds.

I've been experimenting with aboveground constructions with clay, since doing it with wood inevitably leads to an unsightly mishmash of colors in the buildings.  Either that, or you have to waste a ton of wood if you only stick to one type of wood.  And it relies on trees.

I quickly discovered that raw clay is almost as heavy as stone, which means that constructions are very, very slow while the kobolds haul it around.  So, I decided to try making bricks using charcoal.  That's no better in efficiency than making wooden blocks from cut trees, but would at least produce consistent looking buildings.

...except I then discovered that you only get 1 brick per piece of clay and charcoal, so it's actually way worse than just using wood.

So... back to just building with raw clay.  At least the buildings look like they're made out of blocks, and are nice and consistently colored!

And then some migrants showed up, with one being a necromancer who's prone to anger and has short patience.  He's stayed angry pretty much since he arrived, but hasn't animated anything yet.  I need to look up how that works since I get the feeling he's a time bomb waiting to blow the moment something dies on the map.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 3809 3810 [3811] 3812 3813 ... 3835