Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 212343 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #435 on: November 17, 2015, 03:29:37 pm »

...Right. So apart from Haerdalas and her father, the entire royal family is composed of goblinists and cacti. We live by a sentient lake and the country is ravaged by the power of love. This succession fort is quickly becoming something weird.
Also, this quote should really go on the front page.
It's a fine sum up of our current situation!

I'm not sure if I'm completely aware of the game mechanics, but shouldn't someone get automatically assigned as a king/queen if we were to have the last dwarves left of our civ? Also, do rulers go to exile? I vaguely remember someone encountering a king in adventure mode somewhere in the wilds..
In ConstrucIvory, after the queen died, a member of the fortress bargained with her like three firends and called herself the new monarch. So yes, someone will be assigned the title of queen down the line if the current queen bites the dust.

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 17, 2015, 04:26:16 pm »

Haerdalas II would just like to note that despite the rather meteoric rise of her social standing in recent months, she would really rather not be made baroness (Oh god no). She is a military Dorf through and through, and does not like the implications that she would be made to hide away in some overly plush room whilst battles occurred elsewhere. (Also, I don't want Haerdalas to be euthanised once she inevitably issues an un-fillable edict.)

Seriously though, everyone related to my dorf seems to have shot up in status, what with all those mayors and the queen herself being family now....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 04:46:31 pm by Haerdalas »

Blitzgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I get myself into these things?
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 17, 2015, 05:54:59 pm »

I just want to know who switched me from making crossbows to cooking.
Microline for everyone!

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 17, 2015, 06:26:19 pm »

...Right. So apart from Haerdalas and her father, the entire royal family is composed of goblinists and cacti. We live by a sentient lake and the country is ravaged by the power of love. This succession fort is quickly becoming something weird.
Also, this quote should really go on the front page.
It's a fine sum up of our current situation!

I'm not sure if I'm completely aware of the game mechanics, but shouldn't someone get automatically assigned as a king/queen if we were to have the last dwarves left of our civ? Also, do rulers go to exile? I vaguely remember someone encountering a king in adventure mode somewhere in the wilds..

I've played fortresses where rule passed to one of my dwarves in the first year or so, this is usually in a fort with a long dead pop. Lately, I've been playing a fortress in a world where (as best as I can follow) the elves and goblins have merged and conquered everything. My starting civ turned out to be technically dead on embark even though we had a king. (I checked through legends and I think he was even appointed king by our conquerors The Confusing Orange.) I made it my goal to try to find out if puppet kings of dead civilizations could be summoned to a fortress in order to revive the dwarven species. Then I essentially spent the next five years locked in the fortress avoiding a slew of titans and sieges. When we finally surfaced for air, I was shocked by the arrival of an outpost liaison who informed us that during our five years of chronic siege the former king had been displaced by a queen, nobles had been appointed where before we only had a king, and a whole bunch of fortresses started. In summation: I don't know crap about how civs go about dying and coming back or the politics behind elevation to the monarchy. They seem pretty arbitrary.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:59 pm »

In summation: I don't know crap about how civs go about dying and coming back or the politics behind elevation to the monarchy. They seem pretty arbitrary.
Chaos isn't a pit; it's a ladder...

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 18, 2015, 03:29:31 pm »

Haerdalas II would just like to note that despite the rather meteoric rise of her social standing in recent months, she would really rather not be made baroness (Oh god no). She is a military Dorf through and through, and does not like the implications that she would be made to hide away in some overly plush room whilst battles occurred elsewhere. (Also, I don't want Haerdalas to be euthanised once she inevitably issues an un-fillable edict.)

Seriously though, everyone related to my dorf seems to have shot up in status, what with all those mayors and the queen herself being family now....
You are able to be in the military and also be the baron/ess, but if you get removed from your squad for any reason you can't be put back in so it can be annoying.

Also relevant:

Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 18, 2015, 03:45:18 pm »

I suspect it was me that made you a chef Blitz, because I don't think we had a bowyer's workshop at the time.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 18, 2015, 03:49:45 pm »

I suspect it was me that made you a chef Blitz, because I don't think we had a bowyer's workshop at the time.
Or trees.

And also, everyone was dead. The crossbow count was higher than the dwarf count. Some jobs had to be filled.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 18, 2015, 05:25:14 pm »

Or trees.

And also, everyone was dead. The crossbow count was higher than the dwarf count. Some jobs had to be filled.

Did we keep that one highwood tree at the edge of the map, BTW? Or are we actually 100% out of trees now?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 18, 2015, 07:42:33 pm »

I was trying to cut down mushrooms at the time, so I suspect you're right.

I only had a few deaths my turn though. Maybe it wasn't me?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 18, 2015, 10:39:00 pm »

I'm on obsidian now, so I'll be wrapping up my turn soon.

EDIT: Damn it, you put it on the poll Taupe, I thought it would be cool to have strategically. But I didn't think it would be important enough to bother with so I removed it from my post. I didn't bother digging drains at all during the rest of my turn during obsidian, so if people are interested, someone else will have to do it.

Did we keep that one highwood tree at the edge of the map, BTW? Or are we actually 100% out of trees now?

That tree is still standing. Technically we still have plenty of trees, its just that they are all in the caverns.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:23:48 am by Zuglarkun »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 19, 2015, 09:27:55 am »

SAVE IS UP. Click Me!
I reverted back to ASCII before saving. Let me know if the save doesn't check out properly.
Write up to follow soon.

Here's a preview.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:40:41 am by Zuglarkun »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #447 on: November 19, 2015, 10:37:17 am »

Right. Got this starting Saturday
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 20, 2015, 02:31:42 am »

-----Foundation of Magma and Fire-----

1st Moonstone 205

I feel a change in the air. Winter comes in the Desert of Dreams, though it is different here than in the frozen lands to the east where I come from. The relentless sun continues to blaze overhead, though the dryness of the air is relieved by the arrival of sporadic seasonal monsoon rains.

No, perhaps it is more accurate to say that this feeling of change comes from the progress we have made. This past year, I've been busy trying to lay a stable foundation for the Channels of Melting; a foundation fueled by magma and the fires of industry. With the magma pump stack fully operational, the power of dwarven engineering is at our grasp. But it is not enough, I have to look towards bolstering other areas that I deem are still weak. A day of reckoning is on the horizon, and we will need all that we can muster to withstand it.

But for now we shall put another foot forward.

With magma cremation possible, the old refuse pit on the surface has been rendered obsolete. I'm having it dismantled and the pit floored over. The levers will also have to go.

5th Moonstone 205

The lake may have its share of horrible secrets, but nothing will come of it if we only avoid it in fear. We have to force it to yield its bounty by delving deep. Already our miners are hard at work excavating the flux deposits beneath the lake.

Conveniently, the flux deposits utilize the same route as the clay collection. Soon we shall strike down our foes with cold unyielding dwarven steel. I've commissioned a full implement of steel weaponry to replace the old stores. I can already hear some of the veterans protesting, arguing that the old gear is still serviceable. Bah! Their foolish sentiments cloud their thinking. In time, they will come to appreciate these new weapons as much as the old.

11th Moonstone 205

Still, we have to pay the price for progress. Tantrums abound as more infighting goes on. Zon! Zon! Was my show of clemency futile? I am already regretting my decision to spare Litast. Her wretched ways are getting to be a nuisance.
Spoiler: Infighting (click to show/hide)

13th Moonstone 205

Most of the flooring orders for the well have been completed. We now have enough manpower freed up to operate the magma pumpstack. We don't have any elven or goblin captives for the ritual ceremonial sacrifices, so I have instead prepared 3 dogs and a keg of dwarven rum to appease the gods.
Spoiler:  Let us commence! (click to show/hide)

19th Moonstone 205

With the magma dikes filling, I order the water cisterns in the caverns to be filled.

3rd Opal 205

A newly forged set of steel weaponry has been handed out to our veterans to replace their old ones. 4 ☼steel swords☼, 2 ☼steel battle axes☼ and 2 ☼steel spears☼. More will come in the days to follow.

14th Opal 205

With the southern magma dike nearing full capacity, I ordered the rest of the inner magma dike walls to be completed so we can proceed with filling the other sections.
Spoiler: More construction (click to show/hide)

17th Opal 205

The magma dike is filling along nicely and soon we should be able to switch to another section to fill.
Spoiler: Its a slow process (click to show/hide)

26th Opal 205

The inner dike walls are complete, as well as construction for the well. I order the water to be brought up into into the new well cistern.
Spoiler: New well cistern (click to show/hide)

3rd Obsidian 205

The 1st magma dike section is filled, so I decide to let everyone take a break. Time to see to moving the forges above ground. I've decided to dismantle one of the farming areas and use it as a magma cistern for the forges. This should speed up future melting efforts by quite a bit.

12th Obsidian 205

I have reports from our furnace operators that some odd rumblings were heard down in the cavern layers, they report that it was different from the usual shambling of feet by the undead. Meanwhile, preparations are complete to fill the forge cistern.

While waiting for the forges to fill to capacity, I took the time to have a look around the fortress.
Spoiler: Forges filling (click to show/hide)

Wandering the halls, I came upon engravings of the symbols of our civilization and government. Ah yes, I'm reminded that I'm no longer a part of Lînemenur. This place is home now.

I pondered over that last engraving 'The Destined Work' for a while, as my thoughts began to coalesce. Yes, perhaps all this was preordained. Perhaps Boardsomber was destined to fall, and we are destined to succeed it. I continued on, poring over another engraving depicting the settling of this land, and I'm reminded of all the hardships we had to endure to get to this point. There was still a long way to go before we could succeed Boardsomber as the mountainhome.
Spoiler: Settlers settled (click to show/hide)

Next I came into a hall where the statues of our pioneers were arranged tastefully. I took a good look at all their faces, and sighed in melancholy as I was reminded of our fragility and our mortality. Two remain out of the original seven. In the tough times ahead, could they be counted on to lead us?
Spoiler: 7 Pioneers (click to show/hide)

I moved on to the next hall and as I gazed at the statues arranged there, a sense of foreboding came over me. Averting my gaze, I quickly moved on.
Spoiler: A premonition? (click to show/hide)

I moved on and as I looked at the statues, I'm reminded that our progress has come at a cost. Many lives were put to the grinder, trampled upon in order for us to secure a foothold here in the Desert of Dreams.

I moved on from the hall, feeling solemn and rather disturbed.
Spoiler: Death claims all (click to show/hide)

I made my way to the unfinished temple complex, housing the shrines of the various deities here. I made a quick prayer to the various deities enshrined here, but I could not find my own patron deities; Zan and Cog. Most ominous, are my kind not welcome here? I gazed at the statues of the other deities and implored them for guidance instead.

I am humbled but I remain optimistic. Through perseverance and sacrifice we have managed to triumph over adversity.
Spoiler: Glory to the dwarves! (click to show/hide)

We shall not falter, for this is only the laying of a foundation. There will be more challenges ahead,

24th Obsidian 205

Litast was spotted inside the forge chambers that were still filling with magma. I have no idea how she got there, but I have a bad feeling about this.
Spoiler: A suicidal dwarf (click to show/hide)

I don't know if I can act quickly enough to save the wretch, as there is still danger of magma overflow. Despite these interruptions, I've begun the procedure to fill another section of the magma dike.

My term as overseer draws to a close as I make my way up to the mayor's office to submit the overseer logbook.
Spoiler: Documents submitted (click to show/hide)

Maybe now I'll have the time to pore over the package that the outpost liaison handed me last season? I signed off on the official documents, as I watched the mayor interview the next prospective overseer.
Spoiler: Next in line (click to show/hide)

Spring has arrived on the calendar.

SAVE IS HERE: Click Me!
(Same as the previous link)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:07:44 am by Zuglarkun »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 20, 2015, 03:01:50 pm »

That engraving of the zombie rutherer killing the forgotten beast? I'm 90% sure that happened during my turn. Said forgotten beast had poison... spit, I think it was, that caused death by massive bleeding soon after exposure. It's a good thing that it's a zombie now.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 83