Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424916 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #375 on: October 16, 2015, 10:42:38 am »

Holy crap. Did not see that coming.

Rest easy, brave dwarf, knowing that your sacrifice saved our sweet, sweet corn-stalks. And fertilised them, even! Y'know, with your brain.

A year from now that farm plot will grow the sweetest, largest corn on the cob. Every dwarf in breadbowl will walk past them, and remember in silence the loss of a brave hunter and brilliant tactitian. And that night they'll raise a mug of maize beer in your name, in memory of an overseer, a hunter... a friend.

Goodbye, dearest SQman. May weeping gorlaks sing you to your sleep.

Our Maize plants count is 1062, Whip vines is 1550.  Milled into flour for the prepared meals, Maize Flour 10, whip vine flour 42.

IIRC, Whip Vine is the next plot over, and the Maize farm plot became fallowed / destroyed so I started with Farm Plot 2 below ground first.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 16, 2015, 10:45:15 am »

First dwarven blood this year and it's me. Well, at least i've died fighting a troll, not a hamster. I'm glad I'll finally fill my pretentiously opulent silver sarcophagus and spend eternity with my favourite gorlak. Now them dwarves need to fight extra fiercely: they have to protect their farms AND avenge a delusional, eccentric ex-overseer who had almost turned the fortress into an aquarium once.

Fun fact: I actually wanted some terrifying monster to protect my tomb. Like a troll, ogre or a semi-megabeast of some kind. I've failed to catch one in time and suddenly a gorlak.

There may yet be a chance to fulfill this.  Can you assign more than 2 critters in a chain/restraint?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 16, 2015, 11:03:13 am »

There may yet be a chance to fulfill this.  Can you assign more than 2 critters in a chain/restraint?
I'd say leave the gorlak there. It's an important part of breadbowl now, just like the moat, corpse cart, red spinach cancellation spam (which you've already resolved, if I remember correctly), and that corpse in the well.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 16, 2015, 11:13:28 am »

ooc

Busted up my left knee, ow.  So I'm off today again. 

Very little story being generated, which is kinda good as I focus haulers and roads / flooring.

It's a 20 FPS crawl since I have 2 Drain Moat into Aquifer going on the West bridge. 

I also set waterwheel generator on the south east and that too is pumping. 

My triple three screw pump stack Refill Moat on the West seems to work.  I spent mostly on Notes, haha!

So it's clean up now. If invaders come, I'm turtle-ing.  Unless the dry moat encourages wall climbing... let's hope not.

Sorry for quoting myself earlier, but invaders are here today, and turtle-ing is no fun.  My avatar is Happy from Snow White, so I want happy fun times instead. 

So I'm just preparing, re-reading my past post to get back into story telling mode instead of report/building mode.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 16, 2015, 11:39:20 am »

I'd say leave the gorlak there. It's an important part of breadbowl now, just like the moat, corpse cart, red spinach cancellation spam (which you've already resolved, if I remember correctly), and that corpse in the well.

Yeah, I think the red spinach is gone (I think), or could be buried by the current Potash spam for Pearlash.

I will not be touching the corpse in the well. :)

faiy eyebrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:52 pm »

due to the excess of available dwarves may i suggest "Browedeyesfairy" for whomever seems interesting at the moment

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 16, 2015, 08:03:28 pm »

Book VI

The malice within the cloud of profane smoke had glee when it suffocates dwarves and dogs alike in seasons past.  It observes a dwarf spying the stone structure built not long ago.  The malice is puzzled when a young dwarf now dwells within its stone walls.  But the profane smoke floats through its fortifications and smothers the boy.  Alas, the boy loses consciousness and wakes up as if nothing has come to pass.  The suffocation is but temporary.  However, the malice gains knowledge of its existence that it can leave imprints of its madness upon the unconscious being. Perhaps hints of terror within dreams for the boy shows signs of madness and melancholy as time passes by.

Chapter 28 (Winds of Winter)

1st Moonstone, 240, Early Winter

I miss the mountains, even mountains lower than these misnamed The Hills of Death, great lopsided heaps of half-buried rock salt boulders, webbed with forests of glumprong trees, battered by rain most of the year. 

I want to unlock the hatch and visit the boy but duty requires of me to withhold compassion, for now. It has been three months since I locked him in.

And so I stood there, hidden behind trees so as Datan not glimpse a sight of me.  I content myself to look at the Little House in the Jungle from this proximity on this first crack of dawn of winter’s morning.  But only for a moment, because I pull off my ratty wool cap, drenched in this rain. 

I remind myself to get a helm on my way back to Breadbowl as the winds of winter blows from the northeast, biting the back of my neck.  Itching, I scratch it with Alaknikot.

--

”Datan 'Wild Child' Fliersacks will be the chosen test subject of Special Project: Little House in the Jungle.” -- unpublished mandate of `Gwolfski' Uristirtir, "`Gwolfski' Daggerdangles", duke of Breadbowl)

“Oh No!”

Drums... drums in the deep forest, and horns sound muffled by the trees can be discerned from this height.

I see Goblins and Ogres emerge from the forest edge, northeast of Breadbowl.

I am but a child. 

Why do I have to wait another year before I can pick up a crossbow and shoot these invaders?

They come. They know I am up here. 

I can smell their stench as foul as that profane smoke who molests my dreams and sanity.

I hear the yelping anguish of the dog below.  It was awful.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Crash.

I hear the door below burst into splinters. It must be Ogres’ doing.

Then followed by a gurgling dog’s last struggle.

“In the midst of conflict, I must press on!”

I am terrified while in conflict.

There are some whining too.  Good, the five cage traps serve their function.

There is metal on metal scratching sound emanating from the gold rose hatch cover. 

The hatch will not move, so they can scratch all season long.

“Go away!”

My bellow excites the horde below.

I hear grunts and roars and low howls from many more Goblins and Ogres emerging from the forest edge.

I dared a peek behind my fortifications but bolts and arrows clinked, so I duck in bed safe from sight, but not from sound.

--

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Likot of Watch reports, “Goblins and Ogres are sighted coming from the the northeast.”

I climbed above the Blacksmith and one unfinished wall has a view of the invaders from the northeast. 

ALERT! 

They are emerging from the forest edge just south and east of Datan’s house. 

Burrows are now active:  “Safe Indoors,” “Inside In-Wall,” “Wall Construction” which includes the refill  stations, “Corpse Retrieve” updated to not include the moat , and “Happy Place.”

Good, no one is out hunting.  One citizen in the west and one in the south outside the walls, probably on Corpse Duty.

--

“I don’t need this now, I have too many things to do,” I complained.

Commander Taupe says, “We can charge them!  The moat is empty and I fear they will climb up and battle inside.”

“Too soon to know.  We do have individually controlled bridges now.  We can use it to our advantage,” I reminded Taupe.

Taupe asks, “is everyone ready?”

I frowned, “My beard! That’s what I forgot to check Commander.  I must check everyone’s equipment according to Mandate #4 Metal Equipment.”

Taupe bellows, “muster Shafts, Earthen and Watch for inspection!”

--

I glimpsed the current uniforms for Shafts and Earthen: “Metal Uniform” set to “Over Clothing" and "Partial Matches."
Watch has “Leather Watch” uniform set to “Over Clothing" and "Partial Matches."

Command inspection

The uniform is simple for Shafts, Earthen: metal armor, wood shield, individual weapon.

The Shafts of Fortifying

100% Commander Taupe presents himself in almost full steel: breastplate, greaves, high boots and gauntlets; ☼iron helm☼.  He wields a steel spear and ☼lychee wood shield☼.

90% LordBrassroast is wearing a ratty wool cap.  She wields Tenshed Idith, “The Chance of Systems, a bronze spear, and ☼carambola wood shield☼.
Taupe: "LordBrassroast, really, you named your bronze spear?  That hat stinks.  Get a decent helm, will ya?"

100% Alexis. She wields an iron short sword and Konad Dodok, The Band of Clasps, a paradise nut wood shield. 
Taupe: "Now there's a fine show of attention to details."

70% Fairybrow wears a leather cap and cloth shoes.   She wields an iron battle axe and ☼paradise nut wood shield☼.
Taupe: "What in Armok's beard have you been doing? Is there shortage of metal boots?"
Fairybrow: "There none left with 'swoosh' Commander."

80% Sanctume wears wool shoes.  He wields Alaknikot, The Ace Actions, a silver mace and bitterwood orange shield.
Taupe looks at Sanctume questioningly.
Sanctume: "There is a shortage of high boots with "swoosh" engravings. Everyone wants those to jump higher!"

The Earthen Assaults

100% Captain Vortex. She wields an iron battle axe ☼glumprong shield☼.
Taupe: "Very fine example Captain."

70% Techno wear a ratty dress, a wool cap, and a leather trouser. She wields an iron battle axe and ☼olivewood shield☼.
Taupe: "What's this dress Techno? This is not acceptable."

90% Murky wears one right fur shoe.  She wields an iron battle axe and Nothokan, “The Obeisant Meditations”, a candlenut wood shield.
Murky: "I got one boot, and dunno where the other is. So I wear one."

90% Angus wears a leather cap.  She wields an bronze battle axe and ☼paradise nut wood shield☼.
Taupe growls at Angus, "why a bronze battle axe? We have 43 iron battle axes from all the duke's mandates."

Taupe: "The rest of you, find decent metal armor."

The uniform for Watch is updated to “Leather Watch” uniform: metal helm, leather armor, leather cloak, leather trouser, leather high boots, leather gloves, wood shield and crossbow.

Neighborhood Watch, muster!
Zefon Lolokdomas, Watch Captain
Onul Letmosnir
Sazir Kogankalan
Ushat Erarmistem
Cilob Vucarurol
‘Pyro' Regmorul
Udil Likottatlosh
Japa Athelgatin
Browedeyesfairy Menguling
Likot Moruldustik

Taupe looks over Watch in disgust, “You all fail! How dare you run around half naked in raggedy cloth, wool or leather? Not even one of you wears metal helms. Zefon, Watch Captain, fix yourself and this miserable bunch.”

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:07:57 pm by Sanctume »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 16, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »

The captain was furious. How could the men slack off so, after they saw the damage these goblins could do a few seasons ago? Surely the deaths of SQman and others would remind them of their own mortality, and yet...

''Armok-Damnit, why can't nobody pick up one of the new iron helmets?''

A young recruit raises his hand, uncertain.

''Sir, those helms, they... they aren't cool.
-Aren't cool?
-Yeah they... sure they're good quality but they were serial-produced. They don't have a soul, yaknow?
-Yeah sir, the new helmets don't have any swoosh! A second recruit explains.
-Like he said, continues the first. We can't be dwarves if we can't express our individuality wit--
-GET THOSE ARMOK-DAMNED IRON HELMETS!''

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 16, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »

Did Captain Vortex get new clothes under her shiny armor or is she going to mediate a discussion between the Guild and her battle axe? :)

Also... if this has been asked before I apologize... but why wooden shields and not iron shields?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 16, 2015, 09:54:52 pm »

Did Captain Vortex get new clothes under her shiny armor or is she going to mediate a discussion between the Guild and her battle axe? :)

Also... if this has been asked before I apologize... but why wooden shields and not iron shields?
Weight, from what I can gather. Lighter equipment means faster actions. A wooden shield is as good at blocking as a steel shield, I'm told. The drawbacks are that wooden shields will get damaged more easily (replacable) and shield strikes won't be as effective.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 16, 2015, 11:38:19 pm »

Metal shield will be most efficient once the soldier has decent Armor User skills, maybe Legendary level.
Otherwise, the weight of the metal shield will mean less movement and number attacks.

Shield for blocks, wood and metal functions the same. 
There are plenty of cases where once the target is down, they start shield bashing the head, and wood shields seems to deflect off metal helms. 

But when there is a mix of sword, spears and mace, the skull bash or head stab seems to be the first choice compared to shield bashes at that point. 
And slashes and hacks from sword and axe seems to deflect also versus iron helms.

I suppose, eventually, the melee will have steel shields, while the marksdwarves will use glumprong wood shields, the 2nd highest density wood at 1200, while most wood are 600 density.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 17, 2015, 12:07:38 am »

Chapter 29 (The East Gambit)

"By discovering the enemy's dispositions and remaining invisible ourselves, we can keep our forces concentrated, while the enemy's must be divided." -- Sanctume, Doctrine of Bridges

Winter Siege of Breadbowl, 240

Spoiler: Chapter 29 Siege Units (click to show/hide)

1st Moonstone, 240

Likot of Watch calmly relays, “I count 36 Goblins, and 36 Ogres and Ogress coming from the northwest.  They have slaughtered the dogs under the house, and all five traps captured some.

Taupe orders, “Relay to the hall, pull the North Quartzite bridge up.  Leave the West Bauxite, South Microline, and East Orthoclase bridges down.  And get yourself properly geared. Dismiss!”

Most of the troops are sent to equip themselves properly.

--

The horde of goblins and ogres march through the east of Breadbowl. 

Two cage traps for local wildlife manages to capture some invaders, reducing their numbers.

The current plan of execution is named, “The East Gambit.”

We invite the horde to the east bridge, and at the opportune moment, raise the bridge up and trap a handful of the horde.
Depending on the progress of the battle inside, a call to pull down the north bridge to entice the horde to change direction.  The hope is to spread out and thin the horde in manageable battles.

The south bridge remains down, for there is no direct path from the east.

The west bridge remains down also, for when the time to raise the north bridge, the hope is that the horde will even spread far to the west bridge, thinning themselves further.

--

4th Moonstone, 240

Sanctume comments, “This is cutting it close and where are the rest of the troops?”

Taupe grimaces, “We will make do.  That east bridge will be raised soon enough to cut off those who gets inside.  And get back to the barracks and wait there.”

There are 8 goblins inside Breadbowl when Neblime pulls the lever to trap them.

But the squads are still scrambling to pick up their equipment, and not in formation.

Safety Inside and Happy Place burrows are now active.

Dos engages the war dog outside the barracks which signals the start of the battle.

Recruit Dos vs Sanctume  (East door, inside blacksmith, 1v1)
Sanctume left behind Alaknikot in the weapon bin and picked up an exceptionally made silver mace instead.

Dos barges inside the barracks and is started with Sanctume waiting there.
Sanctume immediately bashes Dos in left lower arm, and fracturing bone. Dos gives in to pain.
Sanctume swings the mace and fractures skull.
As Dos falls over, the mace bashes in the head, and injured parts explores into gore.
Dos’ mangled corpse lays on the floor of the barracks.

--

Lasher Ars vs Taupe (Northwest, inside blacksmith, 1v1)
Ars moves through the blacksmith door, and whips at Taupe, but the shot is blocked.
Taupe punches Ars in left cheek, collapsing it into lump of gore.

Ars strikes Taupe, but misses.
Taupe stabs the left upper arm, fractures the arm through left shoulder bone, and lodges the steel spear in the wound. Ars loses hold of copper whip, gives in to pain, and falls over.
Taupe pulls on the embedded spear, stabs Ars’ in the head, tearing the brain through iron helm.
Ars’ corpse lay on the floor of the blacksmith.
Taupe orders, ‘lower the north bridge.”

--

Lasher Atu vs Angus (Northwest, outside blacksmith, 1v1)
Atu strikes Angus, but the shot is blocked.
Angus scratches Atu in the right hand, severing motor nerve.
Atu losses hold of the iron scourge, gives into pain, and falls over.
Angus tries to finish Atu with two shield bashes in the head, but deflected by the copper helm.

Lasher Stozu joins Lasher Atu vs Angus (2v1)
Stozu strikes with the copper scourge so viciously that Angus jumps away.

Lasher Stozu + Lasher Atu vs Angus is joined by Murky (2v2)
Murky arrives and hacks at the prone Atu, decapitating the head.
Atu loses hold of copper helm, iron shield.
Atus’s mutilated corpse, and head lays on the ground outside the Blacksmith.

Stozu continues the vicious attacks on Angus, but Angus jumps away.
Angus counterstrikes at Stozu, but the shot is easily parried.

Angus hacks Stozu in the upper body, but deflected by iron mail shirt.
Stozu attacks Angus, but Angus jumps away.
Murky hacks Stozu in the upper body, but deflected by iron mail shirt.

Maceman Dang joins Lasher Stozu vs Angus + Murky (2v2)
Murky charges surprising ferocity and knocks over Stozu.
Stozu dazedly attacks Murky and misses.

Dang strikes at Murky but the shot is deftly parried.
Murky counters by hacking Dang’s left arm and severed parts sails off.
Dang loses hold of the silk glove and silver morningstar.
Dang’s left hand is on the ground.

Murky, “How fleeting life is… This doesn’t scare me.”

Dang jabs at Murky, twice missing.
Murky hacks Dang’s upper lip, injures parts is cloven asunder.

Stozu stands up, and misses Angus.
Angus shield bashes Stozu in the right lower leg, bruising the muscle.

--

Spearman Ozud stabs the war dog in the head with her silver spear killing it.
Angus, “So easily broken… This doesn’t scare me.”
Murky, “Death… This cannot horrify me.”

--

Swordman Xung and Spearman Ozud joins Maceman Dang + Lasher Stozu vs Angus + Murky (4v2)
Stozu misses Angus.
Angus punches Stozu in the left foot, injured parts explodes into gore.

Xung misses Murky.
Murky punches Dang in the upper lip bruising muscle.
Ozud attacks Murky, but Murky jumps away!

--

The North Quartzite Bridge is now down in hopes the siege outside trickles north instead of trying to climb up the walls.

--

Dang misses Murky twice.
Murky hacks Dang’s right foot, severed pats sails off.
Dang loses socks, sandals, and falls over.
Dang’s right foot is on the ground.

Ozud attacks Murky but the shot is blocked.

Angus shield bashes Stozu twice in the head but deflected by the copper helm.
Xung misses Angus.

Ozud missed Murky.
Murky hacks Ozud in the right lower arm, severed parts sail off.
Ozud loses hold of glove and silver spear.

Xung misses Angus
Dang with no left hand, and no right foot, still attacks Angus from the ground, missing.
Angus jumps on and bites Dang in the left foot, bruising muscles, and latching firmly.

--

Swordman Smut  joins Swordman Xung + Spearman Ozud joins Maceman Dang + Lasher Stozu vs Angus + Murky (5v2)

The battle splits into two cluster.

Swordman Smut  joins Spearman Ozud vs Murky (2v1)
Ozud strikes at Murky but the shot was deftly parried.
Murky charges Ozud, knocks him over tumbling backwards.

Ozud stands up and misses Murky.
Murky bites Ozud in the left foot, fracturing bone and shattering left ankle.
Murky latches on firmly.
Ozud falls over and gives in to pain.

Smut misses Murky.

--

Murky shakes Ozud around by the left foot, tearing apart muscle and bone.
Murky hacks Ozud in the head, severed parts sail off.
Ozud’s mutilated corpse and head is on the ground.

Lasher Stozu  + Maceman Dang + Swordman Xung vs Angus (3v1)
Dang misses Angus.
Angus shakes Dang around by the left foot, tearing muscle and bruising bone.
Dang misses Angus.

Xung misses Angus

--

Angus punches Dang in the left upper leg, fracturing bone.
Dang gives in to pain.

Xung charges Angus, collides, and they tangle together and tumble forward.
Angus stands up.

--

Angus strikes Xung in the right lower leg with the shield, bruising bone.
Xung misses Angus.
Angus strikes Xung in the right hand with the shield, injured part is crushed.
An artery has been opened.
Xung loses hold of the copper two-handed sword, and gives into pain.
Angus strikes at Xung in the head twice with her wood shield, but deflected by the iron helm.
Angus continuously strikes at Xung in the head twice with her wood shield, but deflected by the iron helm.

--

Swordman Smut  vs Murky is joined by Vortex
Smut misses Vortex.
Vortex scratches Smut’s fourth toe, shattering nail.
Smut misses Vortex.
Murky hacks Smut’s left foot, injured parts is cloven asunder.
An artery has been opened.
Smut falls over.

--

Smut strikes at Vortex, but the shot is parried.
Vortex hacks Smut in the right lower leg, inured part is cloven asunder.
An artery opens.
Murky kicks Smut in the left foot, shattering bone.
Smut misses Vortex.

--

Vortex hacks Smut’s right hand, injured part is cloven asunder.
Murky hacks Smut’s head, injured part is cloven asunder.
Smut’s mangled corpse is on the ground.
Vortex, “Death… This cannot horrify me.”
Angus, “Death is all around us. This cannot horrify me.”

--

Murky hacks Lasher Stozu’s head, severed parts sails off
Stozu loses hold of the copper helm, copper shield, and copper scourge.
Stozu’s mutilated corpse and head is on the ground.

--

Dang have bled to death from multiple head bruising, and missing limbs.
Dang’s mutilated corpse is on the ground.
Techno, “Death… This is truly horrifying.”

Techno joins and hacks Xung’s head but deflected by the iron helm.

Alexis joins, and stabs Xung’s head, tearing the muscle and shattering the skull.
The iron short sword has lodged in the wound.
Xung’s corpse is on the ground.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:11:36 pm by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 17, 2015, 12:11:41 am »

ooc: I will be out of town this weekend and will be back Sunday night.

I have raw notes for the next chapter, so perhaps I can work on them, but no promises.

Have a good weekend everyone :)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 17, 2015, 01:21:41 am »

Enjoy your weekend, Sanctume!

As for Japa, that was a cool overview of the fortress. Just how many viewing utilities did you make?

And for my dwarf, he... seems to have a habbit of bitch-slapping nemeies's faces into a pulp mid-conversation. This is immensely bad-ass and I approve of it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 17, 2015, 01:52:11 am »

As for Japa, that was a cool overview of the fortress. Just how many viewing utilities did you make?

Isoworld, Dorven Realms, and Armok Vision. I did a lot with Stonesense, but I wouldn't call it my project.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 105