Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220898 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #810 on: August 09, 2015, 07:22:23 am »

Wow, PTW.
This is incredibly interesting, I wonder if I looked enough I would find a pattern among the designs, like America's 'Quantity over Quality' approach.

Well, we (Arstotzka) started with a Quantity focus, mostly on relatively small improvement that we could deploy across all theaters. Moksburg started with a Size focus, making large, expensive equipment. Since then, the difference are less marked, a faction of designer favoring more advanced, complex design gained prominence in Arstotzka, giving us stuff like the AT-25 that we can barely afford even with the plains, while Moksburg finally realized the benefits of large amount of lighter weapons with stuff like the Brumby.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 09, 2015, 07:25:56 am »

Wow, PTW.
This is incredibly interesting, I wonder if I looked enough I would find a pattern among the designs, like America's 'Quantity over Quality' approach.

Well, we (Arstotzka) started with a Quantity focus, mostly on relatively small improvement that we could deploy across all theaters. Moksburg started with a Size focus, making large, expensive equipment. Since then, the difference are less marked, a faction of designer favoring more advanced, complex design gained prominence in Arstotzka, giving us stuff like the AT-25 that we can barely afford even with the plains, while Moksburg finally realized the benefits of large amount of lighter weapons with stuff like the Brumby.

To be fair, the tank was only so expensive because we got shitty rolls on cheapening a couple techs we were hoping to cheapen. Once we iron out once and for all the costs associated with the engine, it'll only be merely Expensive(and for a tank, that's all you can really ask for, or need for that matter. Don't need a tank for every soldier!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 09, 2015, 07:27:00 am »

Both nations are spending their expense credits on their main battle tanks (the AS-T25 and the T2 Breaker) this turn, bringing them from Very Expensive to Expensive. However, Moskurg is suffering from an ore shortage due to rebel attacks. With only 1 ore and 2 oil, Moskurg factories are crippled, and everyone is melting the brass buttons off of their clothes just to make bullet casings. Luckily, the T2 Breaker remains Very Expensive, with a deficit of 4 resources.

So was the T2 Expensive or Very Expensive?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 09, 2015, 07:28:20 am »

I believe it ended up Very Expensive.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 09, 2015, 07:30:14 am »

Wow, PTW.

To be fair, the tank was only so expensive because we got shitty rolls on cheapening a couple techs we were hoping to cheapen. Once we iron out once and for all the costs associated with the engine, it'll only be merely Expensive(and for a tank, that's all you can really ask for, or need for that matter. Don't need a tank for every soldier!)

#1 Stop discussing our totally secret plans!

#2 Yes, we need a tank for every soldier!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 09, 2015, 07:32:43 am »

A cheap vehicle doesn't mean a vehicle for every soldier, it just means that every soldier can ride in them instead of walking. For example, our motorbikes can take two soldiers at once, meaning we have half as many motorbikes as we do soldiers.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 09, 2015, 07:36:42 am »

Well, Cheap mean you can field as many as your cammander would like. For a rifle, it could be every soldiers, but for a plane it would just mean enough for all your pilots. Cheap is always better than expensive.

So if the Breaker was more expensive than our tanks, why isnt that mentioned in the battle report?

Also, in the tech, Belt-Fed MG is listed as expensive for Moksburg, while I guess it should be Cheap since their Sorraia isnt Expensive.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 09, 2015, 07:38:28 am »

So if the Breaker was more expensive than our tanks, why isnt that mentioned in the battle report?
Both the Breaker and the T25 are Very Expensive. This turn, both Moskurg and Arstotzka used their Expense credits to make their tanks cheaper. Both the Breaker and the T25 were Expensive this turn.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 09, 2015, 07:43:02 am »

Yeah, but a bit later, Sensei mention that the Ore shortage makes the Breaker Very Expensive again.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 09, 2015, 07:44:36 am »

Yeah, but a bit later, Sensei mention that the Ore shortage makes the Breaker Very Expensive again.
He said that the Breaker continued to be base Very Expensive. With the Expense credit, it was brought down to Expensive.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 09, 2015, 07:47:13 am »

Cheap is always better than expensive.

Not always. Moskurg's Rhino and our artillery didn't benefit from their cheapness, as you don't want hundreds of soldiers using those.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 09, 2015, 07:52:21 am »

Sensei I am really curious... What happened with Russian T15s? How they influenced the civil war? Did they develop it further? Did they create their own steam tanks?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 09, 2015, 07:53:29 am »

I cannot wait for Operation Barbarossa to succeed because all the Soviet tanks are useless coal-fired monstruosities.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 09, 2015, 07:55:59 am »

unless they actually perfected the technology to the point they have steampunk land-dreadnoughts. which will be far too easily bombed, but still...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 09, 2015, 07:58:18 am »

You know, by 39, with current rate of getting advanced weapons.... United Florenia will be able to conquer the world. They are very lucky that we are at war and not allied.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 159