Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3825 3826 [3827] 3828 3829 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861723 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57390 on: September 24, 2023, 09:42:27 pm »

Its just so slow now. Not sure if dfhack has actually been updated for 50.10, so i have no way to extinguish the fire.
If you channel down from the z-level above a fire, and designate it as a pond zone and use the bucket brigade method like you do to muddy up an area for a farm, you will extinguish the fire eventually, something I found when I had a fire going on for literally years after a dragon attack.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57391 on: September 25, 2023, 03:53:16 pm »

The 54th year of Gravearmor.

Population drops from 624 to 619 after a swordmaster dwarf goes nuts in a temple and kills 3, is killed, and 1 other dies in the fighting.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57392 on: September 28, 2023, 03:40:28 am »

Its just so slow now. Not sure if dfhack has actually been updated for 50.10, so i have no way to extinguish the fire.
If you channel down from the z-level above a fire, and designate it as a pond zone and use the bucket brigade method like you do to muddy up an area for a farm, you will extinguish the fire eventually, something I found when I had a fire going on for literally years after a dragon attack.

Sadly that wouldnt have helped, as the fire was spreading too fast and was too close to the trapped dwarves. Thankfully almost all of them survived; only one was reported missing afterwards. I have no idea beyond tha how it played out because I left the game running while i went to use the restroom and the situation was already resolved by then.

Since then i havent reopened that cavern again. Will have to get back to that eventually, still want to excavate the rest of the spire.

Have been invaded a few times, by both goblins and orks. There was one goblin who got his arm messed up in the traps before anyone else got inside and decided to turn around. I sent the squads out to take the rest down before they decided to retreat, and slaughtered nearly all of them in the tunnels and several more on the surface, probably only a handful made it to the map edge. Havent attracted the monarch yet...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57393 on: September 30, 2023, 12:40:35 am »

The agitated wildlife near Relicscales is getting out of hand.

Over the course of a game year or so, I lost 4 kobolds to them.  The two goblin sieges resulted in a grand total of one injury where a bolt broke someone's knee through his armor.

But no, the agitated giant hamsters and flies will be the death of me.  I have a curtain wall and strategically placed weapon traps near the gates to catch intruders, and yet I still find out that there's a giant hamster around because I get a notification it just killed someone.  It managed to get past the walls, weapon traps, and who knows how many kobolds to get to my central stairwell and start a fight with a weaver.

The giant flies are much worse since they fly over the walls.  A mob of ~30 kobold civilians killed a few before my military showed up, so I got complacent.  The next time they arrived, I sent my military up to the ramparts to intercept them, at which point the flies promptly killed a whelp and one of my bowmen.  A kobold out in the woods is then killed by another set of flies I didn't even know about.

All told, in one game year I must have killed 15-20 agitated giant flies, 3 agitated giant camels, 3-4 agitated giant hamsters, 1 agitated giant grizzly bear, 1 agitated giant opossum, and maybe 20 goblins.  Of the lot, the flies and hamsters were by far the deadliest.  At least I got a bit of catharsis by watching a dog break a giant hamster's neck by shaking it around by the head, then one of my farmers beat it to death with a dolomite figurine of his favored deity.

I even stopped cutting down trees since the elves asked me to!  And I haven't been doing any fishing.  I hope the agitation wears off soon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57394 on: October 01, 2023, 03:54:46 pm »

The saga of the two queens in Torchsyrup has ended, as both queens have now died.  The two civilizations are still at war, and each has a new monarch, but neither is currently in my fortress.  But I plan to keep playing this world, so we'll see how it turns out.

Other news in Torchsyrup:

• I had a plan to drain a cavern layer to access a bunch of unreachable wood.  Unfortunately, a flaw in my design caused the cavern to start slowly leaking into the big dug out reservoir long before I was ready.  As a result, now the huge reservoir is nearly full and the cavern I'm draining has barely changed.  So now I'm engineering a series of small cave-ins meant to block off all the map edges where water flows into that cavern.
  • I've killed almost every Forgotten Beast in the world.  I still have one more FB and one more Titan to kill.  I'm not sure if that will be enough to end the Age of Legends - if not, my next fort or two will be devoted to Night Creature hunting.
  • I had a were-Tortoise sealed off, and was hoping to train him for military purposes.  I accidentally let him out of his enclosure.  Seeing that his transformation date was near, I sent him on an offsite mission to conquer a Kobold camp nearby.  He managed to conquer it before the transformation date, but since that date came he hasn't been heard from.

then one of my farmers beat it to death with a dolomite figurine of his favored deity.

Sounds like you found a new priest!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 04:02:10 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57395 on: October 01, 2023, 07:47:25 pm »

The agitated giant animal conga line at Relicscales has finally come to an end for now, but I received a goblin siege that went sideways.

The goblins arrived while my kobolds were picking up rocks from a nearby quarry, and I didn't realize they were still outside of the walls until the goblins were nearly at the fort.  I dispatched my soldiers immediately, but not before a goblin started shooting at my baroness with silver bolts from his crossbow.

She didn't let go of the dolomite boulder she was hauling during the hail of bolts, and she paid for it.  She took two bolts to the leg, breaking her knee and hip.  Then she took another to the lung, and another to her wrist.  I think she finally let go of the boulder at that point, since she had no choice.

To my surprise, the axe lords showed up before the goblins could finish her off, and she's now in the hospital.  The kobold that rescued her left her three babies to wander the woods though.  I don't like using DFHack to cheat, but I did teleport them back to the hospital with her at that point since I knew that anything else would mean the soldiers indifferently leaving them there to be eaten by giant hamsters.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57396 on: October 05, 2023, 11:01:33 am »

In Dwarf Fortress news, the elves did not bring any chickens, <@556192329204236319> is dragging a goose to the new fowl pasture and <@551539083034230815> has slipped into depression.

Migrants have arrived as has a weredeer. The blood crazed lycanthrope is just outside the fortress standing next to a disgruntled dwarf carrying a mug.

Since that dwarf has killed two dwarfs in fistfights I’ve simply locked the door and told him to fix the weredeer problem with his fists since he likes using them so much.

I do hope I can get the migrants inside safely while that little tussle develops.

——from a post re: a community fort I am running. Trying to get a chicken farm going for someone who raises them irl.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57397 on: October 08, 2023, 04:46:24 am »

One of my citizens gave birth to her second son.

She's not married. She doesn't have a lover either.

The father of both her children... isn't even a passing acquaintance.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57398 on: October 08, 2023, 08:51:54 am »

Damn

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57399 on: October 08, 2023, 09:22:00 am »

Damn

I mean, I knew drow were promiscuous, but this is something else, heh

(playing a modded civ of drow)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57400 on: October 11, 2023, 10:35:06 am »

A visitor turned into a wereweasel right in my second tavern.  And before my soldiers could get onto the scene the thing was being attacked by the other visitors.  Many of them undead with magical powers.  They were tossing it about and causing it pain when the visiting soldiers were not hacking it.  By the time my own troops got there it was already heavily wounded.  I still hate weres and it did bite two of my soldiers.  One, a dwarf militia captain, got walled up and the other, a human, was exiled.

Still it was funny to watch it get abused by the undead Sith Lords who were visiting.   :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57401 on: October 11, 2023, 02:20:22 pm »

A visitor turned into a wereweasel right in my second tavern.

I've had wereperson entertainers turn up before. Didn't result in violence though. I guess the audience thought it was all part of the act, for the entertainers to turn into animals and throw all their clothes on the ground ?  ???

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57402 on: October 13, 2023, 12:53:59 pm »

The 54th year of Gravearmor.

Population drops from 624 to 619 after a swordmaster dwarf goes nuts in a temple and kills 3, is killed, and 1 other dies in the fighting.

Uthimienure, what do you do to get your forts to last that long? I lost a 17-year fort to what i think was item overload from all the undead sieges and have been using save backups and atom smashers ever since. Is there anything else of note worth doing to keep the save playable over that much time?
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57403 on: October 14, 2023, 12:21:39 pm »

Hmm... good question, Wilfred of Ivanhoe.  I'm no expert. Just picked up some tips on the forum over the years.

- DFHack's cleanowned to keep down the amount of worn clothing, then trade it usually
- Regularly dump excess junk and atom smash it maybe 1 or 2 times/year
- Use autodumping stockpiles for crafts that are below a certain quality
- After stockpiling enough of various stones, dump the excess boulders
- Have most dwarves with cleaning turned on (I use Dwarf Therapist religiously)
- Try to keep the dwarves happy, of course
- IIRC I probably have werebeasts turned off in this one, it's a pretty tame fort and all the FB's are dead now
- DFHack's fix/dead-units when dead/missing list gets to several thousand may help
- Keep the number of animals low, right now there are 280 livestock for 626 citizens

I don't know which of these things contribute the most.

(edit: forgot... I use DFHack's workflow thingy (Alt-w on a job in a workshop) to keep production automated and not make too much stuff)
(edit:  DFHack's fix/drop-webs)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 12:54:50 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57404 on: October 14, 2023, 08:26:14 pm »

Well, my current City now has glass windows.  So trying to make a greenhouse on the second floor of my settlement.  I am not sure if it will work.  We will see.

(Also in trying to creat a new world with a bunch of mods I seem to have created a universe without elves - oops!)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 3825 3826 [3827] 3828 3829 ... 3836